Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hades

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 17, 2020

Hades is a rogue-like dungeon crawler in which you defy the god of death as you hack and slash your way out of the Underworld of Greek myth.

This game went into full release today and it's incredible

• 181 results
    bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

We all know that SuperGiant games is among the best indie developers out there, and is closely tied to Giant Bomb, so I went in this expecting to like it a lot, and it absolutely blew me away. I've been playing on Switch for a few hours and it's absolutely my favorite start to a roguelite ever. The combination of really solid writing, tight gameplay that's very reminiscent of Bastion, a great visual style, and well thought through roguelite mechanics is just...outstanding. I'm sure it will slow down as I progress and the runs will start to feel more grindy, but for now I'm absolutely blown away. I love everything about it.

For those who haven't seen anything about the game, it's a roguelite action RPG where you play the son of Hades trying to break out of hell. You can select from several unlockable weapons and during runs you get favors from the gods that grant new abilities or various boosts. There are also currencies that you can use with a variety of vendors to unlock additional stuff such as rest rooms in the roguelite dungeon (it's a "clear everything to advance" type game and these rooms might include health restoration or money instead of enemies) or various permanent upgrades to your character like an extra dash or cast, or the ability to revive once after death with half health.

In between runs you return back to Hades' palace where you can talk to characters, give them gifts of ambrosia to curry favor and get special items from them, and pet the three-headed dog.

It looks great, plays great, is great. Highly recommended even a few hours in. It's rare for a roguelite to have a story this good that makes sense in this format, and the gameplay mechanics just feel incredibly well tuned coming out of its early access period.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I don't like Roguelikes but Hades certainly has a look that makes me want to check it out. I might not get it here and now but I do want to check it out down the road - who knows maybe it will even come to PC Game Pass. As for them being the best indie developers around? When I think back on all the games they made post Bastion.. can't say I cared all that much for Transistor and didn't even bother with Pyre strictly because of the weird gameplay element, so it's nice to see them get back to their more manic, action roots. They're not exactly batting a thousand in my book but as friends of the gang and Gamespot alumni I do have a soft spot in my heart for anything they make. Heck I replied to Greg on Twitter that I'll be checking his game out after he tweeted the official 1.0 announcement and he personally replied thanking me - thats a real class act.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: how's the Switch performance been? I've been playing on PC and love it and am super intrigued by the cross save functionality that's coming down the line. But I also don't know of I'll be able to adjust if the game only runs at 30fps (like Children of Morta)

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4 chaser324  Moderator

Even if you're not typically into roguelites, this is still one to consider checking out.

This is the best combat that Supergiant has done. That alone would be enough to sustain most roguelites, but on top of that you also have amazing art and world-building/writing along with an absolutely ludicrous amount of top-notch voice acting.

It's an absolute GotY contender. I put 30 hours into the game during early access, and I'm looking forward to playing even more and getting some closure on the story.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I too would like to know how the Switch version is. I have it on Steam, but I don't have regular access to a PC that will run it, so I have been planning to pick it up on Switch if it runs well.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say Switch performance is pretty good but not perfect. With the proviso that I have only played through a few hours of the game and gotten to the second area I only noticed slowdown once and it was when the room was absolutely filled with enemies and projectiles. Even then it was still perfectly playable, but I could tell the Switch was struggling to keep up with all the action on screen.

That being said it's obviously possible that there are later areas that bring Nintendo's tablet console to a crawl so if that's the most important thing then you may want to wait for impressions from someone who's gotten further than I have.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I wanna get this for the Switch but I played through Transistor this year for the 1st time on the system and was surprised by how badly it performed in the back half.

plan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By plan6

The final release is so good. I will never get tired of sending Hades down to the underworld, but now there is ever more purpose than kicking my bad dad’s ass. Haven’t unlocked the true final boss yet, but I’m pumped.

Darkaileron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SuperGiant puts so much of themselves in their games that they transcend whatever genre they are in. I rarely look back at Pyre and think of it as a sport game, for example. And I feel Hades does the same for roguelites, the game is much more than "the next roguelikelite". The art, voicework, mood and depth of character the game exudes is very much worth experiencing. Of course, you have to just accept you're going to go on dozens of runs to experience it all, but the combat is precise and varies widely from run to run. You also have options to control the rng if you'd prefer to focus on a more narrow set of abilities. I think it's versatility really shines for a genre known for repetition.

This'll be my first time playing in months, I made it to the last boss once and figured I'd wait for the full release before I cleared the game -- I burnt myself out on Dead Cells in early access and didnt want to do the same with this game.

Can't recommend Hades enough!

norm9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just downloaded this right now and about to dig in after this playoff game. While I was on the eshop, noticed Empire of Sin is available for preorder, so I went ahead and preordered that too. Going to have plenty to play in the next few months.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

What I have seen of the Switch port is very impressive, it runs/looks really good except for some slowdown I saw twice when there was a ton of enemies. But even with the slowdown, it didn't feel laggy, if that makes sense, I felt like I still had decent control over the character.

I played for a couple hours today and got to the second boss, really loving it so far. I had been wanting to play this for quite a while, but was holding out until 1.0 dropped.

This is the best combat that Supergiant has done. That alone would be enough to sustain most roguelites, but on top of that you also have amazing art and world-building/writing along with an absolutely ludicrous amount of top-notch voice acting.

Definitely agree with this, even having only played for a couple hours so far. It makes a great impression from the get-go.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Hayt

I've deliberately not looked too much into this game since I wanted to 'discover' it more or less naturally but I do have a question. Apologies if this is widely known but I don't want to go looking and accidentally bust the game open. Is this game a roguelike with an ending in the same way most Supergiant games do or is it more that each run could potentially have a final boss say like Spelunky?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Efesell

It has at the very least what they refer to as a True Ending because its one of the things they mention added in the release patch.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Picked it up, but it's competing with Spelunky 2 this week. Been waiting for this one since I avoid early access and I'm glad it seemingly came together really well.

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hades was my GOTY last year even in early access and there is every chance it will be right up there again. I worry that the term 'rougelite' will turn off a lot of people too quickly. It's truly brilliant and the constantly moving forward unlocks and story really means it feels more curated than most run based stuff.

Ulfhedinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has been in Early Access for quite some time and it's great.
    I haven't played a single Supergiant game that wasn't a labor of love and beautiful.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been a long time since I played a roguelike and really fell into that 'Just one more run.." state but this game bit hard yesterday. It's real smooth.

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

Picked this up on the Switch last night as well. I was holding off until the full release and it seems like the time spent in early access served them well. Everything is so polished, and any worries I had about the Switch controls evaporated immediately. Already knees-deep in Spelunky 2, but I think Hades will comfortably be my evening wind-down game for quite a while.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I commented about it elsewhere but as of now this is my game of the year in a walk. It's been a roller coaster to have gotten very into the game mere weeks before 1.0. Two months ago I downloaded it, played just a tiny bit and thought I could commit to waiting until launch. Three weeks ago I couldn't resist and started diving deep into it. Then two weeks ago I got to the "end" of the early access build and I've been playing it off and on ever since. Now to see just where they were going with the story has been spectacular. They took my new found enjoyment of Rogue-esque-ish-lite-likes plus my long time love of Greek myth and created a gorgeous piece of fiction and game play.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

honest question- aside from the art (which looks incredible) and the tight mechanics/gameplay- does the game have any novel stuff going on?

that's not me throwing shade- i'm just trying to decide if i should pick this up now or wait for a lull. personally i only have appetite for 1 run-based game at a time, and i think spelunky has my attention (for the moment) but could be convinced otherwise.

plan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are so many good lines of dialogue in the game. Somehow they make the line "By my fathers name" sound bad ass. And I will never get tired of Zag telling Hades to "Get up, we're not finished."

My main tip for seeing all the story. Never stop giving people Booze.

Avatar image for deactivated-63c06c6e81315
    deactivated-63c06c6e81315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

To date I've put ~400 hours of playtime into the early access version, Hades is by far the best game Supergiant has made and one of the best roguelik(t)es of all time.

*Ahem* And it got completely shafted in GB GotY last year.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

honest question- aside from the art (which looks incredible) and the tight mechanics/gameplay- does the game have any novel stuff going on?

that's not me throwing shade- i'm just trying to decide if i should pick this up now or wait for a lull. personally i only have appetite for 1 run-based game at a time, and i think spelunky has my attention (for the moment) but could be convinced otherwise.

I mean I would say that the Supergiant factor is really adding a lot for me. The arts part of that but also their usual characters and storytelling and music and what have you. It does a lot to provide a reason for me to go on run after run of this game when there's more to progress than than just the gameplay loop.

But like.. does it do anything truly innovative for its genre then probably not?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got my first clear of the game. It probably took 15 hours or so overall (which shows how much I've been enjoying it, though I've been sick with nothing else to do too.)

I got lucky with a bunch of boosts that increased the power of my special attack to the point where I was doing like 800-1000 damage per hit, and I just surged through the last area (which I hadn't even seen) and got past the normal last boss.

It's clearly a game that's meant to be cleared a bunch of times, so I'll probably keep going, but it also doesn't seem like you get a bunch more items as you get deeper which is a bit of a bummer because a lot of the roguelite elements seem really expensive. On the other hand as you accrue stuff and keep boosting your power I imagine it gets easier to clear quickly.

I'm not done with the game (I don't think) but I doubt I'll be playing it as intensely from now on since I tend to fall of games after I beat them even if it's not the true ending. Still I can see this being an evergreen for me.

I will say that now that I've gotten through to the end...performance is okay on Switch. It definitely dips at times but I have never found it unplayable. I'd say that unless frame dips or slowdown really bother you it's fine to buy it on that platform, since dips are relatively rare.

I am definitely glad I got it. I really needed this game at this particular time. Right now it's probably in my top 3 of the year, and my top 5 all time Switch games. I would say I liked Transistor better, but I loved Transistor so that's like A+ vs A for me.

Stacking special damage boosts on the Adamant Rail means you can just focus on dodging while you drop da big old bombs on the bad guys' faces.  Is it an easy and cheap way to get my first clear?  Yes.  But I just picked the weapon with the darkness boost and the best boons available.  I regret nothing!
    Stacking special damage boosts on the Adamant Rail means you can just focus on dodging while you drop da big old bombs on the bad guys' faces. Is it an easy and cheap way to get my first clear? Yes. But I just picked the weapon with the darkness boost and the best boons available. I regret nothing!

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: appreciate that. it's good to know that watching a few gameplay videos, what you see is what you get.

i'm thinking this will be my 'home for the holidays' game when i go to visit my folks.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SethMode

Well I played this for like 5 hours straight last night and it completely burned Spelunky 2 from my mind. It is so polished and well done and as lame and lazy as it sounds feels very much like a Supergiant game. I haven't had any issues so far with how it runs on the Switch either, although I am playing docked so I don't know if that impacts it. I absolutely love it.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got my first clear with the second version of the Bow and in proper roguelike fashion I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to manage it with any other weapon or build.

plan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: I currently have 17 clears. You will be SHOCKED at the very dumb combos can you can up with that just feel broken. My recommendation is focus on a couple gods powers per run, rather than getting spread thin.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@plan6: Oh no doubt, I just meant that it's a very common situation I find in games like these when you finally do get a clear.

I thought the bow was kinda trash right up until the run I turned it in an auto turret that melted everything in the room.

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

I've played dozens of hours of Hades in early access, and a couple runs now in 1.0. It's a great game, I want to play a lot more. And I have never been a fan of roguelikes either.

@efesell said:
    @mellotronrules said:

I mean I would say that the Supergiant factor is really adding a lot for me. The arts part of that but also their usual characters and storytelling and music and what have you. It does a lot to provide a reason for me to go on run after run of this game when there's more to progress than than just the gameplay loop.

But like.. does it do anything truly innovative for its genre then probably not?

I think the way they have weaved the story and characters into a run based game is very novel- I for one don't know anything else like it. There is a persistent throughline narrative that moves forward and expands run after run- it's constantly evolving, new characters show up, old characters grow as you interact with them and learn more about them, and its full of endearing moments and impactful surprises. I've always felt narrative is typically a weakness for this genre, but Supergiant found a way to craft a narrative that not only works in a run based structure, but thrives in it. It's a big strength for Hades. I love these characters and the writing is wonderful.

And yeah, as others have said the moment to moment feel of the game, upgrades and build combinations, and Supergiant art and music and voice acting are all great too, which should not be minimized. Hades kind of does everything well.

Anyway, if you're already playing something like Spelunky I don't know that you need to rush try and juggle both games at once. But I would recommend giving Hades a shot at some point, whether it's now or later.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man they really nailed the "just one more run" aspect of this.

I recently got far enough to start clearing (3 so far), and feel like they did a pretty nice job keeping the story and world evolving in interesting ways as you progress. And of course the gameplay keeps up with your power creep via the "pact" system...I've only dipped a toe into that so far but there's a ton of variety there.

Soo many things to unlock. I'm sure that could turn some people off but it's perfect for me.

I was surprised that I ended up liking some aspect of all the weapons. I was expecting there'd be one or two that I didn't enjoy but I feel pretty good about all of them.

I really love the variety of powers / weapon upgrades as well.

Protip: buy a fishing rod

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By fram

Played for the first time on Switch tonight. Even after a couple of hours I can tell that Hades will be in my top 10 of the year. The presentation is flawless, combat is tight and rewarding; the random nature of the per-run boons mixed with the persistent character upgrades is a great incentive. The story and characters progress with each run so there's always something new to do or see. Incredible game.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is easily my favorite game from SuperGiant. I fell off Bastion over time because the combat was almost to where I would like it a lot but not quite. Transistor has a great vibe and interesting combat but it didn't hold my attention long enough (honestly should give it another chance), and Pyre's gameplay was absolutely not my jam which I immediately bounced off of. Hades is just clicking for me so well on so many levels.

I think this very well may be my GoTY. I got this back in 2018 but didn't commit to it because I wanted to wait for the final product. I went a little crazy though and ended up rebuying on PC for Steam and got two Switch copies, one for my fiancé and one for myself. No regrets! I'm looking forward to cross save support

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Games great, havin' a great time still.

That said every single thing you fight in Elysium is miserable.

GregK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, thank you very much for the kind words here!! Great to hear you've been enjoying the game.

This game development thing has been a real roller-coaster since I left GameSpot at the start of 2007. But this is really shaping up to be a high point from the looks of things. The concept of Hades is really near and dear to my heart, and I'm glad to see it making people happy out there. Hope you're all doing well and thank you for playing.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mezmero

I've seen credits for the first time. Currently at 20 clears according to my stats (that's before and after 1.0 launch combined). I'm at the point where I have enough upgrades and renovations that I've become confident in consistently finishing runs with a variety of weapons and builds. My focus for a while has mainly been completing prophecies as I continue to make progress with pact bounties and those really do keep the encounters interesting in unexpected ways. I can't say enough good things about this game, never mind just this year it's quickly become an all-time favorite for me personally.

Top8Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Top8Gamer

@mellotronrules This game is far more then it seems. It isn't just about the things you mentioned. The game will over and over surprise you out of nowhere with completely new mechanics and things that you didn't even think the game had. Even 50+ hours in you will have those wtf moments where the game surprises you and whole new possibilities open up. I don't want to spoil what these are but the game just keeps on giving and never stops.

@gregk Thank you for being a part of making one of the most amazing game experiences I've ever played.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#40  Edited By ArbitraryWater

As someone who is kinda tired of run-based roguelike stuff, I think it's exactly my shit right now. A combination of responsive action (you can see Greg's love of stuff like DMC and Ninja Gaiden in here) , a quick loop that doesn't feel bad to repeat, and a sheer tidal wave of writing. Feels a lot like the culmination of the ideas floating around in Bastion and Transistor, but at a way grander scale.

I'm not entirely sure how hard any sort of high-high-high level play skill synergy lunacy it has (perhaps unsurprisingly some god boons are better than others,) but I appreciate what it's trying to do a lot. I'm not sure it *needs* to have the kind of ridiculous long tail that something like Binding of Isaac has anyway.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

This game is flippin' awesome. I was one of those people who bought the game while still in Early Access and loved what I saw, but stopped playing to not spoil myself before it was done. I put in about 8 hours since it came out and think just about everything is great. The art is gorgeous, the music is really good, the combat is tight, the loop is engaging, etc. etc. etc.

Some of the story is starting to unfold more and more for me as well. The way some of these elements are shown over time is really well done. I got I guess what you would could the first major story beat not that long ago and was surprised by those details. It makes me curious how much more to the story there is to see.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gregk: Thank you, Greg and the rest of the crew at Supergiant for delivering such a gem! I would have never thought to give a roguelike game an honest attempt before this. The amount of polish and unbelievable quantity of content in here is stunning. You guys are wizards!

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah this game has hit me in a way a game hasn’t in a long time.

The combat and upgrade systems are all fantastic, but the narrative and character bits sprinkled throughout really tie it all together for me. Rougelites typically have little story, and it’s dolled out in small increments or after bosses. The way they build the story and characters over every run is incredibly impressive, and honestly drive me to want to keep playing.

GregK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: Thank you!! It was fun to work on, and we gave it everything we've got. We're over the moon at the response it's getting. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@gregk: Put some serious time in this weekend, and it feels like every aspect of it is as good as it can possibly be. The fact that each run ends with story progress is a masterstroke. I've recommend it to people that don't even like run-based games based on that alone.

The gameplay's pitch perfect, the art's brilliant, the music is superb, each weapon's fun to use... I can really go on and on. I waited til the 1.0 release and I'm glad I came into such a fully realized game.

Great work, amazing team, now take a rest!

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the most fucked up build I've had yet. Bull Rush with power charge (and faster charge speed) led me to just pinball around the map barely taking a point of damage.

halfdane1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Is giant bomb covering the 1.0 release though ? @staff

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BisonHero

Really enjoying the game. Played like 25 hours of it super early on in early access, decided to uninstall and only play it again once it hit 1.0 so I didn’t burn out on it too much.

Can someone sell me on the short sword and/or the fists weapon, in general? I don’t hate melee, but I like that the specials on the spear and shield have a ranged element when needed. Sometimes you get a room that is either all range spam (floaty wizards or crystal beam guys) and it’s just super dangerous to be anywhere near them but you have to close the distance eventually when using sword/fists. Or you get a room with the chariots or the pink butterfly orb, which are also a total nightmare to fight with melee. I know the Cast compensates a bit, but I just feel like I take so much damage with sword/fists. I’ve had very infrequent good runs where I almost beat the game with sword/fists, but usually because I got insane epic-quality boons and the whole run was an embarrassment of riches.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Efesell

@bisonhero: Fists with Aphrodite/Artemis. Weak on the main attack will ensure constant debuffs on everything, Artemis can make sure those countless attacks churn out tons of crits. If you can get their Duo then the crits are even better against things afflicted by Weak.

If you get lucky and find Aphrodites legendary then each hit of the fists can have a chance to charm an enemy..works on bosses as well.

I don't like the sword very much but just a raw mindless crit build can be extremely powerful. It was like my second ever clear and it tore Hades apart.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.