Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 16, 2004

Several years after the Black Mesa disaster, Gordon Freeman awakens from stasis to aid a resistance movement against the Combine, a collective of trans-dimensional aliens that have conquered Earth.

Probably a stupid question...

Pilot13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pilot13

I was wondering if I could play half-life 2 mods with only portal 2 installed. If so how do I do that?

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By ch3burashka

I don't know, but probably not. Mods are modifications of a source game, which means you need the source game to build upon with said mod. There's more mod-savvy people than me out there, but I'm sure you need HL2 to play the mods. In that case, just get it; it's like 10 bucks on Steam. If that's too steep, wait for Xmas.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By zaglis

No.

I think you can play some HL2 MULTIPLAYER mods, since that requires only the Source SDK and every Source game comes with it.

Do you seriously don't own Half-Life 2?

Pilot13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pilot13

Funny enough I do have a boxed copy of HL2 on my shelf, but I attached it to the wrong steam account (as in a steam account I have lost all login details for and last used about 5/6 years ago) and I played eps 1 & 2 via orange box on 360 when I was between computers as it were. But it means, short of digging up my old account from my dead email account, I can't use it. 

I was just hoping that having the source sdk via portal 2 would be enough to play them. I had this in mind specifically. http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-stanley-parable/downloads/the-stanley-parable-v12

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ThunderSlash

Shouldn't TF2 also provide the SDK? Now that it's free everyone should have it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.