Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 4

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 05, 2012

The first game in the second saga of the Halo sci-fi series has the Master Chief awakening from cryostasis as he explores the mysterious Forerunner shield world Requiem, fights a newly-formed Covenant group, and accidentally awakens an ancient evil.

Guys, they may have fixed this game.

• 56 results
    OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By OldManLight

Just loaded it up tonight and all my problems with this game appear to have been fixed. Long range weapons have been rebalanced so it no longer feels like i need to "pick the DMR or die" Weapon spawns have been tweaked and made more consistent, kill cams are no longer a pain to watch, and they've added slayer variants to the infinity slayer playlist like slayer pro. If anyone still has a copy, you should give it a go.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BisonHero

Did they also change the entire plot so it actually heads in a new direction, instead of conveniently (lazily) making the Covenant the antagonists again?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Did they also change the entire plot so it actually heads in a new direction, instead of conveniently (lazily) making the Covenant the antagonists again?

Yeah. It's Middle Eastern Terrorists now.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By bigjeffrey

Am a very good Halo player (what ever that means). SICK ass Kd and shit, but im done with Halo probably until the next Halo game. Excluding Spartan Assault.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Did they decide whether Master Chief should be an invincible super-soldier or some green guy who can't take more than a few shots without keeling over (about as much as his enemies)?

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Hmm, might have to give it another go. I really didn't like the changes they made to it--it barely felt like a Halo game.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did they turn off the servers?

Because that would fix all my problems.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mariachimacabre: Space 'Murrica, fuck yeah.

Yeah the Space Terrorists are from Space Iran. It's on the Space Moon.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By ShadyPingu

Well I, for one, appreciate Halo 4 for its tagline. Now whenever someone trots out that hoary old trope again, I can just say An Ancient Evil Awakens.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bicycleham

@mariachimacabre said:

@bisonhero said:

Middle Eastern Russian Dogs.

Edit: That also happen to be zombies. That are nazis.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mariachimacabre: But does it have dogs?

Dogs can't look up and thus they cannot go into space. Space Dogs, on the other hand. Yeah. They're in it.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By JasonR86

@bisonhero said:

Cortana has 'follow' written over her head at all times.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Good God, I didn't know you guys hated Halo 4 so much.

Oh, by the way, Halo 4's multiplayer kinda sucked from the beginning. I don't think a rebalance would have fixed it for me.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: I just hate any series that becomes a slave to pre-existing antagonists and mythology. I'd love for Halo to get past the Covenant, and actually put the effort into designing some new enemy race/culture or whatever. I'd love for Zelda to close the book on Hyrule, Ganon(dorf), and the Triforce for good. If you want, take a note from BioShock and say there is always a Link, a Zelda, and an adventure, but I'm so fucking tired of every game basically being Link to the Past with a couple tweaks.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DharmaBum

If they got rid of flinch, made sprint optional, and allowed you to drop the flag, then the game would be truly fixed. The 4-shot BR and 2-shot beatdown are definitely a step in the right direction though. The game plays much better.

343 also hired Bravo, someone from the competitive community, Quinn DelHoyo who is partly responsible for adding spectator mode to Gears 3, as well as someone who worked on StarCraft 2 matchmaking (hence the recent CSR ranking).

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Justin258

@bisonhero: I certainly agree, I was hoping that Covenant were only in Halo 4 so that they could be wiped out for good halfway through and that these new enemies would be more interesting. Nope.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Did they take all of the relevant and essential background information and character motivations out of Halo Waypoint and a number of books, movies, and graphic novels and actually include them in the story of the game so that the narrative tells a concise and coherent arc?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EXTomar

@bisonhero said:

@mariachimacabre: But does it have dogs?

I think the stuck a dog in a capture suite and launched into space.

The sad thing about Halo 4 was that they had a nearly perfect setup out of Halo 3. They were heading off to places unknown where they could have created an entirely new story, explore different themes, and go against a new threat. Instead we end up back on Earth saving it again from the bad same bad guys with a dumber plot (something about digitizing everything because everything is impure!).

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By artelinarose

Did they take all of the relevant and essential background information and character motivations out of Halo Waypoint and a number of books, movies, and graphic novels and actually include them in the story of the game so that the narrative tells a concise and coherent arc?

I read none of that and the story made sense to me. Maybe I am just smarter than your average bear but I don't understand what there isn't to get.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The new multiplayer tweaks seem pretty cool, I'm glad 343 are supporting the game as well as Bungie did with the older games. I don't think the game was broken to begin with though, and I think the bigger problems with it were less "Long range weapons need balancing", and more to do with them playing it safe with the new features, not doing a great job in putting across the story, Spartan Ops being crap, etc. Anywho, I think it was a great game before and it's a great game now.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wrighteous86 said:

I read none of that and the story made sense to me. Maybe I am just smarter than your average bear but I don't understand what there isn't to get.

A complaint about Halo 4 is that a lot of the story isn't actually in Halo 4 but in Waypoint.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@extomar said:

@artemesia said:

@wrighteous86 said:

A complaint about Halo 4 is that a lot of the story isn't actually in Halo 4 but in Waypoint.

What? You didn't understand who the villain was despite the fact that he is introduced with no preamble and everyone acts like they know who he is for the rest of the story?

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

@artemesia said:

@wrighteous86 said:

What? You didn't understand who the villain was despite the fact that he is introduced with no preamble and everyone acts like they know who he is for the rest of the story?

He was introduced as a bad guy imprisoned for some awful stuff he did and attacked you for simply being a human being, so he obviously has some beef with humanity. Wakes up, realizes humanity is the next in line to claim the Mantle of Responsibility and is unwilling to accept this because of his prejudices, sets off to blow them up. The rest is explained later by the Librarian; humanity was running from the Flood, Forerunners mistook them as invading, didn't realize their mistake until it was too late. Didact was always a bit of a loose cannon, lost his children to the war and has harbored a grudge ever since, one powerful enough that they needed to seal him away so he didn't do anything stupid, Forerunners set Humans up to be the Reclaimers of the Mantle.

I didn't watch any of the waypoint stuff because I think it's very silly to expect me to download a separate app, sit through load times, then have go back to my game just to watch hidden collectible videos.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

@artemesia said:

@wrighteous86 said:

I just assumed I was fighting a space genie.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EXTomar

Wasn't that the plot of Aladdin 2: The Return of Jaffar?

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

The response to this post has been almost entirely snark but this actually has my attention. If they have done a good job re-balancing it I might have to load it up.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artemesia: And all of that is told in the most haphazard manner possible until the lore dump that also reveals that Master Chief is the chosen one. There's a difference between leaving details implied for the audience to suss out and straight up poor exposition. I'm not asking for art in my storytelling, but I am asking for coherency and the plot of Halo 4 has none of that.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artemesia: And all of that is told in the most haphazard manner possible until the lore dump that also reveals that Master Chief is the chosen one. There's a difference between leaving details implied for the audience to suss out and straight up poor exposition. I'm not asking for art in my storytelling, but I am asking for coherency and the plot of Halo 4 has none of that.

Master Chief isn't the chosen one, Humanity as a whole is. It is Humanity's destiny to assume the Mantle of Responsibility, the head seat of the galaxy. That's shown in the Infinity cinematic as well, where Humanity is no longer the underdog and is now actively pushing out into the stars.

There was enough implied at the Didact's reveal to know his character well enough to form an opinion. He is obviously powerful, he is obviously a warrior, he obviously does not like human beings and has a very low yet informed opinion of them, he is a dirty little scumbag willing to do what it takes to win yet also values honor, etc. The plot has coherency because it makes sense all the way through and keeps its tone; it's a downer of a story about soldiers coming to term with what they've lost or what they stand to lose. The Didact is the last (known) Forerunner trying desperately to remain relevant, John is a socially inept supersoldier with no connection to his own race trying to fix the one good thing he's got. It might be space opera bullshit, but it never derails itself or stops making sense.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By OldManLight

after a few chuckles, i stopped reading the new halo 4 space iran fan fiction you guys drafted and wanted to clarify that i was just talking about the multiplayer feeling like it plays better now. The story is still completely fucked. Also, needler feels a little bit toned down, people move faster though not sure exactly at what rate, vehicles feel more useful and balanced and i don't feel like any of the ordinance drops are all that unbalancing now that they tuned the regularly spawning power weapons on the map to seem more readily available in consistent locations as they did in past halo games. In general, the game just feels tighter and plays a little more like the halo's of old. It's a shame that it took 7 months for it to get to this point but hopefully people will give it a second chance maybe finally consider it. I will give 343 props for the strides they've made in getting the game more to the poing of where the community was asking it to be.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By artelinarose

after a few chuckles, i stopped reading the new halo 4 space iran fan fiction you guys drafted and wanted to clarify that i was just talking about the multiplayer feeling like it plays better now. The story is still completely fucked. Also, needler feels a little bit toned down, people move faster though not sure exactly at what rate, vehicles feel more useful and balanced and i don't feel like any of the ordinance drops are all that unbalancing now that they tuned the regularly spawning power weapons on the map to seem more readily available in consistent locations as they did in past halo games. In general, the game just feels tighter and plays a little more like the halo's of old. It's a shame that it took 7 months for it to get to this point but hopefully people will give it a second chance maybe finally consider it. I will give 343 props for the strides they've made in getting the game more to the poing of where the community was asking it to be.

All players move at 110% speed instead of 100%, the Mantis and Warthog had their machinegun damage upped by quite a bit, BR is a 4 shot burst now, every faction's assault rifle does more damage but the auto aim on them isn't as sticky, red reticule/auto aim assist range has been adjusted on pretty much every weapon. That's all I know.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EXTomar

You must have read something or played a different game because I got almost none of that playing Halo 4. In particular the Didact wants the fight because it proves his notion of superiority where honor doesn't even cross his thoughts let alone plans.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Traded that garbage in months ago

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#35  Edited By Cirdain

@bisonhero said:

HA! I found that way too funny.

Traded that garbage in months ago

Also, quite funny.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cirdain: Pssssh, laserbolts is just being mean. On the other hand, our Halo 4 space Iran fan fiction is deep and brilliant satire, the likes of which the world has never before seen.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artemesia:

@extomar said:

You must have read something or played a different game because I got almost none of that playing Halo 4. In particular the Didact wants the fight because it proves his notion of superiority where honor doesn't even cross his thoughts let alone plans.

What that guy said. Beat me to the punch.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By artelinarose

Maybe I have just spent too much time in various forms of media and I pick up weird character cues, I don't know. I probably don't know what I'm talking about and am just making myself look like a complete idiot again.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cirdain

@cirdain: Pssssh, laserbolts is just being mean. On the other hand, our Halo 4 space Iran fan fiction is deep and brilliant satire, the likes of which the world has never before seen.

Have you ever read the Galactic Cafe blog. It's the developer of The Stanley Parable: HD Remix and the blog is hilarious! http://www.galactic-cafe.com/2013/05/stanley-parable-dev-showcase-pressure/

No Caption Provided

"See how I got all excited and acted as though I was going to use Smithy's idea?

That's because I did. It's in the game.

It's a great idea.

I'm not going to turn down great ideas." - Davey Wreden

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BisonHero

@cirdain: Haha, that blog post is pretty great.

Man, I never got around to playing The Stanley Parable when there was all that talk about it. Think I should just wait for the updated version coming to Steam?

(This is the weirdest conversation to be having in a thread about Halo 4 multiplayer balance)

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AlmostSwedish

Man, I never got around to playing The Stanley Parable when there was all that talk about it. Think I should just wait for the updated version coming to Steam?

(This is the weirdest conversation to be having in a thread about Halo 4 multiplayer balance)

I think the new one is going to be quite different. Maybe not in tone, but certainly in content. So yeah, give it a shot. It's amazing.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artemesia: Eh, I was only tangentially aware of any background information on the Didact and I had no trouble following the story. Going to Waypoint after finishing the game and watching the terminal videos filled in details, but again, I didn't need any of that information to keep up with the plot while playing the game. Maybe I absorbed more information than I realized I had, being a pretty big fan of Halo, but I never read any of the books past Ghosts of Onyx and only barely followed development of Halo 4.

From what I can tell, there are just as many people who had trouble following the story as there are people who didn't, so maybe the plot could have been handled somewhat better, I don't know. I still enjoyed it well enough. But then, I'm also one of those weirdos who had no problem with the Covenant being involved, so what do I know.

On topic (sort of): I've never played Halo 4 multiplayer because nobody I know plays Halo anymore (much to my disappointment), and there is nothing more boring to me than playing multiplayer with nobody to talk to. And I don't trust strangers in video games to be civil anymore, so I'm not going to engage with them if I don't have to.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I'm going to say wait because the literary style is so unique and unexpected the first time you discover it. But apart from discovering how amazing that is the games will be quite different. There will be so much more happening with the new one that it will still be a unique game even if you've play the mod. So if you you want to, yeah play it. It's 40 mins long if you fuck around in circles, 25-30 if you're not insane. http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-stanley-parable/downloads

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By EXTomar

The more I think about the more we need dogs in motion capture suits up in space for that game. That or Halo 5 needs to be a direct rip off of Aladdin 3: The King of Thieves.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I have just spent too much time in various forms of media and I pick up weird character cues, I don't know. I probably don't know what I'm talking about and am just making myself look like a complete idiot again.

No, you've got it more or less correct.

And to everyone who keeps saying that everyone acted like they already knew who the bad guy was, you weren't paying attention. When he shows up all the Covenant are repeating "Didact" over and over again, so that's what Cortana and everyone else decides to call him. And his little speech and the fact that he starts attacking humans gives them pretty much all they need to know about him to know where he stands.

The complaints about hiding most of the story inside books and stuff was far more of an issue in Halo 1 and 2. Halo 2 makes no fucking sense at all if you haven't read First Strike.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

The more I think about the more we need dogs in motion capture suits up in space for that game. That or Halo 5 needs to be a direct rip off of Aladdin 3: The King of Thieves.

Only if they recreate this scene precisely with Cortana clones.

Loading Video...

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be pedantic, I believe most are complaining the story is nonsense along with not actually being in the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still no Halo 3 :(

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bigjeffrey

I'm glad they admitted they fucked up in not keeping the story closed to only video game.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Video_Game_King

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.