Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Combat Evolved

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Nov 15, 2001

One of the launch titles of the original Xbox, Halo: Combat Evolved is a sci-fi first-person shooter telling the tale of an advanced cybernetic super-soldier known as the "Master Chief".

SPV3: A Fan-made Remake Of Halo: Combat Evolved

HildaTilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm sort of new here, so forgive me if this first post is a bit sloppy, but I just wanted to put the word out about this awesome Halo PC mod that just released today. For anyone not familiar with Halo PC, there was a version of the game called "Halo: Custom Edition" released way back in 2004. This version of the game has no singleplayer by default, but allows for the use of modded maps in multiplayer. Over the years a group called the Custom Mapping Team (CMT) have put out a number of popular maps, and now a group within CMT has put out something really brilliant.

SPV3 stands for Singleplayer Version 3, and is CMT's attempt at completely remaking the original Halo. It's not just a simple reskin either, it's practically a whole new game. They've added in content that was cut from several Halo games, as well as weapons/enemies/mechanics from later Halo games. Ever wanted to play through the original Halo fighting Brutes and piloting Anti-Air Wraiths? Ever wish you had ODSTs with you? Want to use weapons from the later games? SPV3 has it all and more. But as LeVar Burton told us, you don't have to take my word for it!

That trailer should give a pretty good idea of what you're in for. The mod incorporates features from all of Bungie's Halo games, as well as quite a few original additions. You can check out the same channel as the video above(the channel of the SPV3 team lead) for more gameplay from the mod. You probably noticed that it's only the first half of the game, and there are 2 versions of Silent Cartographer. The Silent Cartographer: Evolved was a map released earlier in the year by a different group within CMT, and for much of that group it was their final map. It's packed in as a bonus with SPV3, but isn't a part of the actual campaign. The rest of the game will be releasing at a later date, but what's on offer here is substantial. Having just played up through the opening of Truth and Reconciliation, I can tell you the levels are significantly longer than the originals. Pillar of Autumn and Halo both felt at least twice as long, and there's even some new voice acting!

Honestly, I could go on forever about how cool this mod is, but you can just try it yourself! You can find download links and more info at their official subreddit here. It does require a CD key for the PC version of Halo, but lucky for you new copies are just $20 on Amazon! Everything else, you'll find on the subreddit. I highly recommend this mod to any fans of the older Halo games. Hell, I'd even recommend it if you've never touched Halo at all! This is shaping up as the definitive way to experience the original Halo (in my opinion anyways), and it's a shame more people don't know about it!

Either way, I think the release of this mod is plenty of reason to Unseal The Hushed Casket once again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.