Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 16, 2004

Several years after the Black Mesa disaster, Gordon Freeman awakens from stasis to aid a resistance movement against the Combine, a collective of trans-dimensional aliens that have conquered Earth.

Half Life 2's first real puzzle (Spoilers)

Heli0s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Heli0s

As I begin my first official trek through this classic series, I stumbled upon what seems like HL2's first real puzzle.

The puzzle occurred during the Route Kanal section and consisted of wandering around two large rooms until you found a semi-hidden valve (get it?).  Once the valve was released and the rooms were flooded you had to figure out how to access the final corridor.  The problem was, the water level wasn't quite high enough to reach the corridor by swimming.  Or was it?  After being stumped for maybe five minutes I swam straight down in that final room and saw this: 

No Caption Provided

Once I destroyed the cross bars with my trusty crowbar a few chunks of round wood (can't think of what they're called) floated to the surface.  I hopped onto the floating wood and jumped onto the ledge leading to the exit.  This was a simple, logical puzzle which showcased the advanced physics engine in Source.  I'm definitely excited by what's to come :) 

This is a short entry in a series of posts covering my experiences while playing through the Half Life series (starting with Half Life 2).
    Heli0s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Heli0s

As I begin my first official trek through this classic series, I stumbled upon what seems like HL2's first real puzzle.

The puzzle occurred during the Route Kanal section and consisted of wandering around two large rooms until you found a semi-hidden valve (get it?).  Once the valve was released and the rooms were flooded you had to figure out how to access the final corridor.  The problem was, the water level wasn't quite high enough to reach the corridor by swimming.  Or was it?  After being stumped for maybe five minutes I swam straight down in that final room and saw this: 

No Caption Provided

Once I destroyed the cross bars with my trusty crowbar a few chunks of round wood (can't think of what they're called) floated to the surface.  I hopped onto the floating wood and jumped onto the ledge leading to the exit.  This was a simple, logical puzzle which showcased the advanced physics engine in Source.  I'm definitely excited by what's to come :) 

This is a short entry in a series of posts covering my experiences while playing through the Half Life series (starting with Half Life 2).
    infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By infininja

Welcome. 

(Giant spools?)

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By emkeighcameron

I think your spoiler is janky, brother.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mikemcn

I got stuck on the same exact part! Half Life 2 is great though, welcome to GB!

Heli0s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Heli0s
    @emkeighcameron said:

" I think your spoiler is janky, brother. "

Ya, I have no idea why the spoiler thing isn't working.  I just highlighted the text and selected the spoiler icon.  Weird.
    eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By eccentrix

I think chunks of round wood are called logs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.