A warning to prospective buyers:

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mourne

The drums and even the guitars are coming out defective at an alarming rate. I've went through two bundles already, both of which had major problems. The red & yellow on the drumset didn't work unless you seriously hit them as hard as you could, and the bass pedal never registered a single time after much testing and fiddling. There were a lot of plastic pieces missing as well (both sets, even after the exchange) that were definitely supposed to be there. First guitar worked fine... for about three songs. Then, the downstrum stopped working. Then, the touchpad stopped shortly after. Played around with it and couldn't get it to work again. I went and exchanged it, got the exact same problems with the drumkit and the guitar didn't work at all this time around. I'll be going right for a refund when I go out later. You'd think after all the shit-talking we heard from the Neversoft guy (Brian Bright or who-not) that they'd have this sorted out. I guess it pays off to be as humble as the Harmonix guys have been.

Sorry for the brief post, too tired to delve into it more. Just telling everyone to be ready if they plan to pick this up today.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By brukaoru

I heard this from someone as well. He said the green pad doesn't work unless he hits it really hard and that causes crosswalk, blue pad also didn't register 100% of the time for him. He also said he cruised message boards and he couldn't find any posts that talked about people's drumsets working, they are all complaining about defects.

Sounds like a major recall may be in order?

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Jesus fuckin' Christ it's always something isn't it?! What the fuck happened Red Octane? You used to make good, reliable shit and now ever since the Les Paul came out with the shitty button response you guys have been screwing the consumer left and right!!!!

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#4  Edited By Vinchenzo

Thought they would have learned from the numerous amount of defective Rock Band sets last year.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By kush

That sucks...sounds worse than the issue with the initial RB guitars. Thankfully I don't have to worry since I won't be shelling out another $200 for some more plastic instruments.

Balls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Balls

yeah, they're learning that it's tough to make an electrical device that you are supposed to beat the shit out of. Real electric drums cost over 4 million dollars a drum pad.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Megalon

Thanks for the heads up, I was just about to go buy the bundle too...maybe I'll wait for a bit.

sdodd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sdodd02

mmm, that sucks, good thing I'm probably just buying the disc.

Elijah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Elijah
Balls said:
"Real electric drums cost over 4 million dollars a drum pad."
4.5 million, actually.
Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Thunder

hmmm maybe ill just wait until they sort this out

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By brukaoru
Prepare for laughs:
Originally Posted by Activision Support Site
"If you find that the drum pads are not sensitive enough or that they are too sensitive try hitting the drum pad a little softer or harder. The pads may feel different from other drum games that you may have played."
Elijah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Elijah
brukaoru said:
Prepare for laughs:
"If you find that the drum pads are not sensitive enough or that they are too sensitive try hitting the drum pad a little softer or harder. The pads may feel different from other drum games that you may have played."
No, don't you get it! They are just setting themselves out from the crowd!

Activision is offering all of us a UNIQUE E-DRUMMING EXPERIENCE!  You should appreciate it!
Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mourne
brukaoru said:
"Prepare for laughs:
Ohhh, so that's what it was!!11!!11

I just got a full refund. Thank you, Wal-Mart.
Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By Yit

Dang. Plastic instruments must be hard to manufacture.

Timma1083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Timma1083
brukaoru said:
"
Prepare for laughs:
"
Very Smooth Activision. Can't wait for the rest of your responses to these hardware issues.

I'm now wondering if I really want to upgrade on my guitar, I'm going to pick it up later....but I might just get the game with this going on.
Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mourne

An actual quote from the project director at Neversoft, Brian Bright, from a few months ago (in regards to why he thinks GH:WT's equipment will be far superior to RB's): "They can pick up the standalone version of World Tour and use those instruments, and when they break they can buy ours."

Not so easy, eh, Bright-boy.

Timma1083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Timma1083

Ok, after reading this thread, I went to both the GH and RB forums to read up on complaints about the game...there has been missing cymbal bolts from drums, missing drum frames, drums not picking up hits, faulty tilt sensors, broken strum bars, MISSING KICK PEDAL IN BUNDLE?!? (WTF???), and the game has even gone to the lengths of not picking up a drum controller as a drum controller, but instead thinking it's a normal controller.

Link to all complaints thread, read and prepare to laugh

Good show Activision, good show.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mourne
Timma1083 said:
"...but instead thinking it's a normal controller."
My second guitar was doing that. No matter what I did, it would not register as a guitar.

IGN put up their review of it a few minutes ago: 7.9, compared to their 9.0 for Rock Band 2. It'll be interesting to see what GB gives it.
Timma1083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Timma1083
Mourne said:
"Timma1083 said:
"...but instead thinking it's a normal controller."
My second guitar was doing that. No matter what I did, it would not register as a guitar.

IGN put up their review of it a few minutes ago: 7.9, compared to their 9.0 for Rock Band 2. It'll be interesting to see what GB gives it."
Yeah, I posted a topic about that the same time you posted this..

Anyway, It'll be interesting to see what others give it, I'm still wondering who will win review wise, since sales wise I could care less about.
Farley_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Farley_Lives

Well I guess I'm the cause scenario that's been problem free. My set work fine haven't had problems at all. I think shipping may have fucked them up when i was at walmart half the boxes for world tour we busted up. Luckily I got my set from the back and the box didn't have a mark on it.

The guitars and mics don't seem to have the problems, the drums seem to be the thing that come defective. But the things works hella good for me and i'm really liking the cymbol placements and the drum heads. IF you can get a working set this is the one to own. As a side note i have to say the plastic cymbol knobs were in the but i had to tear the whole box aprt to find them trown in a corner.  Leads me to believe this is a manufactur issue, and not red octane's blunder.

m1k3ines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By m1k3ines

I was just reading about this on kotaku, and i tried to cancel  my order on amazon but it turns out that they shipped it out already. O well, fingers crossed that i dont get any problems

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Snail

So Rock Band 2 = wisest choice.

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx
Snail said:
"So Rock Band 2 = wisest choice."
Yep, pretty much seems like it.
Now the only thing is wait til it comes to europe... maybe this year?
=( 
Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Fuck me running... I'm damned glad I decided not to buy the bundle.

inevpatoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By inevpatoria

Good god.  This is atrocious. 

I hate being that guy, but I love the irony in Activision's thinking their instruments would be far more durable.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Wow, sounds like a mess of a game. Good thing I'm not buying :(

BranDong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BranDong
Timma1083 said:
"Ok, after reading this thread, I went to both the GH and RB forums to read up on complaints about the game...there has been missing cymbal bolts from drums, missing drum frames, drums not picking up hits, faulty tilt sensors, broken strum bars, MISSING KICK PEDAL IN BUNDLE?!? (WTF???), and the game has even gone to the lengths of not picking up a drum controller as a drum controller, but instead thinking it's a normal controller.

Link to all complaints thread, read and prepare to laugh

Good show Activision, good show."
I bet they have some fucking assholes working in their packaging and manufacturing department that have something against rhythm games..  I.E. the same guys that post abut how people should play real instruments!  Those dirty bastards.  Or they could just have dirt bags working there
Farley_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Farley_Lives

Nix my previous comment. My orange went bad today, doesn't register half the time. Screw it i'm gonna return it. I don't want to deal with any plastic insturments any more.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By TheJollyRajah

I still have my original RB set in perfect shape and I use it at least twice a week. And I've had many RB parties and all-nighters... still no defects.

Ever since Harmonix left GH it has become a second rate rhythm game. I think I'll stay with RB thank you very much.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By SSbabel

Damn that's bad news, oh well shit happens.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I wasn't expecting this. Oh well, I was only going to get the disk anyway and just use my rock band instruments, so no real loss there.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By MetalGearSunny
brukaoru said:
"
Prepare for laughs:
"
Oh bullshit!
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Shadow

Even when they work fine, it's still an inferior drum kit.  It would be different if the cymbals were actually used as symbols, but that's not the case.  Instead, they just had to make those triangle things into more drum pads.  The result from what I've played, is an awkward drumming experience that doesn't allow you to move between pads fast enough.

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JohnDudebro

Mine seem to work just fine. The one problem is on my slide neck on my guitar, where the yellow part flickers. The drums have no problems.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By Snail
Solid_SnakeXx said:
"Snail said:
"So Rock Band 2 = wisest choice."
Yep, pretty much seems like it.
Now the only thing is wait til it comes to europe... maybe this year?
=( "
You share my sister's pain. Because I don't really care about this game.. And Rockband 2 will most likely only come out in Europe mid 2009, I'm just guessing.
JJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By JJ

So far some of my guitar fret buttons seem to be sticky.  I think my strum bar is getting loose. This is only a day after release.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By RHCPfan24

Thanks.  I was planning on buying a guitar. I'll wait awhile.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.