Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 25, 2007

The conclusion to the original Halo trilogy has the super-soldier Master Chief joining forces with The Arbiter to finish off the threat of both the remaining Covenant Empire and the parasitic Flood, once and for all.

Do I need to play the previous games?

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By shivermetimbers

In order to understand the plot of Halo 3, do I have to play the previous games in the series?

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By swoxx

You could always read up on it online

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By AlmostSwedish

Do understand the plot, yes.

To enjoy the game, probably not.

shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By shivermetimbers

Aliens are bad.....must kill aliens.....Do I have a pretty good grasp on it?

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Commisar123

For plot yes, or just wiki it its not complex enough to require you actually reading it but its a better experiance if you like or understand the plot

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By JoeyRavn

Not really. You'll obviously benefit from knowing the story so far and getting to know the lore in more depth, but I guess you can totally play the game and fill in the holes in the story with some video walkthrough on YouTube. But if you enjoy the Halo franchise, you should play all the games. Pretty logical stuff, really.

shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By shivermetimbers

From what I made out...Halos are things made by aliens who wanted to kill the flood and the flood are a bunch of evil parasite things that kill in large amounts. The covenent wants to kill humans because their "gods" told them to, so they go to earth to find the arc which will activate all the Halos, which will kill everybody....so I guess they don't mind that they're killing themselves...or is it just that they believe that the Halos will only kill humans?

Also, who is this halogram lady that annoys me constantly?

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@shivermetimbers said:

From what I made out...Halos are things made by aliens who wanted to kill the flood and the flood are a bunch of evil parasite things that kill in large amounts. The covenent wants to kill humans because their "gods" told them to, so they go to earth to find the arc which will activate all the Halos, which will kill everybody....so I guess they don't mind that they're killing themselves...or is it just that they believe that the Halos will only kill humans?

Also, who is this halogram lady that annoys me constantly?

That's Cortana, she's your homeboy. I don't think it would do any harm to go back and play the other two games, they're both quite fun.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By gamb1t

space marine, fuck shit up, everything in site. never played it but im sure i hit it on the dot.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By landon

The story in Halo is poorly told and forgetful. Just play it for the excellent first person shooting.

shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shivermetimbers

The shooting is okayish, it doesn't have much of a punch, but it's well paced for the most part. Those vehicle sections can fuck right off though.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jayjonesjunior

You should, the first one is really good.

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By NickLott

There's some alien muppets you kill. That's okay for a bit. Ghostly blue lady says stuff. Then some other aliens show up and it goes downhill quick. Then Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors is there. 45 degree angle corners on buildings. Purple. Green. Halo 3. The End.

Seriously though, if you never played Halo Reach, just play that. You don't need to know anything about the series for that and as a Halo cynic, I found it enjoyable.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Green_Incarnate

The other games are better. You should probably play those.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd reccomend at least playing through halo 2,, as they're pretty much back to back. But, both halo 1 and 2 are so cheap now, why not? The pc version of halo 1 looks great even today, and still holds up. Halo 2...is fine on the pc? But unlike halo 1, you kindof need a half way decent pc to play it. Will say, if you can, do play at least the original on the pc. You won't regret it. HUGE improvement. Halo 2 looked good enough on the xbox.

shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shivermetimbers

I just got an 360 a month ago, so I'm just randomly trying out the exclusives, in case people are wondering or give two shits. There was a Fable 2/Halo 3 bundle pack thing, so I got that. I'm short on cash, otherwise I would've gotten Halo Reach, that bundle pack was 11 dollars. I'm a cheap bastard.

Playing the first 2 would require me getting an original Xbox, which I don't feel like doing just so that I can understand the plot of a game that I only bought as an experiment into waters I haven't tread into much.

I guess I kinda titled the thread wrong...I should've asked if I needed to read up on it. My bad....

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Green_Incarnate

@shivermetimbers: You don't need an original Xbox. All the Halo games are backwards compatible on the 360.

shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By shivermetimbers

@Green_Incarnate said:

@shivermetimbers: You don't need an original Xbox. All the Halo games are backwards compatible on the 360.

Oh shit, you learn something new everyday. Thanks...

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By benpicko

@shivermetimbers said:

Aliens are bad.....must kill aliens.....Do I have a pretty good grasp on it?

No not really. Why don't you wait for the Halo Combat Evolved remake? Play that, then two first.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.