Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3: ODST

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 22, 2009

Taking place during the events of Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST puts players in the shoes of a silent Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (known as the Rookie) as he traverses through the Covenant-occupied metropolis of New Mombasa to find the whereabouts of his missing squadmates.

Am I the Only One that thought this was awesome?

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kishan6

It seems that everyone that played this game seems to dilike it for some reason and think its the worst halo game.  My thoughts are contrary to this though because i thought it had a single player mode almost as good as halo CE and the 3 multiplayer maps were some of my new faves.  So tell me GB, am i the only one?

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SuperSecretAgenda

You're not the only one. 

You are not a special and unique snowflake.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By FirePrince

It's ok.
    Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Scrawnto

I enjoyed it quite a bit. A lot of people will dislike something if too many people like it. A second group of people will start to dislike it because they see that it has become cool to dislike it. I prefer to judge each game on it's own merits. I personally feel that as a competitive shooter and an example of level design Halo CE was the worst Halo. As a screwing-around-with-friends game it was the best though.

I really liked the stuff they did with the map and vision modes in Halo3: ODST. The music also did a very good job of setting the mood.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By jkz

I thought it had the second best SP of the Halo games, just behind CE, and I loved firefight. 

So no, I thought it was good fun and I liked the whole tone of the campaign, along with their new additions. Could it have been 10-20 dollars cheaper? Yes, but I still got more value out of it than I do out of a lot of games I buy.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By sopranosfan

I liked the game.....what there was of it.  I just don't think it was worth $60.  I actually liked the gameplay of ODST better than Halo 3 but on Normal difficulty it was only 4 hours and the multiplayer was just the maps from Halo 3.  A 4 hour campaign and old maps just isn't worth $60 but I rented it for $5 so I was happy with it.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By septim

It was serviceable. The graphics, gameplay, and story were all competent but feel out of date compared to COD, or BF.

Seemed more like a contractual obligation then something Bungie really wanted to make.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crunchUK

Longshore... One of the best maps halo 3, or indeed any game has seen. Heretic and citadel work, but they don't have the same excitement or epicness factor. It reminds me of headlong, except it's more polished, and (sadly) has much less vehicles. Weirdly though the maps probably contain more gameplay hours than ODST itself...

As for ODST itself i thought the flashbacks were completely briiliant in every way. Just seriously, at each bit you found yourself wanting more and more. I found the rookie sections to be pretty dull though. New mombasa was a chore to walk through, and then it was superficial and irritating once you got the ghost. The one with the hogs, the one with the tanks, the one with the bridge and the ARM THE OTHER DETONATORS, kikowani station.... I've played those over probably 7 or 8 times. I must have played through mombasa.... twice.

As for firefight, it was pretty good but it lacked a matchmaking, it lacked drop in/drop out (that would have made everyone's lives THOUSANDS of times easier), but worst of all everyone wanted to play lost platoon for easy achievements and lost platoon sucks. You jacked a few choppers and then sat in them for hours. Fun, fun fun... 

But i am being very critical here. And here in the UK one didn't have to pay full price for it. It was £30-35 as opposed to £40-45 for most games.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I'm having fun with it, finally rounded up some friends for a co-op campaign run which should be good.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By mazik765

This game was great. The only thing that bothered me was the red effect whenever you got hit, but the fact that they had voice work from 3 of the cast members of Firefly made up for that.

Oh, and firefight is awesome.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By MistaSparkle
    @kishan6:
    Kinda hated it at first till my xbox broke. Now that's the first thing im gonna pop in my new elite!
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Evilsbane

I liked it better than 2, ODST felt like the missing portion of Halo 2 so I had some fun with it. Way to short.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By asurastrike

I got 60 points in it before I gave up due to sheer boredom. ODST feels like an ancient game.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

It has the best campaign besides the original.

Callumrides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Callumrides

i really enjoyed odst thought it was very well crafted

RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RedneckedCrake

Thought the campaign was way too short but other than that it was pretty sweet. The level where most of the ODST squad is reunited and they're fighting around the pelican on the platform and Covenant dropships are shooting at you and Brutes are dropping all around the platform was fucking sweet.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By Chris2KLee

Strangely it was my favorite Halo to play in single player. The story was a bit short, but I found the combat satisfying.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I thought the ODST's campaign kicked the crap out of Halo 3's campaign.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nail1080

I rate the game

meh/achievements

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By DukeTogo

I usually like it when they ignore the main character and focus on the cannon fodder you usually see killed as the hero, but the fact that they phoned it in and used the same engine and made the night vision almost mandatory for most of the game made it feel like DLC in a full-priced package.

Reach looks like what I wanted ODST to be, so I'm glad I waited for it instead.  Maybe once the Reach beta ends and ODST becomes worthless I'll pick it up used.

thejamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thejamster

i thought it was awesome, the campaign had a good feel to it and firefight took up a bunch of my time around launch

Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No I thought it was a great game, a bit short, but well worth it with all the Halo 3 three maps on it and the Mythic map pack 2 is awesome, so yeah money well spent. 

Also, I don't know if this is just America, but in the UK ODST was actually a lot cheaper than most games, £30 as opposed to £40-£50 normally.

supernando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By supernando

When I played the game around christmas time I thought it was an OK game at best but the past week I've looked back at the game and thought it was really good. Maybe its a game that will age well. 

I've found myself going back to it just to play firefight mode now.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Sitoxity

I liked it a lot more than 2 and slighty more than 3. It's definatly equal to Halo: CE in my eyes. I loved the campaign a lot, and Firefight was an amazing addition which I had wanted in a Halo game ever since I played the original.

outlawtotheend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By outlawtotheend

No, I'm with you. 

I really like the campaign, I've got great memories of playing almost all of it through on New Years Day this year, I had tons of fun with it. I will say it took me a while to get into the campaign though. I also found it more difficult than Halo 3.

Firefight is awesome and is probably the one thing that makes this game stand out for me. It's the only reason the campaign disc ever goes in my console anymore. The only thing wrong with it was it had no matchmaking, but Reach will fix all of that.

As a person who had only downloaded the free maps before getting ODST, the multiplayer disc was great for me and added lots to the game..  

As a person who didn't play Halo: CE or 2, this is probably better than Halo 3 for me.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By ProfessorEss

Never played the multiplayer, but I enjoyed the campaign.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I agree, it was an awesome game, I loved ODST's single player.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I really liked ODST. I think a lot of the dislike for ODST came from people wanting or expecting the game to be something it wasn't, people wanted a long campaign and brand new multiplayer (although I do understand some of these grievances were tied up with price rage). I've always said that while you can blame a game for what it does badly you can't blame a game for not doing things it's not trying to do. It may not have had a full-length campaign or a new multiplayer mode but that was never what ODST was meant to be, it was meant to be a short bridge between Halo 3 and Halo: Reach and from that perspective I think the game did a great job. It provided a unique Halo campaign with different gameplay, a different main setting, new characters, some great lighting and an unconventional soundtrack. I think the campaign was made just as well as that of any other Halo game and that the firefight mode provided an exciting new addition to the world of Halo.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#29  Edited By fox01313

Aside from the stupid stamina game mechanic (name), I thought that the game was quite enjoyable. By playing the different people from where they crashed or what was going on it did give them a little more personality & memorable when finding leftover item in battle. I just can't understand why with this why Bungie couldn't have just said that for the ODST troops they have a light shield unit to deal mostly with orbital drops but not strong enough as the spartan shield due to it being lighter weight (or needing more components from the spartan armor to enforce the shield strength), just calling it stamina seemed silly to me. The lighting & HUD were quite interesting change though I agree with Jeff that it means you see the game through the low-light most of the time because it's so useful. Quite enjoyable & recommended.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.