Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life 2: Episode Three

Game » consists of 2 releases.

The cancelled, infamously long-delayed final chapter of the episodic Half-Life 2 saga.

Ep. 3 = Duke Nukem Forever? Not really.

usedtype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By usedtype

I get that the whole "HL2:E3 is like Duke Forever" thing is said as a joke, but it's not that funny.  The connections are just too small.  Yeah, episode 3 is taking a long time.  Still, 3D Realms took TWELVE YEARS to not release DNF.  TWELVE YEARS!  The first Half-Life isn't even 12 years old yet.  Unless you're suggesting that work began on episode 3 before the first Half-Life even came out, there is just no comparison. 

Also, what did 3D Realms release between Duke 3D and DNF's cancellation?  A Duke 3D expansion and Shadow Warrior.  Valve has released HL2, Counterstrike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, Ep. 1, Ep. 2, Portal, TF2, L4D, and L4D2 since 2004 and are releasing Portal 2 this year.  That's a lot more productive than 3DR.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By raiz265

...when it's done.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Deusoma

I am in no way defending the idea of dicking around for a decade on a game's development cycle, but I thought I would add that 3D Realms also put out Prey in 2005, which was a decent shooter that actually beat Portal to the whole tele-portal thing by a few years, even if you didn't have direct control over them.

usedtype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By usedtype
    @Deusoma said:
    "I am in no way defending the idea of dicking around for a decade on a game's development cycle, but I thought I would add that 3D Realms also put out Prey in 2005, which was a decent shooter that actually beat Portal to the whole tele-portal thing by a few years, even if you didn't have direct control over them. "

And you would be correct if it wasn't for the fact that the Prey that did end up being released was developed by Human Head Studios.  3D Realms connection to the final product ended up being pretty small.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By EvilTwin

Who said Episode 3 was becoming Duke Nukem Forever?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.