Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 16, 2004

Several years after the Black Mesa disaster, Gordon Freeman awakens from stasis to aid a resistance movement against the Combine, a collective of trans-dimensional aliens that have conquered Earth.

Someone please convince me why I should even finish Half Life 2.

• 128 results
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#101  Edited By jakob187

Here's my best argument: 

Once you are finally done with the game, you can understand why people stick their penis in the disc holes.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By wrighteous86

The problem with the Half-Life story that some people have is that they "show" you the story rather than "tell" you the story.  It's a classic film technique, but it's relatively new to games.  The designers present  you a scene, and you're left to your own devices to figure out what happened, just like real life.  To find out anything about the 7-minute war, or whatever, you have to wander over to some newspapers posted on a wall, and an NPC will make brief mention of it for you.  Explanations aren't given for a character's missing legs, or the switching sides of the Vortigaunts,or the motivations of G-Man but enough clues are given that you can fill in the blanks yourself.  You know as much as Gordon Freeman does.  I hope they start filling the blanks in a bit more in the future, but it's defiintely an interesting take on game stories, one you'll be somewhat familiar with if you've paid any attention to Left 4 Dead's plot.  If your response to that is "what plot", then Half-Life probably isn't for you.

And you will miss out significantly story-wise if you haven't played the first.

pabsi9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#103  Edited By pabsi9
    @Aetheldod agree...my favorite game is oblivion but half life 2 is the greatest game I have ever played
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#104  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I never got what was so special about it, if you don't like it don't bother. 
    bolognarock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By bolognarock
    @Wrighteous86: Whether or not that storytelling method is great..... is subjective. I personally thought it was the weakest part of the game while the shooting was the best.
    achoyq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By achoyq
    @glorious_leader said:

" First off, Black Mesa was a facility that accidentally opened up a portal to another realm, releasing an utter shit storm upon the complex.  While all the scientists were being killed off by headcrabs and armed military goons, Freeman took up a crowbar and fought his way out, and leaving a trail that presumably allowed others to get out in his footsteps.  This, mixed with his ending the enslavement of the Vortigaunt and his capacity to overcome impossible odds are why he's seen as such an epic hero.  Also, the reason characters keep saying they're from Black Mesa is because even someone that played HL1 wouldn't necessarily know they were from Black Mesa.  There were no unique characters in HL1, instead having a bunch of generic scientist and guards running around.  However, the main characters of HL2 have appearances that are a tossup to the generic skins from HL1.  The characters, now having unique identities, are simply confirming that they were one of those insignificant individuals you encountered at Black Mesa.

As far as HL2's story, it's presented through the eyes of Gordon as he experiences it.  There is no narrator telling you the plot details that the common man would have no idea about.  This is meant to immerse the player further, I suppose.  The storyline is mankind's epic struggle against this new fascist, alien regime that is slowly walking us into extinction, and you're seeing just one perspective in all of that.  And since that perspective is from the man that everyone looks to to lead the revolution against that regime, the story is told primarily through you taking the fight to the Combine.  

The game does pick up as it goes on.  But not so significantly that I would guarantee you'll enjoy it.  I love the game in its entirety, but it is starting to get dated.  That sense of innovation that made the game so amazing is going to slowly disappear as time goes on.  For someone like me, every time I play it I'll be able to appreciate how awesome it was the first time I tried it out.  But, unfortunately for those that were late to the party, they'll never get to experience that.  However, I recommend you at least play for a couple more chapters.  The physics engine, which was a large part of the innovation that made the game so crisp, isn't fully utilized until you have the gravity gun.  I hope you're able to enjoy the game and see it through to the end, because it is a fantastic game.

Edit: 
    @ The various posters the feel there is not a storyline: The storyline requires the player to be observant to the state of their environment to realize what's going on.  Examples of this would be the portions of the game where you find docks sitting out over what appears to be desert, with an occasional abandoned boat laying in said desert.  At some point I think the developers expected you to realize, "Hey, this isn't a desert.  This is what used to be the ocean floor.  Those Combine s'umbitches are takin' our water!"   There is no formal exposition.  This is true.  However, by throwing the player into a setting drastically different from the first game, the developers seem to have intended to spark the curiosity of newcomers and those that completed Half Life 1 alike.  However, while this was effective for the latter group, it backfired for newcomers, who erroneously assumed that this new setting was explained in HL1. "

This. Though I admit it has aged a bit, but I still think it's a brilliant game. I may be assuming too much, but I think the reason why Gordon Freeman never talks is that the game wants you to be as that character, you are Gordon Freeman.
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#107  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I actually uninstalled it a couple of months back.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#108  Edited By Afroman269
    @Baillie said:
    " @TooWalrus: I was the exact same, I never finished it. "
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#109  Edited By wrighteous86
    @bolognarock: I didn't say it was great (I do like it, though I prefer a bit more direction), I was just explaining it.  It would be nice to have a few more narrative scenes in the game, but the story that exists is fairly strong, in my opinion.  The way it's told is more easily debatable as weak to me.
    NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#110  Edited By NickLott

The fan boat ride goes on for a bit too long, I think you should play past that and at least to Ravenholm before dropping it if you're not digging it. 

jtman54179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#111  Edited By jtman54179

We Don't Go To Ravenholm!

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Ignor

Later in the game, you lead a bunch of bugs in an assault on a prison. 

No Caption Provided
    mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#113  Edited By mylifeforAiur

It's an amazing game! That should be reason enough^^ 

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @TooWalrus said:
    " So he lent me the Orange Box, and after spending several hours on the first 5 chapters, I took the disc out went to play something else. There literally wasn’t a moment in those first 5 chapters I enjoyed."
    If you don't like it, don't ask people to feed you crap to change your mind. We're not your advisers.
    HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#115  Edited By HumanityPlague

You shouldn't.  Case closed.  HL2 is just not fun for sane people, is all.  Just ask Jeff.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#116  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

If you don't like it yet you won't like later.  The final boss fight will piss you off to no end.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#117  Edited By Geno

The last 1-2 hours of HL2 is what makes the game actually good, so if you've already invested a significant amount of time in it, you may as well experience the ending which redeems the rest of the otherwise shoddy game. 

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By jasta

I've never been able to convince someone to play this game, all the parts that they / you didn't like I loved. I literally can't think of anything else to sell it to someone when the only barrier is that I like this kinda stuff and they don't.

Dilemma.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Ignor
    @HumanityPlague said:
    " You shouldn't.  Case closed.  HL2 is just not fun for sane people, is all.  Just ask Jeff. "
    When it comes to Half-Life 2, I pick metacritic over Jeff's opinion any day.

TooWalrus, tell your friend Jason that he has good taste in video games.
    yogetoutdaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By yogetoutdaway

I've yet to see anyone mention how they "loved" the parts where you have to fight the airship assholes, or the tripods, or navigate that trip mine room, or walk on the struts of the bridge.... Yeah, fun right? NO!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#121  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

If you need to ask people to convince you to finish a game, you shouldn't finish it. Half-Life 2 was groundbreaking in many ways, but parts of it were very poor by 2004's standards, and are even worse today's standards. For example, the pacing in that game is pretty terrible. The game definitely isn't for everyone, and if you're not enjoying it, just stop playing it.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Ignor
    @yogetoutdaway said:

" I've yet to see anyone mention how they "loved" the parts where you have to fight the airship assholes, or the tripods, or navigate that trip mine room, or walk on the struts of the bridge.... Yeah, fun right? NO! "

They didn't detract from the overall experience. It's not like any of those were actual challenges or anything.
    Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#123  Edited By Nentisys

Fuck HL2. 

Go play the first Half-Life, its better in every way.

yogetoutdaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By yogetoutdaway
    @Ignor:  These thing punctuated the entire second half of the game. They were the experience!
    Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#125  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

It's one of the greatest games of all time. If you're not enjoying it, then don't play it. Just know that your opinion is wrong. 

(lol)

Don_Prudenzio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Don_Prudenzio
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:
    " It's one of the greatest games of all time. If you're not enjoying it, then don't play it. Just know that your opinion is wrong.  (lol) "

Exactly, then don't play it. I entirely agree that Half -Life 2 is a great game. I actually played it for the first time in november 2007 when the Orange Box was released. The graphics obviously looked somewhat dated. Somehow that didn't bother me at all. What a terrific experience, great story and great characters. Even the fact that Gordon doesn't speak wasn't a problem for me. Nowadays people consider that one of the big problems of this game. I disagree, I think that it really identifies you more with the character, instead of being pulled out of the story by a cutscene. The interaction with Alyx is one of the highlights of Half-Life. Not that I don't like a beautifully rendered cutscene, but I appreciate the way the story is told in this game.
    mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By mnzy

I played it shortly after it came out and wasn't that impressed even at the time. This is nowhere near the best FPS ever, really. 
    The physics stuff was nice back then, the end is kinda cool and I didn't mind the vehicle stuff, but yeah, it's basically 1984 - the game.
    I still love HL1 though. THAT was amazing when it came out.
    And god how pukingly amazing and fast was HLDM?

I'm old.

nukkajdav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By nukkajdav

It is probably my favorite game of all time. Why? Because everything it does/is appeals to me. If that doesn't appeal to you and you don't enjoy it, don't play it. Reverberated opinions do not equal empirical truth.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By blueduck

The game is amazing on the PC but it's total shit on a console. 

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By bybeach

I donno,..you'll get laid? Not a bad reason. 

Llke others though I have sympathy for your position. In reading the OP's post, I found myself having the oppossite opinion of things that he did, but if it was dragon age, or Oblivion or such, i would be quite in tune. I have no interest in those games, and the recent Quick look for example did zip to change that. Wierd story pretty much sideways to what i'm interested in, I'm no real real fan of fantasy. Science Fiction I am, but that getting laid part...virtual voyerism again..I'll do it but it's kind of creepy.  That seems to be a theme of Bioware in both IP's..Oblivion being another fantasy example by Bethselda. 

So if you can't find your way to appreciatte the game, don't. I found HL 2  had to explain itself little, both that and the silence of the protagonist is written into the fabric of the story..Freeman is  not acting according to his free-will, except to the extant of being confronted with cirtumstances imbetween forced downtimes. He must deal with it or he and everyone else dies..including the franchise I guess. For some reason he is regarded as a hero-unit both by the G-man and who he represents, and for various reasons by the inhabitants of his human world. Alexi's father might have known the most why among the inhabitants, because he also knew the G-man. But so it goes. I like the sardonic humor in HL2. Human life doesn't obviously count for much, yet there is a desperate struggle to save the human race. I liked the story. 

Go on to something you liked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.