Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 09, 2004

The sequel to Halo: Combat Evolved continues the epic story of humanity's last and best hope: the super-soldier Master Chief, as he defends Earth from a Covenant invasion and fights to prevent the activation of another Halo ring.

Where the Hell Were YOU? 11/09/2004

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff

I've had this idea for a while for a recurring blog.  I'm sure someone else has done something similar, but I'm a whore for nostalgia, so I enjoy taking a look back at the past.  Hopefully I'm not alone in my enthusiasm for gaming history and we can garner some community participation here.  Do you remember what's important about November 9?   Feel free to add your own tales about the big day or about anything that happened in the history of gaming during the week of Nov 8-14.

Peter Moore knows where he was on November 9, 2004.
    Peter Moore knows where he was on November 9, 2004.

Were you pouring hour after sleepless hour into your first experience with Halo online multiplayer?  That's right folks.  It's been six years since Halo 2 was released for the original Xbox.  I remember it pretty well.  I was working for GameStop at the time, and we had organized a tournament that culminated with the final match right before midnight.  We set up a big screen TV outside the store so the whole crowd could watch and we surprised the final two players by having them face off in Halo 2, which obviously neither had ever played.  Even for someone that's not a big Halo fan, the eruption of the crowd when they realized it was Halo 2 loading up was quite memorable.  Around 1 AM, the last person bought their copy and I closed up the store.  I bought a copy myself but went directly to sleep when I got home.  Why?  Well, I had to be back to open the store early at 8 AM.  

EverQuest II Collector's Edition
    EverQuest II Collector's Edition
    Now, you may ask, why the hell would I schedule myself (I did the scheduling by the way) to work a midnight opening then an opening shift a few hours later.  Well, the answer is not so that I could spend the rest of the day playing Halo 2.  The answer is so that I could spend the rest of the day playing EverQuest II, which surely no one other than myself remembers launched on the same day.  I hadn't been active in original EQ for about a year at that point, so I was pretty hyped about EQ2 after being in the beta for a while.  Say what you will about EQ2, but it actually turned out to be pretty good.  It just took a few years of overhauling a lot of the game to get there.  I played it heavily for probably six months before it slowly faded from my priorities.  I thought about going back several times, but it's too late at this point.  Now I can start monitoring the development of EverQuest Next

As a side note, the best thing about that early morning at GameStop on 11/9/2004 was when my friend Stuckey came in to pick up his reservation.  Halo 2?  No.  EverQuest II?  Negative.  Jak 3?  Nope.   Mario Power Tennis for GameCube!

So, I ask... Where the hell were YOU six years ago today?

Other Notable Things from November 8-14

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Romination

Probably nowhere. I didn't have an Xbox because no one did. I was just in school and someone was talking about Halo but I wasn't listening because I just wasn't invested in it.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By melcene
    @Romination: Halo 2 was released for the original xbox in 04. 

I was working.  And beta testing WoW before its release a few weeks later.
    Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Marino  Staff
    @billnyethesciencepie said:
    " didnt have half life 2 come out that week? "
    It was the week after.  We can talk about that next week. ;)
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Romination
    @melcene: Caught that. I was just saying that I was doing nothing related to it.
    wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#7  Edited By wwfundertaker

School i guess. 

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By ChickenPants

Like most people I was staunchly PS2 back in the day so I don't really have any memories of the Halo 2 launch. However, as a nostalgia whore myself, I just want to say thanks for an enjoyable read. I look forward to the next entry.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I was waiting in line outside a local Gamestop at midnight with a friend, and about 6 months later I ended up unknowingly stealing his girlfriend from him. Anyway, I got home, played the first 2 levels of the campaign, then went to sleep. The campaign was pretty weak, but the online multiplayer is still my all-time favorite.

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

I have not often found myself excited enough to want to get a game at launch, if it wasn't for pre-orders I probably would never do it. I've only done it for a handful of titles, so lauch dates have never really meant much to me.

I did find it an interesting blog though, Halo is clearly the better known franchise and it's sad that another popular title gets released almost unnoticed because of all the attention that the bigger franchise got.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By melcene
    @Marino: I just realized I missed the part about EQ2.  When I was writing my response, I was trying to figure out if I was doing anything with EQ2, but remembering it came out about that time, I knew I wasn't.  I HAD preordered EQ2, and had messed with the character creation disk they gave you for preordering (long before the game came out).  I don't think I had gotten into the beta.  I was looking forward to EQ2 though.  Until my husband and friends all abandoned me and my EQ love for WoW.  So for the sake of my marriage, I did something I rarely do, and hopped on the bandwagon.  Hence why I was probably playing the WoW beta on the day Halo and EQ2 were launched.  That being said, I did end up going to play EQ2 for a while a couple of separate times.  I enjoyed it.  In fact, I had a ton more fun with my Troub than I expected. 

I think I'll keep an eye out on EQ Next.  I don't expect to have much time for any MMOs over the next few years, but maybe.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Jeust

Jerking off?! 

><

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By ch13696

November 13, 2000. It was Final Fantasy IX. I spent hours convincing my parents that this was a once in a lifetime opportunity to stay home for school just this one day to play the game. They actually went for it. They probably figured that since I don't stay home from school at all that they would give me the chance.

Waterboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Waterboi

not caring about halo

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By napalm
    @Waterboi said:
    " not caring about halo "
    nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nick_verissimo

Halo 2's release date was one of my better memories of High School even though I did not even own an Xbox myself.  What happened was I was in a Computer Engineering class and at the time we had someone doing their in class requirement's for Teacher's college working with us and he had convinced my teacher to teach us about LAN's while networking two Xbox's together.  He apparently used to work at Microsoft, so he had a couple consoles to bring in and to our surprise a brand new copy of Halo 2 to play for the entirety of the class and, subsequently, our hour plus lunch break that happened right after that period had ended.  Needless to say, none of us left the room and turned into quite easily the best day of grade 10.  So, even though I didn't have much interest in Halo 2 at the time, it still provided me with an awesome memory.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

School, then off to the store to get Halo 2. 
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mazik765

Outside the store with my buddy for the midnight release, dreading the test I had at highschool the following morning, but excited nonetheless. Also the first midnight release I ever went to.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By ZeroCast

November 9th doesn't bring pleasant memories at all.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShaneDev

I was sitting on a bus listening to my friend talk about how brilliant Halo 2 was going to be and how he couldn't wait to get it. A little bit later I got an Xbox mainly because of how much he talked about Halo and I loved it.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Vonocourt

I remember my dad driving me to target. We got there before the store opened, and we waited inside the car until a line of about five people formed. When the employees unlocked the door everyone walked to the electronics section. There wasn't anyone manning the checkout. So we had to wait until this girl who had no idea what was going on walked up. There were a couple people ahead of me; none of them had a pre-order. She gave each person ahead of me a limited edition, and they had to say no they wanted the regular one. Along with the plastic master chief covered edition, they were also given a strategy guide as bonus for being there early.

It finally comes to my turn, I proudly hand her the pre-order slip (I was only like thirteen). She looks at it, the  image of silver limited edition contrasting with the orange of the cardboard slip. Reaching into the box, she pulled out a regular edition and hands it to me. I protested, said I put down five dollars to guarantee that I got a limited edition. She looked at me and said okay, she rung me up and asked for the next customer right after I paid. My young mind was going wild; the fuck was this bitch trying to pull? First she tried to deny me access to the experience that only a select few(tee hee) would get, and then she was trying to shunt me out of a promotional item when they had plenty left. Thankfully my Dad noticed the lack of the strategy guide in my target bag and mentioned it so I didn't have to. 

Pretty much the rest of the day was me sneaking glances at the game in my backpack at school. I looked at the weapon and vehicles descriptions in the strategy guide during lunch, but dared not look at the walk through lest I were spoil the story.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#22  Edited By LordAndrew

I don't remember anything from that far back.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Marino  Staff
    @melcene: It will likely be a long time before EQ Next actually comes out.  So you have time to prepare. ;) 

What server were you on in EQ2?  I was on Najena.  In EQ1, I was on Rodcet Nife, which later merged with Quellious.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Diamond

I lined up at midnight along with several thousand other people.  I was shocked how popular Halo is.  I came home and was disappointed with how shitty Halo 2 was.  The end!  lol

Wow weird, EQ2 came out then too?  I don't remember that at all.  I remember playing a lot of Half Life 2 around then and GTA SA.

I must have waited a month to buy EQ2, and the game performed like shit on my old PC so I was never able to fully enjoy the game.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I was 13 at the time and only learned about the game through Gamespot. I didn't have an Xbox or know anything about Halo so it kinda went straight over my head. I did play it on the 360 some years after the original release though and loved it.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Glad to see another collectors edition copy of Everquest II. I'm lucky number 05263.........of 55,000><

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#27  Edited By BeachThunder
    @LordAndrew said:
    " I don't remember anything from that far back. "
    D: yes, you people freak me out with your vivid memories.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By JJOR64

Crash Bandicoot 2 was godlike.

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By BionicMonster

I just remember that when it arrived in the mail I ripped the shit out of that lint-lined envelope.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By nintendoeats

Christ, that was only 6 years ago? It seems like ages...of course I would have been 14 and xbox-less, so I guess that speaks more to my development than anything else.

illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By illmatic19

Watching CNN with my dad and they were interviewing people in line.

illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By illmatic19

Then I played a couple hours of San Andreas afterwards.

Fascism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Fascism

beta testing WoW and getting wasted in my dorm room instead of going to class

zepp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By zepp

I was in 8th grade and I had just found out what I wanted for Christmas :).

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Marino  Staff
    @mylifeforAiur said:
    " Glad to see another collectors edition copy of Everquest II. I'm lucky number 05263.........of 55,000>< "
    Nice.  You got a low number.  I just went to check and mine 48251.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By melcene
    @Marino: In EQ2 I was on Unrest I believe.  On EQ1 I was on E'ci, which got merged into Tunare I think.  All this talk makes me almost wanna go check them out again.  Along with any veteran rewards I have stocked up lol.
    Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Marino  Staff
    @melcene said:
    " @Marino: In EQ2 I was on Unrest I believe.  On EQ1 I was on E'ci, which got merged into Tunare I think.  All this talk makes me almost wanna go check them out again.  Along with any veteran rewards I have stocked up lol. "
    Probably once a year or so I throw down $15 just to log in, see if there's anyone I remember, and sneak around the "old world" and the first few expansions.  Having a level 65 rogue makes touring the old memories pretty easy.  It's pretty sad though when you spend two or three hours wandering around Kunark and Velious and never see another player the entire time.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By melcene
    @Marino: Totally understand!  I remember way back in the day how hopping the zone of Unrest was.  Constant trains.  Always fearing for your life.  One of my fave zones (that's why we picked that server name in EQ2)  Now it's a surprise if you even see one person in there farming.  Man, and how I loved pre-Luclin.
    vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By vager

I was at the Halo 2 midnight launch at a local blockbuster. I played the game all night and I had a math test first thing that morning. 
    I barely passed it, I think i had 52%.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Marino  Staff
    @melcene said:
    " @Marino: Totally understand!  I remember way back in the day how hopping the zone of Unrest was.  Constant trains.  Always fearing for your life.  One of my fave zones (that's why we picked that server name in EQ2)  Now it's a surprise if you even see one person in there farming.  Man, and how I loved pre-Luclin. "
    Oh, man.  Unrest was sure scary.  Especially when you're a dirt-poor cleric trying to not destroy all the copper you have on you, knowing that you are encumbered and will likely die if a train comes by.  That's something that turns me off from current MMO's.  Players should be afraid to die.  Whatever the penalty is, there should be something that keeps that fear instilled in the player.  Even at level 60, if I had to run through Kithicor, I always hugged the wall. 

@Vager said:
    " I was at the Halo 2 midnight launch at a local blockbuster. I played the game all night and I had a math test first thing that morning. I barely passed it, I think i had 52%. "
    Since when did 50% mean passing?  When I was in school it was 70%.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jadeskye

i was playing halo 2 singleplayer and being very disappointed.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#43  Edited By citizenkane

I was in Junior year of high school talking about Halo 2 with all my nerd friends in our physics and computer classes.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By vager
    @Marino:  
    I never had anything other then 50% as a passing grade, except for an A+ certification test. Maybe, it's a Canadian thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.