Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3: ODST

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 22, 2009

Taking place during the events of Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST puts players in the shoes of a silent Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (known as the Rookie) as he traverses through the Covenant-occupied metropolis of New Mombasa to find the whereabouts of his missing squadmates.

Does it matter if I haven't played Halo 3?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d59d1a719efd
    deactivated-5d59d1a719efd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Ok,first off,I know how annoying this sounds asking if it matters if I play this game before Halo 3,I don't like playing games out of order either. I'd like to play Halo 3 first,but I don't have spare money to spend on it. I got ODST with a new 360 package.
    But anyway,I was wondering in this case does it really matter if I haven't played Halo 3,I know there not very heavy with there stories,so I figure I can just play this and then eventually pick up Halo 3.
    And I hear this takes place during the Halo 3.Is there any spoilers in this game that happened in Halo 3?
    Just curious on your guys thoughts?
    So does it really matter in this case?

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Lies

No. Chronologically ODST comes after the end of the level Metropolis in Halo 2 anyways. It only has the Halo 3 moniker because it uses the same engine. Completely self contained.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By fripplebubby

This takes place between Halo 2/3. I am a big Halo fan, so I would say you should play 1,2, and then 3, and THEN odst. However, odst is a companion to Halo 3, and a story cut off all in itself. You should be fine.

MystDragon3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MystDragon3k
    @Lies said:
    " No. Chronologically ODST comes after the end of the level Metropolis in Halo 2 anyways. It only has the Halo 3 moniker because it uses the same engine. Completely self contained. "
    This.

Also, if you ever say Halo isn't heavy on story again, I'll beat you with a fish. Fine, I'll admit that their lore is obscure and not at the forefront during gameplay, but there is still plenty of story, and if you do care about what happens during the games, then you would probably actually want to play ODST first, then Halo 3, since Halo 2 takes place during the 2nd half of Halo 2.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d59d1a719efd
    deactivated-5d59d1a719efd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Alright,thanks for the help guys.
    I'll probably just play ODST,and then play Halo 3 whenever I get it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.