Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life 2: Episode Two

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The second episodic sequel to Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode Two follows usual protagonists Gordon Freeman and Alyx Vance on their oft-interrupted journey to White Forest, a resistance base. Rockets and gnomes abound in Valve's latest addition to the series.

365 Games To Play Before You Die - #86: Half-Life 2: Episode Two

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Edited By mracoon

365 Games To Play Before You Die

Previous 5 Games

Full List

No Caption Provided

#86: Half-Life 2: Episode Two

Platform(s): PC, Xbox 360 and PS3
    Release: 2007
    Developer(s): Valve
    Best Quote: 'Prepare for unforeseen consequences.'
    GB Wiki Page

If anyone thought that Episode One was lacklustre then Episode Two should really have woken them up. It's got few lull moments in which you can take a break from the action and follow the story but most of the time it's pure Action-FPS. The game is the best paced out of the series and you always feel like your doing something important.

Episode 2 starts immediately after the previous game finishes and the story continues as Alyx and Gordon make their way to White Forest, a base of operations for the resistance. Along the way they'll encounter the terrifying Hunters (who for me are one of the best enemies in a game for a long time) and get to drive a revamped buggy. The story is just as great as ever and we find out even more about the last desperate attempts of the Combine to keep control.

The game ends with a cliffhanger that will shock fans of the series and it sets up Episode Three  perfectly. Speaking of Episode 3, Valve it's been 2 years now so hurry up and give us some more info on the game. I can only assume that with the establishment of a link to the Portal universe (they're both actually in the same universe) we might see some portal gun action in Ep3 and that's giving the designers some headaches.

86 down 279 to go.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mracoon

365 Games To Play Before You Die

Previous 5 Games

Full List

No Caption Provided

#86: Half-Life 2: Episode Two

Platform(s): PC, Xbox 360 and PS3
    Release: 2007
    Developer(s): Valve
    Best Quote: 'Prepare for unforeseen consequences.'
    GB Wiki Page

If anyone thought that Episode One was lacklustre then Episode Two should really have woken them up. It's got few lull moments in which you can take a break from the action and follow the story but most of the time it's pure Action-FPS. The game is the best paced out of the series and you always feel like your doing something important.

Episode 2 starts immediately after the previous game finishes and the story continues as Alyx and Gordon make their way to White Forest, a base of operations for the resistance. Along the way they'll encounter the terrifying Hunters (who for me are one of the best enemies in a game for a long time) and get to drive a revamped buggy. The story is just as great as ever and we find out even more about the last desperate attempts of the Combine to keep control.

The game ends with a cliffhanger that will shock fans of the series and it sets up Episode Three  perfectly. Speaking of Episode 3, Valve it's been 2 years now so hurry up and give us some more info on the game. I can only assume that with the establishment of a link to the Portal universe (they're both actually in the same universe) we might see some portal gun action in Ep3 and that's giving the designers some headaches.

86 down 279 to go.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Pie

Now that I think about it episode two might be one of my favourite games of alltime let alone favourite FPS, I loved the feeling of hunting down the white forest just meeting people and things. Also my favourite moment is just when you pull over to a little hut to get some ammo when all of a sudden a pack of hunters apear and you have to sprint outside get into your car and run them bitches down. Just a great atmosphere and level of immersion in my opinion, the only game where ive actually spoken to myself whilst playing about all the crazy stuff going down and all the little jumps.

And that ambush about 3/4 way through still sticks with me, that would of been so good if theyd stuck in a strider or two.
    Then theres that epic battle at the end.
    Man that games good....

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Pie

That game also had my favourite achivement yet in it, me and that gnome went through a lot together.....

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mracoon
    @Pie said:
    " Now that I think about it episode two might be one of my favourite games of alltime let alone favourite FPS, I loved the feeling of hunting down the white forest just meeting people and things. Also my favourite moment is just when you pull over to a little hut to get some ammo when all of a sudden a pack of hunters apear and you have to sprint outside get into your car and run them bitches down. Just a great atmosphere and level of immersion in my opinion, the only game where ive actually spoken to myself whilst playing about all the crazy stuff going down and all the little jumps.  And that ambush about 3/4 way through still sticks with me, that would of been so good if theyd stuck in a strider or two. Then theres that epic battle at the end. Man that games good.... "
    I know exactly what you mean. It's Half-Life 2 condensed into a more fast paced and all round tighter game. Writing this blog actually got me in the mood to play the game again so I in the middle of completing another play through.
    mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mhkjtha

Psychonauts is in this list, right?

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pie
    @mhkjtha said:
    " Psychonauts is in this list, right? "
    Hes on number 86 out of 365, Psyconauts will be on the list. Now try make a comment about half life 2 episode 2
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By xyzygy

I think Episode 2 is my favorite in all the Half Life installments. I love how we are finding out more about the G-Man. I also love how the Flashlight has it's own energy bar now :P Episode 1 was OK, but nothing compared to 2.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By TomA

agreed, i love the opening act.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.