Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guitar Hero

Franchise »

Pick up your plastic guitars and rock out to your favorite rock songs from the 50s to the present!

Rumor: Konami to Publish Guitar Hero Arcade?

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    Call me crazy, but I sitll wish that Konami would just bring GuitarFreaks (and its soundtrack) to the US.
    Call me crazy, but I sitll wish that Konami would just bring GuitarFreaks (and its soundtrack) to the US.
    The fine folks over at Arcade Heroes picked up a rumor from the rhythm game lovers at bemanistyle.com that features an wild company combination at its core.

According to rumors that have been kicking around a month or so, Chicago-based Raw Thrills has been hard at work on an arcade version of Guitar Hero. Eugene Jarvis' Raw Thrills is one of the remaining handful of arcade game producers here in the States, and the company is responsible for games like Target Terror, Big Buck Safari, and The Fast and the Furious: Drift. The company is also believed to be working on an upcoming game based on American Idol.

Considering the company's pedigree and that there really aren't many other domestic developers left to complete such a task, it seems reasonable that they'd be the go-to guys for a Guitar Hero arcade cabinet. However, the rumor gets a bit weirder, with Bemani Style claiming that it has heard from a "very reliable source" that Konami would be the publisher.

The last time we heard from Konami about domestic rhythm games (Rock Revolution notwithstanding) was a lawsuit flung in the direction of Harmonix, MTV, and Viacom over the whole "hey, we made those plastic instruments first" thing. Back in 2007, Gamasutra noticed that the fine print on Activision's Guitar Hero pages references Konami-owned patents, leading people to assume that Konami and Activision must have already reached some sort of agreement.

So... if they're already past the whole "you stole this thing" part of the relationship, why not take things a step further and let Konami, a company still in the business of producing guitar-laden arcade cabinets in Japan, handle Activision's Raw Thrills-developed baby? It's so crazy, it just might work. But we'll have to wait until Tuesday to find out, as that's when the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions show--where all this is supposedly going down--starts.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    The fine folks over at Arcade Heroes picked up a rumor from the rhythm game lovers at bemanistyle.com that features an wild company combination at its core.

According to rumors that have been kicking around a month or so, Chicago-based Raw Thrills has been hard at work on an arcade version of Guitar Hero. Eugene Jarvis' Raw Thrills is one of the remaining handful of arcade game producers here in the States, and the company is responsible for games like Target Terror, Big Buck Safari, and The Fast and the Furious: Drift. The company is also believed to be working on an upcoming game based on American Idol.

Considering the company's pedigree and that there really aren't many other domestic developers left to complete such a task, it seems reasonable that they'd be the go-to guys for a Guitar Hero arcade cabinet. However, the rumor gets a bit weirder, with Bemani Style claiming that it has heard from a "very reliable source" that Konami would be the publisher.

The last time we heard from Konami about domestic rhythm games (Rock Revolution notwithstanding) was a lawsuit flung in the direction of Harmonix, MTV, and Viacom over the whole "hey, we made those plastic instruments first" thing. Back in 2007, Gamasutra noticed that the fine print on Activision's Guitar Hero pages references Konami-owned patents, leading people to assume that Konami and Activision must have already reached some sort of agreement.

So... if they're already past the whole "you stole this thing" part of the relationship, why not take things a step further and let Konami, a company still in the business of producing guitar-laden arcade cabinets in Japan, handle Activision's Raw Thrills-developed baby? It's so crazy, it just might work. But we'll have to wait until Tuesday to find out, as that's when the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions show--where all this is supposedly going down--starts.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

First.

I've never gotten to say that and have it actually work.  Anyways...I think it'd be rad.  I always loved the competition you could have in the arcades.

The only thing I'm wondering is how the hell you will keep the equipment fresh enough for good gameplay.  I mean, here at work, guitars die rather quick from all the abuse people put into them.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Funny. Since Rock Revolution is such a bomb, they're trying to get in on Guitar Hero's action.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Scooper

That's totally wierd, but it would work in arcades. Do arcades still exist? I mean real arcades, not like a few '04 arcade machines to the side of a bowling alley.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By OmegaPirate

we get time crisis in cinemas and bowling alleys over here in the uk - that is all :(

Video_Tycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Video_Tycoon

@Scooper, at our Galaxy Cinema we have an arcade, everything from virtual bowling to racing wheels to Duck Hunt esque horror games.

nanifear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By nanifear

I know this thread about to catch on fire and all but I think everyone in the WORLD should be able to say that they have heard one of the GREATEST PROMO INTERVIEWS EVER..Jason Ellis pro skater/ SIrius radio "FACTION 28"  VS. LLcoolJ .  You are all welcome.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTsh85vH3tE&feature=related

GiantGUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By GiantGUS

Well, here in Brazil there are official Guitar Hero Arcades. They are made by a local arcade company called Diverbras.

thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thordain

Holy crap the team is still alive. You guys take a vacation over the weekend or somethin?

Dig_Douglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dig_Douglas

I could have sworn I have seen a Guitar Hero arcade machine in theaters in Illinois.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Milkman

As cool as that sounds, I don't think it really matters all that much. Even if this thing did get made, there really aren't any arcades left to go and play this. 

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By dsplayer1010

It makes sense I guess. I think I remember Jeff saying in the podcast that Konami had lisensed a patent to Activision for the cymbals on the drums.

jangofett88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By jangofett88

Wow. Provided this happens, Konami was quick to abandon Rock Revolution.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By zoozilla

That is crazy.  The kind of crazy only Konami could pull off.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Systech

Well, this might end up spawning a huge boost for Guitar Hero sales in Japan. I'm sure if they wanted to focus on the US side of things, they would have gotten a US publisher to do it and who would want to do that anyway?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By toowalrus

I've always said Guitar Hero would be good in an arcade, ever since my brother begs for rides to Best Buy so he can knock off the high score.

headcase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By headcase

It's win-win. Activision hands Konami a ton of money to produce the cabinets, and in return Konami will assure Activision that Rock Band Japan never sees retail shelves.

Everyone benefits. (except consumers)

@Jangofett: And with good reason lol. Actually, they may have only made RR to give their patents a little more legitimacy. IANAL, but at least in some countries, a patent can risk premature expiration if it isn't used\licensed enough. The other explanation for making that (alleged) trainwreck is that they actually thought their product would compete, or at least sell with the less-informed crowd.

You know, I might have at least rented RR if they just threw in some KOs (Konami Originals). Why does DDR have too many and RR too few (zero)?
    kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By kennybaese

<quote> This is crazy. The kind of crazy only Konami could pull off <quote>

So was Rock Revolution. But yeah, they did the original plastic guitar game, and it stayed in Japan. They have the know how to do it me thinks.

ferrarimanf355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ferrarimanf355

"Funny. Since Rock Revolution is such a bomb, they're trying to get in on Guitar Hero's action."

My thought exactly.

Am I the only one happy to see Raw Thrills do so well? I like Target Terror and FNF Drift. They're fun, mindless time wasters.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By Keeng
    Two Things:

1) Levio91
    said:
    "Come on when am i going to get a rap music game."
    I want one too but when you think about it, that would probably just be a karaoke game. BOOOOOO. DJ Hero could maybe be this game but I doubt it since you don't use the same methods to make every beat in rap music like you use a guitar to make rock in Guitar Hero.

2) I'm pretty sure I've already seen the GH arcade game. I thought I saw it months ago at a movie arcade when the movie House Bunny came out in theaters. The next time I go to this movie theater (it's called Celebration Cinema and it's in Lansing, MI) I'll take a picture my damned self! Until then, here's a picture I found online. The photographer says it was in a Bangkok mall.

caption
    caption
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Media_Master

meh

mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mthe1337one

totally un-related...but it's sad seeing Konami struggle to even release something such as Rock Revolution.  they must be kicking themselves not that they realize how popular guitar music rhythm games are in the U.S.

dv8withn8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dv8withn8

Umm... Guitar Hero has been in arcades for a a while now. There's a GH:III machine in my local theatre's lobby. It's been there for months now.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By Keeng
    dv8withn8 said:
    "Umm... Guitar Hero has been in arcades for a a while now. There's a GH:III machine in my local theatre's lobby. It's been there for months now."
    Yeah, see?
    Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By Yit

Bad idea is bad.      

Xomiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Xomiv

I played this today at IAAPA. Seems to just be a slightly modified GH3 with world tour guitars. Just don't expect to use the touch pad on the guitar, the Raw Thrills rep I spoke with briefly said it was just "for decoration".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.