Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Nov 19, 1998

Take on the role of Gordon Freeman as he escapes the disastrous aftermath of an experiment gone wrong in the Black Mesa Research Facility.

Confession - Never Played More Than 10 Minutes of Half Life

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Yup,  

I only bought Half Life for CS back in the day, and once UT99 came out...I said fuck that shit, and stuck with Epic's masterpiece.  Looking back now, I have tried to play the original Half Life many times over the course of ten years.  I could never get passed the part of once you get a handgun.   I beat HL2 on launch, but used cheats the entire time...and I never played EP1 and EP2.  I feel like this is a major strike against me, and I should be filled with shame. 

I'm really interested in trying to play the Half Life series in a legitimate way, so my friends told me to play OPFORCE first and then try HL again.  I'm kinda waiting for Black Mesa as it would be easier to get into.   

Now, I know I sing the PC FPS tune, and I standby that.  I think UT2k4 is the perfection of online FPS that no retarded space marine could even come close to.   

I never sat down and really played Half Life, but I want to.  Is it really required to play them?  Worth all the time and hassle?

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By wunder_

Yup.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By kingzetta

you didn't miss anything

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

That's unfortunate.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @KaosAngel: Just wait until the Black Mesa thing for the Half Life remake.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I played the original about a year ago.

Definitely hasn't aged well.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Aww c'mon, how could you pass up crouch jumping your way through platforming hell on Zen? Those were good times.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By nicolenomicon
    @KaosAngel: 
    I'd buy the HL pack that's on sale on Steam RIGHT NOW. And if you can't get into the mood to play it, just watch Freeman's Mind. It'll make you want to play it easily.
    cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By cnlmullen

I played through the original Half Life and Opposing Force not that long ago (like a year ago maybe) and I really enjoyed it. 

But I'm good at "adjusting my mindset" enough to play and enjoy older games. If your playing them and your not enjoying them, then don't waste your time and play something you like instead. 

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By august

You should just buy it off Steam and play it. It's pretty cheap. It invented cohesive narrative in fps games, and is still a pretty good time. 

No one should be fucking waiting for Black Mesa. They haven't updated for a goddamn year. Just assume it's never coming out. Maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised one day, but do not wait on it.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bybeach

Am I confused? I played HL with the source engine..I remember it was better than the origonal, but objects and such like sandbags still looked very funky, that sort of thing. They offer it as HL, source, and has nothing to do with the Black Mesa project, which sounds a few dozen orders above and beyond the graphic league of the HL, source I played. 

But it did make it more playable. And you know what, the game itself in concept is still great. Nothing like hearing that music when going down the elevator and you know the game is switching from hello(a long one) to rock and roll. HL was one of the very best games I have ever played, so glorious on the PC. Ah well, Memories.....Of the way things used to be. 

Where the fuck is Episode 3!

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gamb1t

One of the best games ever. Nuff said

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jmfinamore

Here's my confession: I think Half Life is very good, but not great. I've never understood the praise it's story (though I appreciate the little touches) or gameplay got. 

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dragonzord

I've played HL1 and HL2, once I got over the stigma of 'holy shit I put the can in the trash', and 'holy shit, look at the shading' I got bored pretty quickly.  The only Valve game I ever really enjoyed was TF2 and Portal. I always felt like I was missing the boat on that one. 

It's not like back in the day where I'd spend 24 solid hours playing Hexen. Love Hexen.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NTM

Half Life by now needs a gameplay overhaul. It's stuck in the past. As for your question; just wait for Black Mesa even though the release date goes for the "when it's done" approach.
    dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dragonzord
    @NTM said:
    just wait for Black Mesa even though the release date goes for the "when it's done" approach. "

True to the source material
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#17  Edited By wefwefasdf

Tried to play it a couple months ago but couldn't stand it.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By august
    @NTM said:
    " Half Life by now needs a gameplay overhaul. It's stuck in the past. As for your question; just wait for Black Mesa even though the release date goes for the "when it's done" approach. "
    See, funny thing is that they now say they've always said "when it's done" even though they previously said "late 2009" and now it's 2011 and the project is about seven years old.
    ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By ventilaator

I played  both Half-life 1 and 2, and the 2 episodes very recently.

You've missed dozens of hours of annoyances and 3-5 pretty awesome moments from episodes 1&2.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jasta

Its one of my favourite games, but a bunch of my friends cant stand it. I find that most people who don't like the game are the people who didint play it back when it came out, and get into the filthy habit of comparing old games to new ones.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Demyx

I played it 2 years ago for the first time and still enjoyed it enough. I would definitely just wait for Black Mesa, hopefully won't be too long.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Half Life 1 is still a great game. Using the Gauss Gun to take down a helicopter is one of my favorite video game moments of all time. The kids today think it's overhyped, but it'll always have a special place in my heart.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By august

For the love of Pete, stop telling people to wait for Black Mesa. There's a good chance it will never come out.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gamb1t
    @Jasta said:
    " Its one of my favourite games, but a bunch of my friends cant stand it. I find that most people who don't like the game are the people who didint play it back when it came out, and get into the filthy habit of comparing old games to new ones. "
    THIS
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KaosAngel
    @SL33TBL1ND: I already own every HL game, and got them ages ago.  They were my first purchases, I install 'em every other month to retry playing them but just get dulled out.  I think it's that intro, by the time I'm really moving around...it's about six minutes into the game.  I've seen that intro dozens of times now.   
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#26  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I bought it today and played it for the first time for about 30 minutes. I'm not sure if I'll play any more. It seems like a competent game, but generally speaking First Person Shooters from that era don't hold up nearly as well as the RPGs that I usually feature on my old game blogs. So basically, I have to echo everyone else and say "Just wait for Black Mesa, and when that gets canned just play Half Life 2 again"

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By yinstarrunner

You should play it.  It's a piece of gaming history that's influenced pretty much every other FPS that came after it.  It's something you should experience.

I don't understand what people mean when they say the game is "dated".
    Do they mean graphically? well,  no shit. 
    But the game is a fucking first person shooter.  You point at stuff, you shoot.  There's nothing frustrating about it (unless you suck, I guess).  Nothing really stuck out to me as painfully archaic game design.
    Unless you count the lack of regenerating health/ironsights/cover system/two-weapon limit as downsides? LOL.   Maybe I'm just stuck in the past.

I first played Half-life in 2006 and had few problems.  
    You should bang it out so that you can at least have an informed opinion on one of the most critically acclaimed and influential video game franchises of all time.  Play on easy if you're worried about difficulty.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KaosAngel
    @ArbitraryWater: The funny thing is, I can still play UT99 and not feel it's outdated at all.  I'm used to playing games like that, I even booted up Duke 3D over the summer and still enjoyed it.  It's weird when everyone I talk to says HL was this amazing game, but I just don't see it.  During that time I was playing way more Squaresoft games before UT99...so maybe that might have affected me.  
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Azteck

Know what I did? I watched a let's play and feel completely satisfied with that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.