Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halloween

Concept »

A night of ghost, ghouls, costumes, and candy. Some video games are based around this holiday, while others simply pay it respect with special levels or characters that embody the spirit of All Hallows' Eve.

Welcome to Shocktober 2014

• 185 results
    sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I really wanna recommend you some Asian horror movies.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By patrickklepek

Here's that full art, since people were asking. It's incredible.

No Caption Provided

borilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyberfunk: Have you seen A Field In England yet? There's one shot in particular that haunts me. You'd know it.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I must say that Trick 'r Treat is a solid "anthology" style horror movie. I also recommend VHS and VHS 2 if you are into that style of movie.

And I have always wondered why Silent Hill gets a bad wrap. It is a solid fantasy horror movie that really honors the spirit of the games.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Surprised to see Atrocious on there. That was a surprise hit for me a year or two ago that I stumbled across on Netflix and it genuinely terrified me.

Not surprised to see Bad Milo on there, but, hoo-boy, I couldn't make it through that movie.

I also now have learned that Dead Snow 2 is a movie. I imagine I'll end up feeling forced to go and watch it, even though I'm sure it will be terrible.

cyberfunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@borilla: havent actually, Ill check it out!

borilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrickklepek: The Borderlands is good found footage, too. You have to work for the payoff, but it's solid. And definitely see Under the Skin when time allows. Almost Kubrickian in its way.

slimepuppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By slimepuppy

Get hyped! Great list.

Kill List is one of the greatest horror movies of recent years if not all time. That movie sticks with you. (A Field in England is an interesting follow-up movie from the same director but nowhere near as strong.)

The one that I'm not sure Patrick's seen is Berberian Sound Studio which is a fantastic and subtle piece of meta-horror. Highly recommended.

And yeah, recent favourite has been The Battery.

Dontlooknow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Dontlooknow

I too will recommend Under the Skin it is a different type of horror film and definitely not for everyone, it moves pretty slowly but it is incredibly atmospheric and some of the imagery just won't leave my head. Also House is fucking crazy and totally worth the watch if you are into weird 70s Japanese Horror but again it isn't for everybody.

kingjulesxii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I doubt I'll strictly stick to Patrick's list this year, but I'll for sure be partaking in my own Shocktober.

Kill List is fucking DOPE. I didn't find it to be particularly scary, but it's moody as fuck. Great naturalistic acting; not for fans of "mumblecore".

Oh, and for whatever it's worth, I went to Bloody Disgusting's screening of VHS Viral in Hollywood in Sunday and it was severely disappointing. 1/3 of the shorts were engrossing, the wraparound was pure, squandered potential and it had a hella short run time. For the record I loved the first and only cared for Safe Haven in the second.

Cheers!

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also recommend Trick R' Treat, it's such a good movie.

porjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#62  Edited By porjos

Awesomeee, yeahhh - and the art for the article is simply badass. Happy Spookin'

Tortoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Tortoise

Under the Skin is good and creepy and has at least two very disturbing bits, but I don't think it would fit with the rest of the list as a true "horror" film so perhaps best to watch it some other month. Good luck

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I really like the idea of Giant Bomb having a lot of horror themed content in October, makes this month a little different from the rest of the year.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#65 rmanthorp  Moderator
    tblakebraddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pauper: Agreed. The movie is excellent and the team behind it is a group of super nice guys. One of my favorite horror movies of last year.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By EXTomar

Any comments on "new" horror movies? I've got my eye on Spring and When Animals Dream. And what the hell happened to The Green Inferno??

Imensae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When people ask me for a good horror movie I always recommend "The Changeling" from (1980), although I haven't seen it since I was a child. But I do remember it being intense. Anyone seen it? Want to know peoples opinions on it, incase I am remembering this movie wrongly.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Grabbers! Love that movie.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#71  Edited By BonOrbitz

@kingjulesxii said:

I doubt I'll strictly stick to Patrick's list this year, but I'll for sure be partaking in my own Shocktober.

Kill List is fucking DOPE. I didn't find it to be particularly scary, but it's moody as fuck. Great naturalistic acting; not for fans of "mumblecore".

Oh, and for whatever it's worth, I went to Bloody Disgusting's screening of VHS Viral in Hollywood in Sunday and it was severely disappointing. 1/3 of the shorts were engrossing, the wraparound was pure, squandered potential and it had a hella short run time. For the record I loved the first and only cared for Safe Haven in the second.

Cheers!

I'm excited to check some of these out (Rawhide Rex's face scared the shit outta me in Fangoria magazine back in the mid 80s), but I'm sadly disappointed by two things:

1) Hearing that VHS Viral is a huge let down... After absolutely loving the first film and thinking VHS 2 was laughably bad, I was hoping for this movie to be the series' return to grace. Was Safe Haven the cult segment? I thought it was good and interesting up until the very last line uttered at the end... It ruined the segment's impact on me.

2) Patrick not checking out WNUF Halloween Special. I discovered it last year because of him and was hoping to hear his reaction to it. I have a copy myself and plan on watching it on Halloween and hope it's good. I understand that there's just too much to cram in the month of October, even though there are 31 days!

...and Trick r' Treat is a must see for those that love horror anthologies. It's like the filmmakers had love, respect, and an understanding for the classic look and atmosphere of traditional Halloween- bright, vivid colors and cinematography, generic costumes that aren't "cute" or too kiddy, and celebrating a "childrens' holiday," but not watering down the fear factor. I absolutely love this movie as a huge fan of the holiday.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I wish The Guest was playing here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just watched both of Rob Zombie's Halloween movies. They're kind of a mixed bag, but I liked them a lot and think they're terribly underrated.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anybody old enough to remember local T.V. back in the eighties should check out The WNUF Halloween Special. They absolutely nail the low-budget, Saturday night, affiliate that broadcasts down the street vibe. I wouldn't exactly call it scary, but it's a blast to watch.

borilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• While I've tried to avoid movies exploitative of women (a trope the genre would be wise to stop using as a crutch to generate uncomfortable tension), it's hard to dodge in movies I haven't seen.

This argument always confuses me to no end. While some horror movies are very much guilty of exploiting women and misrepresenting the gender completely, it's one of the only genres that consistently have strong, interesting female leads. Looking at other genres in the action-genre for instance, outside of Aliens (which has it's roots in the horror genre), 70's action B-movies and Kill Bill there pretty much isn't a single good female lead in action-movies. I mean for christ sake, we still haven't gotten a big blockbuster Marvel movie which features a female superheroin in the main role. And yet just from 2013, off the top of my head, I can name two slasher-movies which VERY prominently featured female leads and good female characters in general - You're Next and Evil Dead. I mean christ even the dumpest slasher-movies, trash like Friday The 13th Part 2 and 3 had great female characters. And sure, sometimes certain movies in this specific genre get real fucking unpleasent in its exploitation of women, but hey, at least the gender is represented, often equal to the male characters. At least they aren't treated as an object that is either there to be avenged, lusted or saved.

Anyway, that's my two cents on the matter, back to the topic at hand. Interesting list, outside of the classics I think I've only seen Escape From Tomorrow an absolute embarresing trainwreck, that has a cool premise that it completely fails to deliver on. The black and white cinematography is atrouchious and the plot is bad and confusing in a way which makes it obvious the filmmakers were going for a Lynch-vibe but pretty much missed every mark. Worst of all, the only reason it was shot at Disney World seems to be because the filmmakers hoped that Disney would sue because the movie was shot guerilla-style without Disneys consent. They haven't done that, obviously, because no one should or seems to have given a shit about this awfull, boring, burning garbage.

kafuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great work thank you! Look forward to this every year, such a great feature.

Avatar image for cabrit_sans_cor
    cabrit_sans_cor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By cabrit_sans_cor

FUCK Galaxy of Terror, and its gross fucking rape scene.

Ugh.

Good list, though! (And good luck with Eraserhead)

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUCK Galaxy of Terror, and its gross fucking rape scene.

Ugh.

Good list, though! (And good luck with Eraserhead)

That's ultimately why I cut it, actually.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#80  Edited By Yummylee

Also, while it's maybe more psychological thriller than horror movie, the French-Canadian5150 Elm's Way is one of the best films I've seen in a very long while. The lead antagonist character is brilliantly acted and pretty interesting to boot.

brettrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anybody know where I can watch the WNUF Halloween Special? I can't seem to find either a physical copy or online streaming option anywhere for that movie...

kingjulesxii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bonorbitz: it is the cult segment! Which is actually directed by Gareth Evans (dude behind Raid 2)

Funny thing about the final line, I never knew what was being said until this last Sunday and I've seen it countless times. They played a couple segments from the previous movies before Viral so I guess hearing everything in a theater for the first time made it discernable (I just thought it was breathing/growling)

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yay!

jstaunton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kill List and The Loved Ones were completely lost on me, and I still don't understand how Alien is horror. It's a fairly suspenseful Science Fiction film...

sheeshor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice List Patrick thanks a lot! I thought I've seen everything worthwile allready, but lots of interesting stuff there I haven't heard of yet.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#86  Edited By SomberOwl
    mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope aliens isolation and evil within make an appearance on spookin.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Damn would've loved to read your thoughtso n Under the Skin since I didn't really view it as a horror movie.

Coherence is pretty good.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By BonOrbitz

@kingjulesxii said:

@bonorbitz: it is the cult segment! Which is actually directed by Gareth Evans (dude behind Raid 2)

Funny thing about the final line, I never knew what was being said until this last Sunday and I've seen it countless times. They played a couple segments from the previous movies before Viral so I guess hearing everything in a theater for the first time made it discernable (I just thought it was breathing/growling)

For me, personally, I wish it would have been breathing/growling or just a different word that's (trying to avoid spoilers here) a variant of the word to make it sound more serious. Hearing that word ruined the climax and the segment's intensity for me. Overall, that segment was probably the most memorable one in the movie. I just can't believe there are some out there, both critics and moviegoers alike, that thought the movie was better than the first film or that it "corrected what was wrong with the first film".

@brettrick said:

Does anybody know where I can watch the WNUF Halloween Special? I can't seem to find either a physical copy or online streaming option anywhere for that movie...

The link is NSFW because it has some retro adult films on it, but this is where I ordered it from (I don't think you can stream it): https://www.alternativecinema.com/movie/wnuf-halloween-special

@oldenglishc said:

Anybody old enough to remember local T.V. back in the eighties should check out The WNUF Halloween Special. They absolutely nail the low-budget, Saturday night, affiliate that broadcasts down the street vibe. I wouldn't exactly call it scary, but it's a blast to watch.

I remember that era and that's what I'm excited about the most. I didn't know it wasn't "scary," but maybe @patrickklepek heard the same and that's why he cut it? Watching the trailer brings back memories from the late 80s when a family here in Wisconsin made the news claiming their house was crazy haunted and was forced to move. The family and their story was all over the local news and eventually was featured on "Unsolved Mysteries."

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember seeing Ghost Watch when it first aired on BBC One when I was about 10, and it got to me in a way that nothing else has, before (I sneaked in horror at an early age) or since. That show caused quite the storm.

Seeing it recently, I can't believe I was fooled by it. Some of the worst acting I've ever seen. I thought I'd have known better, even as a child.

Still, it has some amazing little moments, and it was cool seeing classic 90s BBC light entertainment presenters stepping out of their comfort zone. RIP Mike Smith.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this if only because of Rawhead Rex. Speaking of, didn't Barker disown that movie or something?

dr_ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By dr_ryan

@patrickklepek it is a complete tragedy you cut WNUF Halloween Special. If you've never seen it, it is AMAZING!

OatsaPlenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rawhead Rex - it's the cinematic equivalent of someone (thing) pissing right in your face, ironically enough.

With that and Grabbers - has Danny been providing some suggestions, this year? (Halloween 3: Season of the Witch would be another "good" Oirish related suggestion; ♫Silver Shamrock♫).

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll just be over here, avoiding spooky shit all month. You guys have fun.

@patrickklepek: Wow! That art is fantastic!

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bonorbitz:

@kingjulesxii said:

For me, personally, I wish it would have been breathing/growling or just a different word that's (trying to avoid spoilers here) a variant of the word to make it sound more serious. Hearing that word ruined the climax and the segment's intensity for me. Overall, that segment was probably the most memorable one in the movie. I just can't believe there are some out there, both critics and moviegoers alike, that thought the movie was better than the first film or that it "corrected what was wrong with the first film".

@brettrick said:

The link is NSFW because it has some retro adult films on it, but this is where I ordered it from (I don't think you can stream it): https://www.alternativecinema.com/movie/wnuf-halloween-special

@oldenglishc said:

I remember that era and that's what I'm excited about the most. I didn't know it wasn't "scary," but maybe @patrickklepek heard the same and that's why he cut it? Watching the trailer brings back memories from the late 80s when a family here in Wisconsin made the news claiming their house was crazy haunted and was forced to move. The family and their story was all over the local news and eventually was featured on "Unsolved Mysteries."

Some of it is legitimately tense, but it's not going to keep you awake at night. I made a copy of it without the credits and had some friends over last year, after selling them pretty hard about how this was lost footage of a real event that I found in the darkest corners of the internet, and most of them weren't really sure if I was trying to dupe them or not until one pretty bad special effect about 3/4 of the way through the movie. It's really well made. Or I just have gullible friends.

Pauper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: While I do love the first Hellraisers and there is a bunch of crap in that franchise Hellraiser Hellseeker and Hellraiser Inferno are actually really good. Hellseeker is my favorite Hellraiser movie and I would totally recommend a viewing this Shocktober.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldenglishc said:

@brettrick said:

@oldenglishc said:

Some of it is legitimately tense, but it's not going to keep you awake at night. I made a copy of it without the credits and had some friends over last year, after selling them pretty hard about how this was lost footage of a real event that I found in the darkest corners of the internet, and most of them weren't really sure if I was trying to dupe them or not until one pretty bad special effect about 3/4 of the way through the movie. It's really well made. Or I just have gullible friends.

Cut out the credits and show it to some unsuspecting friends, eh? Hmmmm... That sounds like a great idea *twirls mustache*... Love your avatar, btw.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.