Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

hackmud

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Sep 22, 2016

hackmud is a 90's inspired text-based multiplayer hacking simulator adventure game from developer Drizzly Bear.

Anyone else playing?

chrisjames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

After playing for a few hours I cannot get this game off my mind. It does so many interesting things really well from the 'tutorial' to the mischievous nature of the multiplayer which feels a lot like playing a very open ended game of The Resistance where you have no idea who to trust. I have only gotten started with what is possible with the in-game script writing but I'm excited to see where that leads. It's a bit daunting at first but for me it was worth it.

Any other duders playing it?

ClockworkTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I want to but schoolwork is getting in the way.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I hadn't heard of this until now and it sounds very intriguing... I would like to hear the opinion of someone who already knows how to program too - I found the coding in Quadrilateral Cowboy a little too simplified for my taste.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrisjames: I've been holding off after hearing about the server issues. That all sorted out?

chrisjames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By chrisjames

@bollard If I get the time I would love to write up something more detailed when it comes to the programming in the game to both help any new people interested and showcase the depth of it. From what I read and seen Quadrilateral Cowboy has you write pseudocode more akin to Hack 'n' Slash where hackmud the scripts you write are in JavaScript and can even store stuff in a DB. Example script - not my script but shows what is possible.

@gkhan I haven't played since Sunday but then the servers were fine. Sometimes commands took up to 10 seconds to resolve but that didn't happen all the time and didn't really bother me when it did.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@bollard If I get the time I would love to write up something more detailed when it comes to the programming in the game to both help any new people interested and showcase the depth of it. From what I read and seen Quadrilateral Cowboy has you write pseudocode more akin to Hack 'n' Slash where hackmud the scripts you write are in JavaScript and can even store stuff in a DB. https://github.com/ethankaminski/hackmud_sample_scripts/blob/master/scripts/db_demo.js - not my script but shows what is possible.

Nice! JS is not exactly my favourite language but good to know this game has a little more depth into real programming.

Avatar image for rocketblast0063
    rocketblast0063

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested and will perhaps get it later when the time is right.
    I have some concerns though, about the motivation in the game and the freedom you have.

For example,

• you can trick other players to run a script that transfer money to you. What do I need money for?
    • Other than stealing money from others, what to do in the game? Just chatting?
    • What's money used for (other than getting rich)? Like buying and configuring proxies? Setting up network services that can run 24/7 (or penetrating/taking down) others? Bribing people to delete logs?

From the official site, with my comments to the right:

• Nuanced and engaging storyline - It's just in the tutorial right? I'm not that interested in a good story in a game like this.
    • Retro-futuristic text-based computing visuals - Cool, even though I wouldn't mind a simple secure shell.
    • 90s film style ‘hacking mode’ - ok, why not.
    • Immersive soundtrack - sweet.
    • Persistent and constantly-evolving game world with user created content - Like what? Money stealing scripts?
    • Global game economy - Nice, but what to do with it?

I think you get what I'm asking here. Even though, I'm very clueless even after watching the UPF segment, reading some Steam reviews and the official site.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ford_Dent

I just got out of the tutorial and into the wider game, and was immediately overwhelmed by choice (also having to give up all my cool shit was a bummer but it makes sense). I wound up leaving the initial chat channel because it's a hive of scum and villainy (and spam) in the hopes that I could just quietly hack some computers and build up enough scratch to initialize again.

The combination of the soundtrack and basic visuals were enough to lull me into spending several hours just poking around without really realizing it. I need to spend some time poking around a javascript tutorial or something - I took a Java course back in high school but that was literally over a decade ago so I can't say I really remember anything beyond the basics of how programming logic works.

EDIT: Someone with a better grip on the game who has made more progress should start a Giant Bomb corp.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Man I wish... seems like it would be way too complex for someone with no programming knowledge.

santiagocr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I´ve been playing for about 2 hours and I'm hooked!

On a side note, I love how the game extends it´s nature beyond the game itself, like the font on Steam and Google search results, and how the desktop icon has no text.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Oh wow this sounds cooler than I thought it is. This is the first time I've seen possible server issues being described as a game balance issue lol

There WERE many server load issues at launch that have now been solved. That being said; this game is INCREDIBLY complex to maintain, and there will be many game-wide issues in the future. These issues will most likely be in-game player discovered exploits. THIS IS PART OF THE GAME!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Game is goddamn terrifying. I'll stick to a mix of Battlerite/SFV instead. Good luck to all you brave warriors though! That game looks awesome. I'd love to see a blog or some stories out of that thing on the forums.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing as I find time, currently I've upgraded my system to Tier 3 and need to automate the process of cracking higher level locks. I'm a programmer by day (but not Javascript....eww!) so that part of the game sort of appeals. Although the possible locks are fixed by the game so there isn't much of a variety there (it wouldn't be feasible to let people write their own locks since it would be easy to make a nigh-uncrackable one...unless alternative mechanisms like revealing script source get added).

Overall this game is a cool idea but right now it is very limited. And the basic system actually makes no sense from the perspective of the real world (why does "executing" an npc loc give you money? what does "hardline" even mean? why would "scripts" be a limited & discrete resource that you have to find / buy? is there not a way to breach & impersonate another user --- which is basically the go-to strategy of hackers?). Or even at a basic level, the CLI of passing parameters via JSON is really quite bonkers.

The tutorial was pretty cool and dramatic (even there it seemed like there was some inconsistency, like at least once I saw access log without having the required script...why did that work?). Though once you finish that there is a bit of a vacuum; you can figure out how to get some money from the lowest level npcs and upgrade your system, but it's not clear what there is to do other than that. Of course you can write scripts and charge people for using them (or try to trick them into running malicious scripts). Maybe something more opens up as you get further in the game.

@rocketblast0063:

• you can trick other players to run a script that transfer money to you. What do I need money for?

Money (GC) is basically the "score". You use it to level-up your system (enables access to more functions & upgrade slots), buy upgrades (e.g. more scripts, more characters for scripts, more locks protecting your account), and even use scripts published by others (unless they were nice and made them free). Right now the only overall goal I know of in the game is "become able to hack the highest level npc", but I'm nowhere near even wanting to try that (from my perspective, it seems like there's a huge gap of knowledge between me and that, so hopefully I just haven't looked in the right place yet).

• Other than stealing money from others, what to do in the game? Just chatting?

Most people are getting money from npcs, which are basically small puzzles (unfortunately, there is not a huge variety). Then there is a mini-industry around writing scripts to help others do that, as well as just to do cool things in the game (e.g. "dtr" created a whole manpage system, you could write your own text adventure, stuff like that). It is largely a scripting sandbox.

• What's money used for (other than getting rich)? Like buying and configuring proxies? Setting up network services that can run 24/7 (or penetrating/taking down) others? Bribing people to delete logs?

Unfortunately none of those things are possible right now. The closest is posting bounties for other people to do tasks, though deleting logs is not a thing in this game (which gets to my earlier point of unrealism...deleting the logs is hacking 101!). I'd hope that in future it would be possible to spend GC to create fake accounts or something like that.

• Nuanced and engaging storyline - It's just in the tutorial right? I'm not that interested in a good story in a game like this.

AFAICT yes. There is flavor text in the NPCs but that's about it (and it's very repetitive). Though there might be some deeper story that I just haven't found yet.

• Retro-futuristic text-based computing visuals - Cool, even though I wouldn't mind a simple secure shell.

This game would be amazing if I could just use PuTTY to talk to it.

• 90s film style ‘hacking mode’ - ok, why not.

Gets old :( this mode doesn't make much sense to me. Activating "hardline" doesn't seem to actually do anything...if it was a 90s film, this is what would trigger the FBI getting on to you.

• Immersive soundtrack - sweet.

I like it generally. Though you'll eventually end up playing your own songs instead.

• Persistent and constantly-evolving game world with user created content - Like what? Money stealing scripts?

Pretty much anything you can do in Javascript emitting to a terminal, with the limitation that your script has to be reinitialized for each user interaction (i.e. you can't prompt for input within a script). There's local db access to save state.

However this aspect of the game is very undirected. One significant segment is scripts to help get money from NPCs, another is scripts trying to trick other players into exposing themselves to attack. But there seem to be a ton of scripts that aren't really related to any particular game goal.

• Global game economy - Nice, but what to do with it?

A big question mark for me too. So far there is a leaderboard.

Avatar image for rocketblast0063
    rocketblast0063

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantris: Thanks for the detailed answer, very helpful!

The game is still interesting for sure, no question about it. But I think I want something else, something like a network where every player start with their own virtual machine (which they can upgrade, like hdd space, ram and cpu). Money can also be spent on additional machines, programs and scripts. This network should also have admin/dev infrastructure nodes and services, like in real world. Ofc everything should be simplified to make it more accessible. Bash is fine, with some basic packages like wget/curl, ssh, irc and so on. Completely sand boxed though, no gateways to the real internet. The dev-ran services (like banks) can have (or will have) security flaws in them and the power to actually catch "abusive" players.

Maybe something for Hackmud II!?

When I think about it, what I want can be set up in a VLAN with Virtualbox or similar software with any minimal Linux dist. Like live competitions held at certain security/hacking conventions.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rocketblast0063: Yeah, it would definitely be cool to have a game like that with a persistent world & gamified mechanics (basically, if hackmud was more like a MUD...). Like you mentioned, that kind of fun can already be had in "wargames" but current examples of it are for training/education purposes and thus a bit too realistic for a gaming audience. Been a long while since I dipped a toe in that world but I'm sure those are still a blast to try out.

bluemorning104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hackmud is a really cool game but there is definitely a barrier between those that know javascript and those that don't. That being said, players have written:

-A newspaper
    -An email client
    -Multiple chat clients
    -A Facebook clone
    -An ingame manual
    -An alternate currency that is just starting up, get in on presale while you can
    -A place to put people's IP equivalents if they hack you

Again, the game is amazing, but there's no way you can have a lot of fun with it without knowing javascript.

hedinnweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm playing it. I have the firewall sequence of the tutorial left. I'd be playing it more but my coursework is getting in the way. Soon though.

Ditto on the idea of there needing to be a GBCorp.

seanmakesgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi y'all :)

Just a reminder that this game will continue to be in development for as long as it can support itself. If you have feedback that would make the game better, make sure you post it on the votable forums:

https://hackmud.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/topics/201120367-Bugs-Features-Ideas?sort_by=votes

Thank you for sharing your experiences! Many of the things mentioned above are not 'by design' but instead, 'not implemented yet' ;) I can use all the help I can get with this one. :P

Happy Hacking!

Sean

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.