Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life 2: Episode Three

Game » consists of 2 releases.

The cancelled, infamously long-delayed final chapter of the episodic Half-Life 2 saga.

I guess nothing's been officially announced but...

conantheking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By conantheking

...will this game become more notorious than Duke Nukem Forever, albeit with a happier ending?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

@conantheking said:

albeit with a happier ending?

Was Duke Nukem Forever famous for its downer ending? It's been a while since I played it, but I don't remember the Duke killing himself because he though the twins were dead.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ShadowConqueror

@Video_Game_King: I think he means happier as in it won't turn out to be complete shit like DNF. But who was actually thinking DNF would be good by the time it came out?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

@ShadowConqueror:

I'm not sure you understood that that was meant to be a joke.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Video_Game_King said:

@conantheking said:

Was Duke Nukem Forever famous for its downer ending? It's been a while since I played it, but I don't remember the Duke killing himself because he though the twins were dead.

He kills himself because he disappointed many fans, not because he thought the twins were dead.
    UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By UnrealDP

They said they're announcing something with a three in it and they put up those black aperture sites... Man, I really want it to be HL3 and I'm starting to trick myself into believing that's what it is.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By _Zombie_

@UnrealDP said:

They said they're announcing something with a three in it and they put up those black aperture sites... Man, I really want it to be HL3 and I'm starting to trick myself into believing that's what it is.

Not gonna hold my breath at this point. If anything good comes of it, then sure, I'll be interested.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By HadesTimes

No, they were ACTUALLY making Duke Nukem Forever, well sort of... I don't think they are making episode 3. I think they are just going to jump straight to Half-Life 3 and have episode three be a prologue movie or motion comic or something.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By UnrealDP

@zombiebigfoot said:

@UnrealDP said:

Not gonna hold my breath at this point. If anything good comes of it, then sure, I'll be interested.

But duuuuuuuude, it's got a three in it and all of those sites are Half Life related and they're not gonna make another Portal game this soon and Left 4 Dead.... I want to believe god damnit! I totally wish my brain would let me hold your stance on this. It's probably impossible for it to meet expectations at this point too, eh?

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NathanStack

That fact that Duke Nukem Forever actually came out before Episode 3/Half-Life 3 is something my brain struggles to process.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@Video_Game_King said:

@conantheking said:

"IM GONNA RUN FOR PRESIDENT LOL"

Pretty sad ending

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cloudenvy

@UnrealDP: Your life will be better if you just convince yourself that Half Life 3 will never exist.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Video_Game_King said:

@ShadowConqueror:

No Caption Provided
    UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By UnrealDP

@Cloudenvy said:

@UnrealDP: Your life will be better if you just convince yourself that Half Life 3 will never exist.

I realize this but.... GAH, I don't know! If it does come out then it'd be best if I was surprised by it and if it doesn't then it'd be best if I wasn't expecting it too. It's a win-win for not expecting much, but... my brain... it's... not letting me.

On a related note, do you know any good Half Life 3 support groups? I think I'm beginning to see the problem...

MC_Hify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MC_Hify

Well this is the conclusion I've come to about where the hell Half Life 3 is. DNF was in development for 15 years before it was released. Half Life 2 took 5 years, It's been 5 years since Episode 2. Valve also has two games in beta right now and I doubt they'd announce something to take people's attention off of those until they are released, after all they still need to spend millions marketing CS:GO and DOTA2 and if they annouce HL3 a lot of people are going to stop paying attention to those games.

The problem DNF has was that they had unlimited money and no one to answer to, so they scrapped the game again and again starting over. Valve has unlimited money and no one to answer to but they still manage to put out games. I guess it's just different definitions of "when it's done." Nothing will ever be perfect but if you spend more time on something rather than some 18 month schedule dictated by a publisher you are going to wind up with better quality games. Valve has the luxury of long development times but they don't abuse that apparently. At least not so far.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King

@CrazyBagMan said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@ShadowConqueror:

No Caption Provided

As long as we're going that route:

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cloudenvy

@UnrealDP: Considering how much I hate Half-Life 2, talking to me a couple of times a week about it would probably do the trick, hahaha.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By UnrealDP

@Cloudenvy: That sounds really tempting, but I oddly don't feel like taking you up on it for some reason...

No master, I still believe in Half Life 3.
    No master, I still believe in Half Life 3.
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cloudenvy

@UnrealDP: Pfft, suit yourself!

Live in complete agony until 2034 when Half-Life 3 comes out! I'll be over here enjoying life!

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By _Zombie_

@UnrealDP said:

@zombiebigfoot said:

@UnrealDP said:

But duuuuuuuude, it's got a three in it and all of those sites are Half Life related and they're not gonna make another Portal game this soon and Left 4 Dead.... I want to believe god damnit! I totally wish my brain would let me hold your stance on this. It's probably impossible for it to meet expectations at this point too, eh?

I've kind of numbed myself to it by now. I used to be all 'giusdapdiaspodias MAKEITALREADYGODDAMNITVALVE'. Eventually just gave up and focused on other stuff.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mandude

The announcement will be that iOS is the future of gaming, and Half Life 3 will feature a colourful cast of characters and be the biggest thing since Angry Birds.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By AndrewB

This one will end with Gordon Freeman crying. Mark my words.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By dichemstys

I've never been into the Half-Life story or anything, I just enjoyed the gameplay. Honestly I'd like to play Episode 3 but I just don't care enough to be devastated if it doesn't come out. Just make Half-Life 3 already!

Brother_PipPop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Brother_PipPop

Hell I just wish Black Mesa Source came out, but nothing ever happened with that either. Half-Life 1 was what made me stop playing consol games exclusively back in 2004 or something like that.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Ravenlight

Y'know that scene in Lord of the Rings where the fellowship is formed and everyone's like, "You have my sword." "And my bow!" etc?

Yeah, it's like that except Valve is Frodo and I'm like "And my money!"

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JazGalaxy

I really enjoyed HL2. I put in HL Episode 1 and was just "yes! I'm ready to play more ughhhhhh...." Half LIfe has just become nothing like a First Person Shooting game, what with the gravity gun and assisting Alex. It's a first person movie that, in Episode 1, starts out in a tremendously uninteresting and painfully annoying sequence to play. I never got more than 20 minutes into it.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@conantheking said:

...will this game become more notorious than Duke Nukem Forever, albeit with a happier ending?

DNF was infamous for its long development time. How do you know how long HL3 is in development (is it even in the making process)? I already lost hope in HL3. It's never gonna happen, no matter how much I want it to. Never.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.