Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 4

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 05, 2012

The first game in the second saga of the Halo sci-fi series has the Master Chief awakening from cryostasis as he explores the mysterious Forerunner shield world Requiem, fights a newly-formed Covenant group, and accidentally awakens an ancient evil.

Holy crap, Halo 4 is looking visually amazing.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By big_jon
    No Caption Provided

This is Confirmed to be in game.

On five year old tech? The atmosphere in this shot is amazing.

How do they pull this stuff off? I though it was a load of BS when a 343 employee said Halo 4 would be the best looking 360 game ever, but damn, this might top Gears 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Looks like Halo.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Bloom.  

Also, Cortana the sex doll.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wacomole

Impressive how they've rendered all the little short hairs on the guy's head and the light coming through the blinds on the left is quite good.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By phrali

it's a screenshot.

shows nothing about framerate, pop-in, screen tearing etc, so you can't really make any kind of judgment about it.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By big_jon

@phrali: Aside from the fact that it looks really good, and Halo has always had a pretty standard 30FPS and no pop in since Halo 2 so...

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By owack6

@big_jon said:

@phrali: Aside from the fact that it looks really good, and Halo has always had a pretty standard 30FPS and no pop in since Halo 2 so...

It's being developed by a whole new company who knows what they will or wont do with it.

And ye its a screen shot of a screen shot, play Witcher 2 on PC.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owack6 said:

@big_jon said:

It's being developed by a whole new company who knows what they will or wont do with it.

343 has a lot of former Bungie alumni if I remember correctly, and isn't the creative director one of the leads of Halo 3? Or am I off base? Even if it was a completely new and fresh team with new and fresh ideas, Microsoft isn't going to even let them deviate greatly from the formula. Halo 4 will play a lot like previous games.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By theoldhouse

useless thread

I mean that looks nice but really nothing we haven't seen before.

nothing worth discussing anyhow.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By big_jon

@allworkandlowpay said:

@owack6 said:

@big_jon said:

343 has a lot of former Bungie alumni if I remember correctly, and isn't the creative director one of the leads of Halo 3? Or am I off base? Even if it was a completely new and fresh team with new and fresh ideas, Microsoft isn't going to even let them deviate greatly from the formula. Halo 4 will play a lot like previous games.

It will also have been built on a four year cycle with more people on the team than any previous Halo game, meaning more assets, more man hours, more brain power, if nothing else, it will look good.

@theoldhouse said:

useless thread

I mean that looks nice but really nothing we haven't seen before.

nothing worth discussing anyhow.

Don't like the thread? Don't enter and don't reply.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_jon said:

\

Aside from the fact that if Cortana was not in the shot that you probably wouldn't guess it was Halo. It looks more like Deadspace, of even Crysis in a lot of ways which is a pretty huge change from the past Halo games. They are pulling off some terrific atmosphere and there has never been an environment in Halo that looked like that.

So forgive if the token "looks like Halo" comment annoys me, it think it is just trolling when people do that, who would have guessed that a game would look like what it is?

I actually didn't even notice Cortana in there til you mentioned it in this post. It looks like Halo, it just has that Halo look and glow. I can't judge atmosphere from one overhead screengrab. Honestly, it doesn't look any different to me than the atmosphere from the Covenant interior in Halo 2. Overuse of bloom doesn't make something atmospheric.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By big_jon

@allworkandlowpay said:

@big_jon said:

\

Aside from the fact that if Cortana was not in the shot that you probably wouldn't guess it was Halo. It looks more like Deadspace, of even Crysis in a lot of ways which is a pretty huge change from the past Halo games. They are pulling off some terrific atmosphere and there has never been an environment in Halo that looked like that.

So forgive if the token "looks like Halo" comment annoys me, it think it is just trolling when people do that, who would have guessed that a game would look like what it is?

I actually didn't even notice Cortana in there til you mentioned it in this post. It looks like Halo, it just has that Halo look and glow. I can't judge atmosphere from one overhead screengrab. Honestly, it doesn't look any different to me than the atmosphere from the Covenant interior in Halo 2. Overuse of bloom doesn't make something atmospheric.

Atmospheric is a subjective term, but if the only thing you can pick out of that screen is "Overuse of bloom" you have no attention to detail, that shot looks amazing, the lighting, the fog, reflections, everything. This is 6 year old hardware are you really too jaded too be impressed by that? It is just a screen, but it is a very promising one.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Sambambo

You sound like a Halo fanboy.

Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Alexandru

I'm amused at how defensive big_jon is.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By big_jon

@SuperSambo said:

haha, thanks. You sound like a fourteen year old on game FAQs. ;D

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sambambo

@big_jon said:

@SuperSambo said:

haha, thanks. You sound like a fourteen year old on game FAQs. ;D

@Alexandru said:

I'm amused at how defensive big_jon is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_jon: You can't tell attention to detail from an overhead view from a camera phone.

It looks alright, don't get me wrong, but it's not blowing my mind. It just looks like a slightly bloomier Halo. I'd prefer the subtle lighting of Halo 3 personally, the desert sequences were absolutely beautiful.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By korwin

@big_jon: The Xbox is almost 7years old... not 5, and really the thing was spec locked about 8 years ago.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By spazmaster666

It's hard to tell from that screenshot if the game will run at full HD resolution. No matter how many "tricks" they use, the 360 hardware has a limit on what it can render on screen while also maintaining a solid framerate. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being the best looking 360 game. I mean, from the look of things, this is going to be one of the last big 360 exclusies before the next gen consoles arrive.

EvilKatarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EvilKatarn

Honestly I see nothing remotely amazing on that picture. First off, it's a photo taken off a TV, so it's going to look way shinier and also gives you no idea of how much aliasing is going on. It also makes the textures look sharper. Then there isn't much going on in that scene. It's a corridor with some stilted cylinders thrown in there. Most of the complexity in that scene might be coming from the use of bump- or specmaps which in this day and age are not interesting at all. Finally you just seem enamored with the shining going on in there.

I'm not saying Halo 4 will look bad, but this picture is not a sufficient basis for calling it amazing.

You can however go ahead and call me a 14 year old idiot because I'm not seeing whatever it is you're seeing.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

Yeah, I read that someone actually mistook it for next gen. I'm excited and it does look pretty good if only for a screen shot. All you have to do is Google search Halo 4 though and you can get some in-game footage. Like this one. This may be old though.

No Caption Provided

Or you can view it here.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hitchenson

@NTM: That's clearly not "touched up", what being a 1920x1080 screen with no aliasing. The 360 would set ablaze running that.

Bloom is shit as well.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By mordukai

Halo 4 on 4 discs confirmed? :P

Joking aside, looks really nice. I just hope they tune down the bloom. My eyes still get sore from remembering playing through Halo 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks nice - better than Reach - which it should considering Bungie used a modified Halo 3 engine for Reach (which was also the first full-new Halo game Bungie made that didn't run on a new engine) whereas 343i is using a brand new engine.

If I remember correctly 343i have confirmed that the game will run in native 720p and that is should be steady at 30FPS.

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By SpecTackle

How the hell can you judge visual quality from an off-screen picture like this? It looks like a dark corridor in a video game. That's as far as it's worth taking.

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Poppduder

Holy crap, you guys sure do act like little bitches. I hardly post in the forums because of the behavior that is evident in thus thread. The thread was meant to show off an impressive, obviously in game screen that we havnt seen before. It IS impressive. Calling someone a halo fanboy is pointless and accomplishes nothing but making you look like a hater. If you think it "looks like halo" you're adding nothing as well. Shouldn't it look like fucking halo? It hardly does, at that. For Christ's sake how immature are we TRYING to be?

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By big_jon

@Village_Guy said:

It looks nice - better than Reach - which it should considering Bungie used a modified Halo 3 engine for Reach (which was also the first full-new Halo game Bungie made that didn't run on a new engine) whereas 343i is using a brand new engine.

If I remember correctly 343i have confirmed that the game will run in native 720p and that is should be steady at 30FPS.

Halo 4 is still running on the same engine as Bungie built, but as always it's modified.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By nintendoeats

@Poppduder: In defense of Giant Bomb, this thread is so bad that I'm about to flag it.

Seriously guys, we're better than this.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Karl_Boss

How about we wipe the whole first page out and start clean.

SarjuTheRapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SarjuTheRapper

holy shit this thread is intense. op, keepin it real like gamecop

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By supamon

Looks good but will reserve judgement till i see it in motion. I'm a fan of the Halo series so here's hoping 343 does the franchise and Bungie justice.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

@big_jon said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

@big_jon said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

@big_jon said:

@allworkandlowpay: Thanks for the useless post.

Thanks for the useless thread.

Without elaboration that is a load, don't be a douche for the sake of doing it.

You started it. I just stated a fact: It looks like Halo. A bloomy Halo which we really can't derive any sense of quality or technical merit from this over the shoulder camera phone shot. Sorry dude, IT LOOKS LIKE HALO.

Without Cortana in shot, I'd have still guessed Halo. You can see the little HUD crap at the top.

And besides, don't be a douche for the sake of doing it.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By laserbolts

I agree it does look pretty good but too bad i'm done with Halo.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BraveToaster

I that there was going to be a video.

Is that a control room at the end of the hallway?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Brendan

Ehh sorry, a photo of a screenshot isn't enough to go on. I'm sure the game will look fine.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

It would be bad enough if you posted a screenshot. But a picture of someone looking at a screenshot? Wow.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By big_jon

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

It would be bad enough if you posted a screenshot. But a picture of someone looking at a screenshot? Wow.

If you click on the shot it is actually quite high rez, the game looks really nice, it is as simple as that, sorry if I offended you by being optimistic and excited.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By EXTomar

We've seen a bunch of beautiful looking games that were junk. I'm not saying that Halo 4 is crap but it is hardly unique or special to see an action game that looks great. Instead I'll be more interested in how it plays.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Lighting looks like a huge improvement from Reach. Hopefully the campaign is more engaging like the original 3 games (even ODST). Reach felt like more of a 7 hour long game of Firefight to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can do a ton of incredible things with lighting. More than anything, good lighting can *cheaply* set the tone and atmosphere for a game, where the performance cost for rendering polygons and plastering textures on them is prohibitive in comparison.

Five year old tech can still look good when you have good artists pushing visual trickery with it.

MrSlapHappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By MrSlapHappy

I am not really surprised that Halo looks amazing. Halo has always been Microsoft's parade pony for the Xbox. Also, it had better be the best looking 360 game ever, its a first party release at the end of the cycle. Will it run at 30 fps AND still be the best looking 360 game ever, now that I have my doubts about.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AlexW00d

If low res textures and excessive bloom means visually amazing, I am glad I don't use that 360 I bought.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43  Edited By Sackmanjones

It does look nice (given its a screenshot of a screenshot), but its definitely not gonna blow anything out of the water. 

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By trace

I was in the midst of deleting posts that violated the rules in this thread, but it's getting to the point where I'd be removing a huge portion of the comments, and for a testy conversation over a single cell phone picture, it's simply not worth it.

You're indeed better than this, Giant Bomb users.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.