Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 09, 2004

The sequel to Halo: Combat Evolved continues the epic story of humanity's last and best hope: the super-soldier Master Chief, as he defends Earth from a Covenant invasion and fights to prevent the activation of another Halo ring.

Halo 2 Lives... barely

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

Found this Justin TV stream of people STILL connected to the Live service on the original Xbox... apparently there's only 65 of them left and none of them have turned their xboxes off since the service went "offline." I assume since Live is a service independant of platform, that they will simply either be forcibly disconnected at some point, or will no longer be able to connect if they log off. 

Here's the link:  http://www.justin.tv/fraggedears# 

Thoughts Giant Bombers? 

Personally I cannot fathom why people love Halo 2 so much, sure I played exactly 1140 matches before moving on, but then again I was a lot younger and still living with my parents when Halo 2 was coming out. What about you guys?

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

There was a thread like that earlier. But yeah, shit's crazy.

Smashlampjaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Smashlampjaw

Until there xbox RED RINGGGGGGGGS DOHOHOHOH

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Desperado, why don't you come to your senses? 
    You better let somebody love you
    Before it's too late

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Trilogy
    @Smashlampjaw said:
    " Until there xbox RED RINGGGGGGGGS DOHOHOHOH "
    BUT THEY'RE ALL PLAYING ON ORIGINAL XBOXS DOHOHOHOH
    UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx
    @Trilogy said:
    " @Smashlampjaw said:
    BUT THEY'RE ALL PLAYING ON ORIGINAL XBOXS DOHOHOHOH "
    Wow guys... lol. I believe the original still had a ring of light around the eject button yes? I can't recall and I don't want to find my Xbox in storage just to prove someone wrong =p.
    Avatar image for deactivated-608a5477560df
    deactivated-608a5477560df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Wow, i love Halo 2! wish I thought of this!

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By xMP44x

Wait, really? People loved Halo 2 that much? Enough to have kept their Xbox on for ages after the end of the service? That is incredible, but I don't see why Halo 2 seems so highly regarded. In fact, I don't really see why the Halo series at all is that highly regarded. But whatever. If they love the game that much they should perhaps find a way to play online on it without playing on Xbox LIVE with it.

smallville123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By smallville123

wow i cant believe its still going

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx
    @xMP44x said:
    " Wait, really? People loved Halo 2 that much? Enough to have kept their Xbox on for ages after the end of the service? That is incredible, but I don't see why Halo 2 seems so highly regarded. In fact, I don't really see why the Halo series at all is that highly regarded. But whatever. If they love the game that much they should perhaps find a way to play online on it without playing on Xbox LIVE with it. "
    Yeah, I personally think this is insane. Also, where do people get this amount of time to spend? I am jealous!
    Smashlampjaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Smashlampjaw
    @xMP44x said:

" Wait, really? People loved Halo 2 that much? Enough to have kept their Xbox on for ages after the end of the service? That is incredible, but I don't see why Halo 2 seems so highly regarded. In fact, I don't really see why the Halo series at all is that highly regarded. But whatever. If they love the game that much they should perhaps find a way to play online on it without playing on Xbox LIVE with it. "

says the poster with the halo avatar.
    Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Clubvodka

I get it. I loved Halo 2, some of my most enjoyable and socialable memories on XBL came from Halo 2. 

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Pepsiman
    @Smashlampjaw said:
    " @xMP44x said:

says the poster with the halo avatar. "
    Yeah, I gotta say that this... confuses me as well. Maybe it's made to be ironic? Who knows.
    Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Theres this thing called a pc

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xMP44x
    @Smashlampjaw said:
    says the poster with the halo avatar. "
    Does that prove anything? I don't see why the Halo series is regarded so highly. I like this image, but that does not make me a Halo fanboy or whatever you were trying to suggest.
    fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fwylo

A friend of mine is still logged on.  I threatened to come to his house and disconnect his internet.

j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By j_drace
    @xMP44x: You don't see why HALO is such highly regarded because you probably were not old enough to play the first when it came out and instead were one of those kiddos who just jumped in on the bandwagon.  Unfortunately that's pretty much most of the HALO community.  Little shits who never played CE or H2 and just jumped in with H3 or ODST.  Just like the kiddos who have never played the original Call of Duty or even CoD2 and just jumped onto COD4 or MW2.  HALO is what made console online gaming, it's what turned XBL into XBL, HALO is what made console FPS.  The cultural impact was also amazing since it spawned the 12 year old mic screamers.
    Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Gmanall

Man they must get tired of seeing the same people on over and over...

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By WinterSnowblind

They can't stay connected forever, and I assume eventually they'll be booted off.
    Seems like a waste of electricity really, the reward was for playing on the 14th.  They're not going to get anything for still hanging around  :P

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#21  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @j_drace: The original can have had all the impact it wants.  I respect it for that.  Bungie doesn't seem to know how to move on from a formula they kicked off nearly a decade ago, however, and that's why the series is getting a lot of flak from the gaming community at large.
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xMP44x
    @j_drace said:
    " @xMP44x: You don't see why HALO is such highly regarded because you probably were not old enough to play the first when it came out and instead were one of those kiddos who just jumped in on the bandwagon.  Unfortunately that's pretty much most of the HALO community.  Little shits who never played CE or H2 and just jumped in with H3 or ODST.  Just like the kiddos who have never played the original Call of Duty or even CoD2 and just jumped onto COD4 or MW2.  HALO is what made console online gaming, it's what turned XBL into XBL, HALO is what made console FPS.  The cultural impact was also amazing since it spawned the 12 year old mic screamers. "
    Oh, I'm sorry Sir. Due to the fact I did not own an original Xbox console I did not play Halo. Or Halo 2. However, I did start with Halo 3. However, unlike most people who jumped on the bandwagon,  I at least made an attempt to play the other Halo games. I purchased Halo 2 for PC. I played Halo at a friends house, on his original Xbox. So therefore I feel I have every right to have my opinion. 

And for the record, I jumped into the Call of Duty bandwagon with Call of Duty 4. But then I went back and played Call of Duty 2, 3, World at War, and Classic. So I do feel I have a right to my opinion on the subject. As for it making console FPS games what they are I'm not disputing that. But it is showing its age. I will probably get ODST and try it in the future because I like the look of the more open ended gamestyle. So yes, I clearly do not see why Halo is so highly regarded, due to the following reasons:

• I've contributed to the Bungie.net forums to the point where I was a 'Legendary Member'.
    • I played Halo, Halo 2, and Halo 3.
    • I used Halopedia to actually try and discover more about the world of Halo.
    • I played Halo 3 enough to know I was not enjoying it. I made it to Lieutenant something or other in the hope my opinion would change.
    j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By j_drace
    @xMP44x: Everything you just said rendered you're opinion invalid and completely agreed with my point.  You did not own an original XBOX nor did you own HALO CE or H2.  You can't play H3 and then try to play the older games.  It's like playing GTA IV and then playing GTA II and being WTF why is it 2D?  Halopedia is useless because story has nothing to do with HALO and that should be obvious.  Forum posting also doesn't help anything and finally just because you didn't enjoy H3 doesn't mean that it should not be highly regarded.  If with what I've stated you still can't see why it's so highly regarded then IDK what to tell you.  HALO is right up there with Mario, it revolutionized console gaming.  It defined a genre.  If you don't like it that's fine, but you can't deny the impact it had, which is why it's so highly regarded.  @Kombat said:

" @j_drace: The original can have had all the impact it wants.  I respect it for that.  Bungie doesn't seem to know how to move on from a formula they kicked off nearly a decade ago, however, and that's why the series is getting a lot of flak from the gaming community at large. "

@Kombat:  Yeah, they haven't changed the formula and H3 was a refined version of H2, with ODST being complete shit aside from firefight, but the formula still works and works very well.  Reach is promising change and it's looking very good.  Very few successful genres change their formula.  GTA is the same, God of War, Gears, CoD, it's all the same.  The only ones on the top of my head that I can remember that changed are Need For Speed, which turned out really good, Sonic, which went down the shitter, and FFXIII and we see how that's going.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#24  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The reported number of people still connected has jumped around a bit so it's hard to know if it really is still 65 but none the less there's something rather special about seeing these few people still connected to the game making the most of it. I've found it really surprising how many have been able to hang on after the official shutdown and that they've managed to stay connected for this long but its awesome seeing that Bungie are giving their encouragement to these guys.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xMP44x
    @j_drace said:
    " @xMP44x: Everything you just said rendered you're opinion invalid and completely agreed with my point.  You did not own an original XBOX nor did you own HALO CE or H2.  You can't play H3 and then try to play the older games.  It's like playing GTA IV and then playing GTA II and being WTF why is it 2D?  Halopedia is useless because story has nothing to do with HALO and that should be obvious.  Forum posting also doesn't help anything and finally just because you didn't enjoy H3 doesn't mean that it should not be highly regarded.  If with what I've stated you still can't see why it's so highly regarded then IDK what to tell you.  HALO is right up there with Mario, it revolutionized console gaming.  It defined a genre.  If you don't like it that's fine, but you can't deny the impact it had, which is why it's so highly regarded.
    What I said showed that I tried to enjoy the franchise as well. While it agreed with your opinion it shows that I didn't simply hop onto the franchise and not try to get more out of it. The fact that I bought Halo 2 for PC should highlight the fact that I was willing to try and find myself something I enjoyed about the Halo franchise. As for playing IV, and then playing GTA 2, I have actually done such a thing. And believe it or not I didn't mind it being a downgrade. Because technology was more limited at the time it was released and such. As for forum posting, it does have an impact on my game experience. Using the forums taught me some useful tips and such, so the forums do help IMO.

As for the series, I have my own opinion on it. It's alright. I don't think it is incredible, but I don't force my views on others. As for the Halopedia I do feel it is a nice resource because the story and world of Halo is incredibly deep. But generally most of it isn't really used, but it's nice to see it. I don't disagree that it caused a revolution in console gaming. It had a major impact. But I don't see why it's highly regarded. IMO, the gameplay is somewhat dated.

Now, you're welcome to your opinion. I don't particularly like the series though. So you're welcome to tell me I'm wrong and that I should be bowing at the magnificence of Master Chief. I'll still disagree but I won't argue with you. Not on the forums at least, because I don't want this to start becoming an argument between the two of us in a thread everyone can use. So if you must tell me I'm wrong and that Halo is awesome, then please do so in a Private Message.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@xMP44x said:

" @j_drace said:

" @xMP44x: Everything you just said rendered you're opinion invalid and completely agreed with my point.  You did not own an original XBOX nor did you own HALO CE or H2.  You can't play H3 and then try to play the older games.  It's like playing GTA IV and then playing GTA II and being WTF why is it 2D?  Halopedia is useless because story has nothing to do with HALO and that should be obvious.  Forum posting also doesn't help anything and finally just because you didn't enjoy H3 doesn't mean that it should not be highly regarded.  If with what I've stated you still can't see why it's so highly regarded then IDK what to tell you.  HALO is right up there with Mario, it revolutionized console gaming.  It defined a genre.  If you don't like it that's fine, but you can't deny the impact it had, which is why it's so highly regarded.
    What I said showed that I tried to enjoy the franchise as well. While it agreed with your opinion it shows that I didn't simply hop onto the franchise and not try to get more out of it. The fact that I bought Halo 2 for PC should highlight the fact that I was willing to try and find myself something I enjoyed about the Halo franchise. As for playing IV, and then playing GTA 2, I have actually done such a thing. And believe it or not I didn't mind it being a downgrade. Because technology was more limited at the time it was released and such. As for forum posting, it does have an impact on my game experience. Using the forums taught me some useful tips and such, so the forums do help IMO.

As for the series, I have my own opinion on it. It's alright. I don't think it is incredible, but I don't force my views on others. As for the Halopedia I do feel it is a nice resource because the story and world of Halo is incredibly deep. But generally most of it isn't really used, but it's nice to see it. I don't disagree that it caused a revolution in console gaming. It had a major impact. But I don't see why it's highly regarded. IMO, the gameplay is somewhat dated.  Now, you're welcome to your opinion. I don't particularly like the series though. So you're welcome to tell me I'm wrong and that I should be bowing at the magnificence of Master Chief. I'll still disagree but I won't argue with you. Not on the forums at least, because I don't want this to start becoming an argument between the two of us in a thread everyone can use. So if you must tell me I'm wrong and that Halo is awesome, then please do so in a Private Message. "
    I believe he is just saying that playing the game years after it has already been released takes away much of the wow factor. Much of the mechanics introduced by Halo are now outdated, so going back to play it is just not the same, regardless of how big an effort you make to enjoy it. Take from that what you wish.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @j_drace said:

You don't see why HALO is such highly regarded because you probably were not old enough to play the first when it came out and instead were one of those kiddos who just jumped in on the bandwagon.  Unfortunately that's pretty much most of the HALO community.  Little shits who never played CE or H2 and just jumped in with H3 or ODST. "

Little shits who never played H2?
    Not old enough to play the first?
    Wait, wait, Halo1 is oldschool now?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh dear lord, thank you so very very much for this gem. I almost snorted the coke all over the keyboard. My shitty day has now been brightened up :)
    Man I feel old :(

Edit:
    I'm sorry man, I apologise. That came off as being a bit of a dick.
    I totally understand you on the whole H1 bringing the fps to the consoles thing.
    j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By j_drace
    @Tennmuerti: IDK what the fuck your deal is, you must be one of those kids, but It's not old school.  It's just the majority of the people who play it are 13-15 year olds who were 4-6 when the first came out and 7-9 when the second came out.  You should analyze the entire post before ending up being a dumbass.
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xMP44x
    @S0ndor said:
    I believe he is just saying that playing the game years after it has already been released takes away much of the wow factor. Much of the mechanics introduced by Halo are now outdated, so going back to play it is just not the same, regardless of how big an effort you make to enjoy it. Take from that what you wish. "
    No, I do understand that. I appreciate that fact, but at the same time I did try to enjoy it. I actually got a decent 'wow' factor from finding the Battle Rifle to be so different.
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By spazmaster666
    @xMP44x said:

Now, you're welcome to your opinion. I don't particularly like the series though. So you're welcome to tell me I'm wrong and that I should be bowing at the magnificence of Master Chief. I'll still disagree but I won't argue with you. Not on the forums at least, because I don't want this to start becoming an argument between the two of us in a thread everyone can use. So if you must tell me I'm wrong and that Halo is awesome, then please do so in a Private Message. "

I think that even if you don't like the Halo series, it would be short-sighted for you to deny the impact that it has had on FPS gaming on consoles. Halo CE not only brought to the table intuitive controls, open ended gameplay and smart enemy A.I. but also proved that the FPS genre could work and work well on consoles. Without Halo CE, I doubt FPSs like Modern Warfare or all the other countless FPSs that have appeared on consoles since then could have thrived on consoles as they do today. Without Halo CE, FPSs wouldn't be nearly as popular or as successful on consoles as they are today (some PC gamers would still contend FPSs are best on the PC but the popular of console FPSs cannot be denied, nor can the huge contribution that Halo CE has made to this franchise)
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By august
    @j_drace said:
    " @Tennmuerti: IDK what the fuck your deal is, you must be one of those kids, but It's not old school.  It's just the majority of the people who play it are 13-15 year olds who were 4-6 when the first came out and 7-9 when the second came out.  You should analyze the entire post before ending up being a dumbass. "
    Pot meet kettle.
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xMP44x
    @spazmaster666 said:

I think that even if you don't like the Halo series, it would be short-sighted for you to deny the impact that it has had on FPS gaming on consoles. Halo CE not only brought to the table intuitive controls, open ended gameplay and smart enemy A.I. but also proved that the FPS genre could work and work well on consoles. Without Halo CE, I doubt FPSs like Modern Warfare or all the other countless FPSs that have appeared on consoles since then could have thrived on consoles as they do today. Without Halo CE, FPSs wouldn't be nearly as popular or as successful on consoles as they are today (some PC gamers would still contend FPSs are best on the PC but the popular of console FPSs cannot be denied, nor can the huge contribution that Halo CE has made to this franchise) "

I do appreciate the impact the series had, but at the same time I don't particularly like the series. It's the same as an actor, for example. I might not like his work but if he's good I have to respect his talent.
    Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kbm600
    @UnlivedPhalanx said:
    " Found this Justin TV stream of people STILL connected to the Live service on the original Xbox... apparently there's only 65 of them left and none of them have turned their xboxes off since the service went "offline." I assume since Live is a service independant of platform, that they will simply either be forcibly disconnected at some point, or will no longer be able to connect if they log off. 

Here's the link:  http://www.justin.tv/fraggedears#  Thoughts Giant Bombers?  Personally I cannot fathom why people love Halo 2 so much, sure I played exactly 1140 matches before moving on, but then again I was a lot younger and still living with my parents when Halo 2 was coming out. What about you guys? "
    I don't really have anything to say about the topic other than to say we're a match made in heaven with our avatars.

But yes, this is insane.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @j_drace said:
    " @Tennmuerti: IDK what the fuck your deal is, you must be one of those kids, but It's not old school.  It's just the majority of the people who play it are 13-15 year olds who were 4-6 when the first came out and 7-9 when the second came out.  You should analyze the entire post before ending up being a dumbass. "
    You kind of started it out by saying that people who do not appreciate the Halo series must be one of those little kiddies who never played the first Halo.
    This is the thing that made me crack up. See because from my experience it is the reverse. The younger generation are the ones who love the Halo franchise while people who have been playing better FPS games way before that are the one's not impressed by it.
    I'm 23 btw and I do not see anything special in the Halo series beyond the 1st good FPS on a console thing.
    But yeah, like I said in the edit above: sorry for being a dick.
    j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By j_drace
    @Tennmuerti: It's cool.  I do agree with you that there are better FPS that came before HALO, but those were all for PC.  I'm not saying HALO is the greatest FPS ever, but on consoles it was and to many still is especially now with consoles become more dominant over the PC.  I'm looking at this strictly from a console perspective because it's a console game and that's where it's legacy is.
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By grilledcheez

Well it probably has something to do with it being a lot of fun to play, and being far greater than its pos sequel Halo 3.  

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By Bollard

Ignoring the nerd bashing wars going on, the fact people are still playing Halo 2 is epic, and a testament to the game. Well done those men.

Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Colin

No matter what game it is there are always these type of people, if they enjoyed halo 2 that much all the luck to them staying connected :P.
    Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By Trilogy
    @UnlivedPhalanx said:
    " @Trilogy said:
    " @Smashlampjaw said:
    BUT THEY'RE ALL PLAYING ON ORIGINAL XBOXS DOHOHOHOH "
    Wow guys... lol. I believe the original still had a ring of light around the eject button yes? I can't recall and I don't want to find my Xbox in storage just to prove someone wrong =p. "
    It has a ring but I don't remember any RROD issues on the original.
    Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By Rayeth
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Azteck

This is fantastic. I love these people.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By Romination

Actually, I just heard a story recently that reminds me of this. It was someone talking about the death of the Dreamcast, and he went and picked up a copy of Quake 3. He decided to try the online and there was only one server on it, with two bots, hopping around and shooting at each other, but never managing to actually hit one another. He joined the server, and the bots swarmed him with unmatched zeal. He then quit and went into spectator mode, where the two bots continued jumping around in their fruitless efforts to kill each other. 

I hope, along with him, that these two bots remain locked in mortal combat for the rest of our lives, so that some poor person can play Quake 3 online

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#43  Edited By fox01313

Still surprised that Microsoft didn't just pull a kill switch on it the next day after the Giantbomb recording on the 14th.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I wish I was a part of this :( So coooool

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

dutch42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dutch42

jesus dude, thats some devotion.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#47  Edited By citizenkane

Can't wait until their Xbox 360s go RRoD and finally shut them out.

Darksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By Darksaw
    @CitizenKane: That's cruel, but inevitable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.