Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 16, 2004

Several years after the Black Mesa disaster, Gordon Freeman awakens from stasis to aid a resistance movement against the Combine, a collective of trans-dimensional aliens that have conquered Earth.

Replaying HL2 with much enjoyment

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hoossy

7 years later and look how well Half Life 2 stands up!!! :D

The pacing is superb and despite the age of Source 1.0, the game is still remarkably good looking, (the art design certainly helps).

-----------

No Caption Provided

What is disappointing is how Source's engine at the time still produces better facial animation then many games coming out today (I'm looking at you Dead Island).

Man, City 17 (and surrounding areas) creates such a believable fiction; I'm very exited to see what happens with Dishonored, who's world is designed by Half Life 2's Victor Antonov.

Have any of you played HL2 recently? What did you think?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

I played it for the first time recently- don't like it. Game kinda sucks, man. Tried so hard to like it and just... couldn't. 

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Ravenlight

I bust the HL2 series out every six months or so. It's surprising how well the gameplay and graphics still hold up.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Junkerman

Yeah I recently played through it myself, probably one of my most beloved series of games. The source engine is beautiful, it runs perfectly even on lower-end machines and has excellent graphics that-for the most part- have aged quite well. With games like Portal 2 showing that the source engine can still hold its own in todays market I'd be content with playing well made games on this reliable engine for years to come.

Also, com'on valve, episode 3!!!!

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @TooWalrus said:
    I played it for the first time recently- don't like it. Game kinda sucks, man. Tried so hard to like it and just... couldn't. 
    Huh? Why? Care to elaborate? What about all the cool weapons and stuff?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c072a2b922a9
    deactivated-5c072a2b922a9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

OH GOD NO....NOT RAVENHOLM...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!...oh god, the nightmares have started!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By toowalrus
    @Video_Game_King said:
    @TooWalrus said:
    Yeah... I only played up to the fan boat part, maybe if I finished it it would somehow blow my mind and I'd love the series... I wrote up a little rant about what I didn't like after I finished playing... I probably shouldn't even link to that- it was like 8 months ago, I probably said some shit that'll make me look like an idiot. Meh, whatever, have at it:
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By toowalrus
    @Video_Game_King said:
    @TooWalrus said:
    That said though, I went back and bought HL1 on steam and played through the first half of it and totally dug it. Maybe I will finish it eventually, I got stuck on some rail-road part and haven't bothered to look up a guide.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @TooWalrus

You may wish to finish the game. That's the only way your opinion can be legitimate.

Oddly enough, I'm exactly the opposite: not a fan of the first, but the second is so much better.
    zyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By zyte

@hoossy said:

The pacing is superb and despite the age of Source 1.0, the game is still remarkably good looking, (the art design certainly helps).

I just got to point out that unless you're playing an illegal copy of HL2, the engine it runs on has been updated to the version Episode 2 runs on.

This means:

• HDR support.
    • Soft particles.
    • Full-screen motion blur.
    • (And best of all) Dynamic lightning and shadowing Version 2.

You can figure the first 3 out yourself, and here's the differences between Dynamic L&S v1 and v2:

Original Lightning and Shadowing SystemNew Lightning and Shadowing System
    Realtime shadows in a map always cast in the same predetermined direction.Realtime shadows in a map cast in a predetermined direction unless near a light source specifically enabled to cast realtime dynamic shadows in the level editor.
    Shadows cast by models do not self-shadow or affect other objects.Shadows cast by models can self-shadow and cast shadows across other objects, if near a light source specifically enabled to cast realtime dynamic shadows in the level editor.
    Every object is allowed only one dynamic shadow.Any object can cast multiple dynamic soft shadows, if near a light source specifically enabled to cast realtime dynamic shadows in the level editor.
    The player's flashlight illuminates an area.The player's flashlight casts shadows from models, world geometry, and transparent surfaces onto other models and geometry.

The last feature is awesome.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By dtat

I absolutely love the characters and story. i never felt that the combat was the best part of it, but so much of that game stands up really well. Someone has yet to make a more believable and like-able cast of characters. (Mass Effect is close though).

Mercot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mercot

Love it. Played through the game proper at least three times on Xbox, PC and 360. Been stuck on the HL2: Episode 2 climax for years though. Still've never beaten it.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By coakroach

I never finished Half Life 2.

Not sure if it was the weapons or the enemies or the vehicle sequences, but something about the gameplay never really grabbed me.

I did absolutely love the opening sequence though.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Brians

I tried playing it recently and didn't understand why it was so well liked.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
    deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got halfway through it, got bored and never finished it

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By beeftothetaco

Great game. For me, its art style was what made it so special. There were times when I was in Seattle and I thought "Hey, that train yard looks like one in HL2" ect. (Antonov does some great representations of urban areas.) Despite it's aging visuals, the art style makes City 17 seem very authentic and real.

But that's just me.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By awe_stuck

@Junkerman said:

Yeah I recently played through it myself, probably one of my most beloved series of games. The source engine is beautiful, it runs perfectly even on lower-end machines and has excellent graphics that-for the most part- have aged quite well. With games like Portal 2 showing that the source engine can still hold its own in todays market I'd be content with playing well made games on this reliable engine for years to come.

Also, com'on valve, episode 3!!!!

More like come on Blizzard. Think when they bought Valve they took a lot of the talent cus most of the guys at Blizzard are dinosaurs.

Seriously, though exploding barrels sprinkled everywhere, and the linearity made HL2 a little stale. I miss grabbing civilians and running under suckers soo much. Crowbars... Come on man!!!! The gestapo bit in the beginning was only 5 minutes long :*(

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By beeftothetaco

@awe_stuck: Pretty sure Blizzard doesn't own Valve.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By awe_stuck

@beeftothetaco said:

Activision does..

Tacoboy1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tacoboy1986

I play HL 2 every year, sometime in the fall. Typically near thanksgiving.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@awe_stuck said:

@beeftothetaco said:

Activision does..

I can't tell if you're a troll or if you're really that stupid.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By awe_stuck

@Manhattan_Project said:

@awe_stuck said:

@beeftothetaco said:

Activision does..

Look it up... God.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By awe_stuck

@Tacoboy1986 said:

I play HL 2 every year, sometime in the fall. Typically near thanksgiving.

I still havent finished Episode 2. Its a lil scary. Episodes were more fun then the game in my opinion. Great game though

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hoossy

@awe_stuck:

Valve is their own private company.

@coakroach:

I'm guessing you didn't get to near the very end where you get the uber gravity gun? Because the game is almost worth playing for that reason alone.

@TooWalrus:

I just read through that post of yours.. the fact that you never got to the gravity gun is upsetting... probably the greatest video game weapon of all time (well, the portal gun may top that actually) NEEDS to be experienced. Cutting off people's heads with circular saw blades launched from the gravity gun is incredibly satisfying.

Also, I feel like Half Life 2 in many ways in the the film Children of Men. It doesn't spoon feed a plot. You're left to piece things together and imagine how the world could get the way it is... idk... I like it.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Evilsbane

I long lost count the amount of times I have played HL2 to completion fucking amazing.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Vonocourt

@awe_stuck said:

@Manhattan_Project said:

@awe_stuck said:

@beeftothetaco said:

Activision does..

Look it up... God.

Only thing I can find that could somehow be misconstrued into what you're saying is that Valve had a publishing deal with Sierra Entertainment way back when.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By awe_stuck

@hoossy said:

@awe_stuck:

Valve is their own private company.

@coakroach:

I'm guessing you didn't get to near the very end where you get the uber gravity gun? Because the game is almost worth playing for that reason alone.

@TooWalrus:

I just read through that post of yours.. the fact that you never got to the gravity gun is upsetting... probably the greatest video game weapon of all time (well, the portal gun may top that actually) NEEDS to be experienced. Cutting off people's heads with circular saw blades launched from the gravity gun is incredibly satisfying.

Also, I feel like Half Life 2 in many ways in the the film Children of Men. It doesn't spoon feed a plot. You're left to piece things together and imagine how the world could get the way it is... idk... I like it.

I know I cant find it. Meh.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BisonHero  Online

Yeah, I finally played HL2: Episode 1 and 2 for the first time back in like July, and they're just as solid as any game made this year. HL2 and the episodes are incredibly well made.

But at the same time, I can sort of see why a bunch of people in this thread got bored and stopped at some point. Unlike most modern shooters, it has a slow start, similar to how something like the original Deus Ex has a slow start. Shit doesn't really get totally off the chain until you get the gravity gun and start heading for Nova Prospekt. Speaking of which, I'm sure if Valve were to design that game today, they probably wouldn't wait until like halfway through the damn game to give you the gravity gun (ok, it's a little earlier than that), when it was one of the coolest bullet-point-on-back-of-the-box features. Also, the gravity gun in general probably isn't quite as impressive to people who pick up the game for the first time in 2011, since physics engine as robust as HL2's engine are more commonplace now.

That being said, I think "people getting bored by the gradual pacing" is more a fault with today's players than with the game itself, and "the gravity gun isn't new anymore" is hardly the fault of the game. So in general, I still think people are crazy for not finishing the game.

Also, it's funny that awe_stuck has no idea what he's talking about, because the supposed exodus of talent from Valve over to Blizzard/Activision is something he must've imagined, and forgot that it wasn't a real event.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BisonHero  Online

@awe_stuck said:

Are you perhaps mistaking Valve for Vivendi Games, a company which was, in fact, purchased by Activision?

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By awe_stuck

@BisonHero said:

Yeah, I finally played HL2: Episode 1 and 2 for the first time back in like July, and they're just as solid as any game made this year. HL2 and the episodes are incredibly well made.

But at the same time, I can sort of see why a bunch of people in this thread got bored and stopped at some point. Unlike most modern shooters, it has a slow start, similar to how something like the original Deus Ex has a slow start. Shit doesn't really get totally off the chain until you get the gravity gun and start heading for Nova Prospekt. Speaking of which, I'm sure if Valve were to design that game today, they probably wouldn't wait until like halfway through the damn game to give you the gravity gun (ok, it's a little earlier than that), when it was one of the coolest bullet-point-on-back-of-the-box features. Also, the gravity gun in general probably isn't quite as impressive to people who pick up the game for the first time in 2011, since physics engine as robust as HL2's engine are more commonplace now.

That being said, I think "people getting bored by the gradual pacing" is more a fault with today's players than with the game itself, and "the gravity gun isn't new anymore" is hardly the fault of the game. So in general, I still think people are crazy for not finishing the game.

Also, it's funny that awe_stuck has no idea what he's talking about, because the supposed exodus of talent from Valve over to Blizzard/Activision is something he must've imagined, and forgot that it wasn't a real event.

No, no Blizzard bought Sierra (Vivendi). Didnt realize Valve stayed independent during that. My bad.... My bad. Sorry, guys....

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By awe_stuck

@BisonHero said:

@awe_stuck said:

Are you perhaps mistaking Valve for Vivendi Games, a company which was, in fact, purchased by Activision?

Yep. Lets get back to the gravity gun and using chainsaw blades to cut stuff in half guys :D

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BisonHero  Online

@awe_stuck: It takes a big man to admit he was wrong instead of just disappearing from a thread to never be seen again. Good for you.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By awe_stuck

@BisonHero said:

@awe_stuck: It takes a big man to admit he was wrong instead of just disappearing from a thread to never be seen again. Good for you.

I'm just tired lol But thanks. I didnt know Valve stayed independent. Thats good. Gabe needs more donuts!!!!

Wanna do something cool in HL2? Download Minerva. OMG soo awesome.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ravenlight

@awe_stuck said:

No, no Blizzard bought Sierra (Vivendi). Didnt realize Valve stayed independent during that. My bad.... My bad. Sorry, guys....

I'm kind've bummed out to learn that you aren't from an alternate universe or something.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By awe_stuck

@Ravenlight said:

@awe_stuck said:

I'm kind've bummed out to learn that you aren't from an alternate universe or something.

I wish I was. A universe where Infinity Ward wasnt owned by Activision. At least then I would never have been scarred for life by Call of Duty Black Ops.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By csl316

HL 2 is great.  It was quite amazing upon release, and still holds up reasonably well.

But it fucking drags, man.  Sections of that game just go on way longer than necessary.

Edit: imo

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BisonHero  Online

@csl316: The only part I agree with you on is the airboat sequence early on in Half-Life 2. There's the first section where you have no mounted gun, and then the later section when you get the mounted gun. They basically should have cut one of those 2 sections, because man, you have to get out of the stupid boat constantly, and there's all this acid you can't step in, and it's just kinda lame.

However, I think everything after that is absolutely fine, and I really enjoyed the car-driving sequences.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By csl316
    @BisonHero: Yes, that's really the main section that drove me nuts, now that I think about it.  I'm guessing that's the part that scares people away, since it's so damn early.  But Ravenholm could've lost a half hour or so, I think, and the same goes for the first half of the prison.  

Regardless, once you hit Anticitizen One, all is forgiven.
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By cstrang

I did not enjoy Half-Life 2 as much as most other people did...

Subach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Subach

I've already replayed the HL2 series multiple times with much enjoyment myself. What I like about the series, story-wise, is that the post-apocalyptic setting is contrasted with a growing notion of hope: The Combine may have trashed the planet, but humanity can still pull through with its combined ingenuity and resilience.

Oh, and if you ever need to kill a dude quickly from a distance, draw your revolver, use your suit zoom, get your crosshair on his head, zoom out, and then shoot. Liked the revolver a lot more when I figured that out.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By mikemcn

Great game that's just a tad too long. I prefer replaying the episodes.

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42  Edited By ddensel

One of my favorite games ever. I think I may be in the minority when I say I prefer it to the first game.

As an aside, I first played it on the original Xbox. Pretty good port for what its worth.

misterhaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By misterhaan

i played it a few months ago because they added steam achievements since the last time i played. got all of them and still enjoyed the game, though i agree with the point raised by a few people on this thread that some sections feel a little long.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.