Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life

Franchise »

A celebrated series of award-winning FPS games which has consistently pushed the limits and expectations of the first-person shooter genre since its inception.

All HL games are free to play until Alyx is released.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

According to Valve, that is. I've had Half-Life on the mind for a bit lately, for some reason, and I've been thinking of going back and playing through HL2 again, since it is probably the best FPS I've ever played. I'm sure some of you never got around to giving it a whirl, so maybe now while it's free would maybe be a good time to maybe install it and maybe play it and maybe fall in love with Dog all over again?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By liquiddragon

Portal 1 and 2 aren't free...

Episode 2 was good, I'll say that much.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Cool beans

I am less solid on Half-Life than most but HL2+Ep1+Ep2 had some great set piece moments and I think the developer commentary is required viewing for anybody with even a passing interest in game or level design as Valve did a great deep dive on things as simple as "We put this water tower here to catch your eye so that you are looking in this direction when a helicopter flies by". And it is a great insight into why games like CoD just lock your viewpoint rather than try to use visual cues

Half-Life 1 I think is probably going to be more fun to play but aged much more poorly in terms of mechanics and design. At the very least it should be fun for Borderlands players to realize where the vault monster originated from. And it is probably really fortunate that Black Mesa finally finished (?) Xen just in time for people to consider buying that before playing HL2 for free.

Also: Obligatory joke that this means they are all permanently free to play because Alyx is on valve-time

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

A cool idea but I'm surprised there's anyone who doesn't already own them all already, with how many times they've been a dollar on sale or even given away for free.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wemibelle: As "core gamers" it is kind of hard to imagine. But one of the big things that was talked about when Epic Game Store launched was just how many fortnite players had never used steam. Either because they were console/mobile players primarily or because they were genuinely a new audience

Coupled with Half-Life 2 being older than a significant percentage of online communities and consumer bases and I think there is a very large audience to "get hooked on" Half-Life or to at least install Steam to get a free game or two.

Now whether Half-Life is something that will really draw significant crowds these days is a different question.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tbh, I don't' think those games aged very well.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had Episode 2 on my PS3 backlog for ages and had very little incentive to play it. Now I can cheat my way through it and get it off my list.

Thanks, Gabe.

fauxical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I was literally thinking about replaying HL2 just the other day since next month will mostly be devoid of releases. Alyx might be the driving factor into me finally getting a VR headset.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.