Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Combat Evolved

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Nov 15, 2001

One of the launch titles of the original Xbox, Halo: Combat Evolved is a sci-fi first-person shooter telling the tale of an advanced cybernetic super-soldier known as the "Master Chief".

A honorable tribute or a cheap cash-in?

greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By greenygrey

It hasn't been released yet, but we know what to expect. It's basically graphically overhauled version of the original with a few new added features, such as terminals, skulls, and online co-op. The core gameplay still remains very much the same however, and some fans are either displeased or happy with that.

What do you think? is this a honest to goodness treat for fans or cynical marketing explotation of a popular franchise?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Barrock

I think it's something that a very large portion of the fanbase wanted to see happen and it's great that they did it. Would it have been better on the next console? Maybe.

tsiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tsiro

I really think that it's a nice tribute. As far as I'm concerned, the actual game itself still holds up very well, so it'll be nice to see it with a new coat of paint (so to speak).

But really, who am I kidding. It would have to be pretty skeezy and crappy for me to not buy it.

Avatar image for starfishhunter9
    Starfishhunter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Starfishhunter9

@Barrock said:

I think it's something that a very large portion of the fanbase wanted to see happen and it's great that they did it. Would it have been better on the next console? Maybe.

Should of been the on the next Xbox. One generation is too short for a graphical remake.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

How about "a graphical update to an important FPS"?

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Karl_Boss

I'm pretty excited for it.....and the fact that they are selling it for $40 instead of full price says to me that its not just a cheap cash in.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Andorski

It's a product to make money. Rarely are games made for any other reason.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By matthias2437

If it was an honorable tribute it would be coming out on PC as well.

greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By greenygrey

@Andorski said:

It's a product to make money. Rarely are games made for any other reason.

True, but it's not the sole intentions of almost every developer.

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
    WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WrinklyDinosaur

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

I'm pretty excited for it.....and the fact that they are selling it for $40 instead of full price says to me that its not just a cheap cash in.

I am really quite proud that they are selling it not for the standard full price... it gives me a good feeling even though I know I'll never buy it

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Samaritan

$40 price-point, smart changes to an existing multiplayer to cater to the feel of Halo: CE's combat in lieu of multiplayer support, a handful of recreated fan favorite maps including the obscure but classic Timberland, remastered audio and music with the ability to change back to the original audio and graphics? I'm going to say loving, if not honorable tribute.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By big_jon

@Captain_Felafel said:

$40 price-point, smart changes to an existing multiplayer to cater to the feel of Halo: CE's combat in lieu of multiplayer support, a handful of recreated fan favorite maps including the obscure but classic Timberland, remastered audio and music with the ability to change back to the original audio and graphics? I'm going to say loving, if not honorable tribute.

this

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Slaker117

I am a huge Halo fan, and this is exactly what I wanted.

GameOverGreggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GameOverGreggy

It's definatly more than just a cash in. It looks like they are putting serious care into this project with the fans in mind.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By redbliss

I am really looking forward to picking the game up. It looks like the game still retains the feel that Halo 1 had instead of being done up with the Reach engine, which is a good thing. I prefer the feel of the later Halo games, but it will be nice to play through Halo 1 again with reskined environments and have it feel pretty much as it did when it came out.

My only hope is that 343 is able to do the same thing with Halo 2 before MS comes out with a new console because it would be nice to have the original Bungie games all on the 360.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Halo 1 needed online play.

This is a good thing.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Shadow

Both. 343 legitimately loves the series. Microsoft legitimately loves money though, so they're responsible for making them develop the thing in the first place.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DonPixel

@greenygrey said:

It hasn't been released yet, but we know what to expect. It's basically graphically overhauled version of the original with a few new added features, such as terminals, skulls, and online co-op. The core gameplay still remains very much the same however, and some fans are either displeased or happy with that.

What do you think? is this a honest to goodness treat for fans or cynical marketing explotation of a popular franchise?

Some young people and Halo veterans as well might get the chance to play it with a visual rehaul I think that's ok.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Hizang

Enough time has passed for this to be justified, there are a bunch of people like myself that never played it.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno, I've never been a big fan of the "HD re-release" thing, but some people really seem to like it. More power to them I guess.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EmuLeader

I think its a nice tribute. Its what I have wanted for quite a while. The only thing I wish was different is the fact you can't play original Halo CE multiplayer online. I used to used to play it online when it was out on the xbox through a third party site and it was a blast. I want the feel of the original game without having to LAN. The remakes going into Reach is still great. I just wish the original MP was there online as well.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Video_Game_King said:

How about "a graphical update to an important FPS"?

I'm gonna go with this. Do you realize that in the next few years there are going to be TEENAGERS who won't remember Halo 1? That's kind of fucked up, if you ask me. I enjoyed the game immensely when I bought it on the PC and it's not an exaggeration to say that Halo: CE was vital in bringing gaming into the forefront of the media industry and secure FPS's as the biggest genre at the moment.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm happy about this. I'm sure I'll buy it.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BestUsernameEver

When Sony does it with ICO, its all hail sony, wow thanks for up resing a classic sony! When Microsoft does it, how dare they up res a classic and try to charge for it again!

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#25  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm a big Halo fan and I do get a slight sense of 343 trying to make a cash-in here but overall I'm pretty happy with what they're planning to put out here. I think I'd be unhappy if they were offering it as a full priced game or weren't trying to develop a new Halo while they developed this one, but considering the quality of the game at this price it looks like a good deal.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By time allen

they've definitely swayed me. i'm still not sold completely on the idea of remaking shit but i get the impression that 343 actually give a fuck about halo.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Red12b

cashin

LongMasterWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LongMasterWolf

Its looking like a great game, I can't wait for it to come out.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By MEATBALL

Can you really call a game where the developers have gone to lengths to improve the visuals significantly whilst also maintaining the option to play the game in its original form a "cheap cash-in"? Microsoft are releasing the game to make money, but that's generally why videogames are released.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#30  Edited By Sooperspy

Looks like they are definitely trying to please the fans with it. If it was a cash in then they probably would've just upped the graphics, but they added competitive online and online coop, skulls, switching between old and new graphics on the fly, etc.

I know I will be getting it, if not first day, then soon after.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greenygrey said:

and some fans are either displeased or happy with that.

You mean everything EVER?

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#32  Edited By Daneian

I think that its great that the game has been updated to the standards of the more recent Halo releases, but I'm not sure that is the celebration of the original release it could have been. Features like deleted areas or developer commentary from Frankie and Jason Jones might have really put it over the edge,

TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By TheBlackPigeon

@BestUsernameEver said:

When Sony does it with ICO, its all hail sony, wow thanks for up resing a classic sony! When Microsoft does it, how dare they up res a classic and try to charge for it again!

You also could have said "When Capcom does it, how dare they up res a classic and try to charge for it again!", since it's trendy to hate on Capcom at the moment.

As for the OP, I'm fine with what 343 is doing here, and I plan to pick it up when I run into some extra cash.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thing is, you buy halo anniversary on amazon, its essentially 30$. 40$ with a 10$ credit to buy anything else from amazon. Everything I've seen, it is looking fairly great though. Looks more like the amazing colorful and detailed look of halo 3, instead of the muddy and overly soft look of halo reach. I'd say if you have the pc version, I'd wait for anniversary to go down to 20$ or so. The pc version looks leaps and bounds better than the xbox version.

Now if only halo 2 got a half way decent version on something other than the original xbox.... That pc port was horrendous.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By Enigma777

It's a lot better than slapping some HD textures and bumping it up to 720p like the other guys are doing. Either way, I'll take what I can get. 

greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By greenygrey

@DonPixel said:

@greenygrey said:

It's a remake of one of the best games ever made show some respect, Also some young people and Halo veterans as well might get the chance to play it with a visual rehaul what's wrong with that?

Plus I don't the see the Marketing exploitation as no one is forcing you to buy it.

Eeerrr... I'm just asking, and I'm not taking any sides on the main question. I'm on neutral ground.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DonPixel

@greenygrey said:

Eeerrr... I'm just asking, and I'm not taking any sides on the main question. I'm on neutral ground.

Yeah sorry kinda miss red some stuff, I'll edit my post.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MikkaQ

It's kind of a cheap cash in by definition. Pretty much any Halo game since 3 was. Especially now that Bungie doesn't have any involvement with the series.

Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
    ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

Way more than a cash in. It looks pretty amazing. The work must have been extensive.

greenygrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By greenygrey

@DonPixel said:

@greenygrey said:

Yeah, sorry kinda miss red some stuff I'll edit that post.

Apology accepted.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ozzdog12

@Shadow said:

Both. 343 legitimately loves the series. Microsoft legitimately loves money though, so they're responsible for making them develop the thing in the first place.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By jakob187

@Barrock said:

It's on this generation because of the 10th anniversary.

@President_Barackbar: It's a bit more than an "HD re-release". It's the Reach graphics engine, reworked multiplayer, and a pretty nifty way of distributing the game: retail disc with all the content, or just buy the map pack for $15 through Halo: Reach. Best of either world IMO.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By napalm

I never played original Halo, and judging where first-person shooters have gone, I'm interested in a throwback.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#45  Edited By JTB123

Honourable tribute, although I wouldn't have said no to somekind of enhanced version where they added some stuff like being able to board enemy vehicles and tighter aiming controls, I forgot how floaty the aiming felt in CE. Still a great experience though, and there is a nostalgia grenade around every corner.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By ProfessorEss

I'm not personally interested but I think the game was important enough, the time passed has been long enough, and the job has been done well enough to consider this an honourable tribute.

...despite being an HD remake which by default qualifies it as a cheap cash-in :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.