Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life

Franchise »

A celebrated series of award-winning FPS games which has consistently pushed the limits and expectations of the first-person shooter genre since its inception.

Mods - Half Life: Source Coop/ Half Life 2 Coop

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By Stefan

Hey, 

I just finished Portal 2 Coop with a friend and now we intend to go back to the beginnings of the Half Life Universe. We would like to play trough 
    Half Life Source and Half Life 2 cooperatively but we are not sure if there are well working coop mods out there. 
    I found this one for Half Life Source: http://www.hlportal.de/?site=files&do=showfile&file_id=325 

I couldn't check it out myself since I don't own HL Source, yet, so it would be cool if you could share your experiences with that mod (or any other working 
    mod) with the community.  

There is this Mod called Synergy for Half Life 2 which seems to be a little more advanced but I still have to check that out as well: http://synergymod.net/Media 

Anyway, thanks for your comments/thoughts/advises 

CitizenSlug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By CitizenSlug

The only ones I really know of are Synergy, which you have already stated, Obsidian Conflict and I believe Garry's Mod has a way to playing coop. But to be honest I am not sure that any of them were specifically made, or have the ability to play Half-Life: Source. Most of them seem to focus on HL2 or custom coop maps.

Although, to be completely honest. If you have the original Half-Life or can spend $10.00 to buy it, the Sven Coop mod is almost absolutely your best way to enjoy co-op play with the original Half-Life. Also, if you are feeling up to it, you could purchase the Half-Life 1 Anthology for $15.00 on steam and I believe Sven Coop supports Opposing Force and Blue shift as well. Not only that, but Sven Coop has mad amounts of really fun user created Half-Life style of coop maps. I know your wanting HL:S, but considering it's a pretty shitty port, I would really go with Sven Coop.

Hope this helps. :)

Scapegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Scapegoat
    @Errordotocx said:
    The only ones I really know of are Synergy, which you have already stated, Obsidian Conflict and I believe Garry's Mod has a way to playing coop. But to be honest I am not sure that any of them were specifically made, or have the ability to play Half-Life: Source. Most of them seem to focus on HL2 or custom coop maps.  Although, to be completely honest. If you have the original Half-Life or can spend $10.00 to buy it, the Sven Coop is almost absolutely your best way to enjoy co-op play with the original Half-Life. Also, if you are feeling up to it, you could purchase the Half-Life 1 Anthology for $15.00 on steam and I believe Sven Coop supports Opposing Force and Blue shift as well. Not only that, but Sven Coop has mad amounts of really fun user created Half-Life style of coop maps. I know your wanting HL:S, but considering it's a pretty shitty port, I would really go with Sven Coop.  Hope this helps. :)
    The problem with Sven-Coop I believe (if my memory is too be trusted) is that the levels/enemies don't scale for the number of players in the game. This makes playing through any of the levels (Half-Life singleplayer and specific Sven-Coop maps - chickrun what what) very frustrating if you have less than 4 players minimum. This problem is exacerbated by how the combat in HL plays out, very fast, with slippery movement and no hit flinching from enemies.
    Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 27

#4  Edited By Stefan

The mod I posted for Half Life Source seems to be dead: http://halflifelibrary.com/wiki/Half-Life:_Source_Coop 

@Errordotocx: I didn't know that Sven Coop works with the regular single player. I played it when it was released... a decade ago or so and I think it only featured user generated levels. Thanks for the tip!

CitizenSlug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By CitizenSlug
    @Scapegoat: I believe you might be correct Scapegoat, the difficultly in Sven Coop can be rather challenging if a larger number of players are not present (if my memory is correct as well). But to be honest, my tactics while playing Sven Coop involves running into a room with guns blazing, kill a few, die, repeat. :P But I do believe that is quite a possibility.

@Stefan: Yep, Sven Coop is one of the first mods developed for the original Half-Life, and is still to this day being updated and developed. I grew up with Sven Coop and I still believe it is an absolute blast, given the right circumstances. Although Scapegoat might be correct about the difficulty. I do recommend checking it out as if it's been that long since you have played it, you'll be surprised at what has changed. But if not, see if Synergy or Obsidian Conflict will suit your needs. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.