Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Combat Evolved

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Nov 15, 2001

One of the launch titles of the original Xbox, Halo: Combat Evolved is a sci-fi first-person shooter telling the tale of an advanced cybernetic super-soldier known as the "Master Chief".

WOW! They seem to have done a great job with the remaster.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Masha2932

Gamespot's Now Playing has a great 30 min play-through of the game and I'm really impressed. The Retro graphics toggle button seems to work well allowing one to switch between remastered and classic Halo on the fly. The newer graphics are really evident when the guy switches it back to back and the new version looks great with detailed textures. Another cool feature in the video is you can change between the classic soundtrack and the re-recorded soundtrack form the menu. This seems like a great remaster and hopefully we can get more HD collections with the toggle button and this much love shown. Hopefully the game plays as well as it looks. 

So what do you guys think about the remaster effort and will you be getting the game next week?  

Personally I would have loved more extras like behind the scenes videos on the creation of the original and the new version, clips from the Halo Fest at PAX 2011, documentaries on the influence of Halo on gaming, interviews with developers, journalists and fans etc. Other than that the game looks great and I can't wait to play it again.
    GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GTCknight

This is now an example to every other dev. This is how you make a remake!

Unless it fails, then wasted time that's what this will all come down to.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By FritzDude

Yes, it's nice to see that they focused on making a good remake instead of just upscaling it to HD with little care to make extra money. Take notes developers.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By big_jon

I look forward to it.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By samfo

I hope they do a halo 2, but I doubt it.

Edit: Here's the quick look on giantbomb.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By bkbroiler

I just want to say how completely happy I am with the remastered graphics. It's a bit cliched to say, but they have completely captured the spirit of the original game, while improving almost every aspect of the look of it. I go into a new area with the new graphics on, thinking it looks pretty good and basically how I remember it. Then I switch to the classic graphics and scream in horror at the lack of foliage, the flat, bland texture covering everything, and the lack of detail. E-gads! What a great job 343 did. Can't wait to see what they do with Halo 4.

Avatar image for deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc
    deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

my only problem with it is just the terminals and skulls are less challenging to find than in 3

I mean there's one terminal lying in a dark tunnel, with a flashing yellow light, it's like the dev afraid if nobody finds it or something...

other than that it's great: same game I played 10 years ago, with waaaaaaaaaaay better graphics, and the better graphics part ain't just upscaling the textures like those hd collection of resident evil/devil may cry!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.