Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Beating Legendary levels for 4000 pts... worth it?

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By jack_daniels

I've beaten the game on legendary already and have tried to do a few of these. But they can be so maddening. You have to play so slowly, dieing is so easy. I get killed by fluke shit, like random grenade toss or enemies getting spawned behing me. Do you guys do these challenges? Is there a trick to this crap?

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Samaritan

Winter Contingency, yes. Anything else? No. As someone who recently beat the campaign on Legendary, and then beat Winter Contingency on Legendary without dying for the challenge, I never want to repeat that for more difficult, more varied levels.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Azteck
    @Progn0sticator said:
    Winter Contingency on Legendary without dying for the challenge, I never want to repeat that for more difficult, more varied levels. "
    Least I got was 7 deaths. How did you do it?
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By BraveToaster

I don't even bother playing Legendary.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Samaritan
    @Azteck: First thing's first, remember there's no time limit, some of my Elite encounters lasted 4 or 5 minutes cause that's what it takes. Don't do anything remotely "risky", always be safe. Second, and more importantly, let your squad pull their weight. Something people don't give Reach enough credit for is how helpful your squad actually is. I let my squad do most of the leg work and they took out about half of the enemies on screen for me. Lastly, when and if you get to the end of the level, attempt to snipe the sword Elite from where Jorge is, cause 9 times out of 10, its AI won't trigger and he'll just stand there and take the shots until he dies. Then just grab his sword and kill the other elite.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShaneDev

Winter Contingency is very easy to do without dieing I did it twice, but the rest are quite hard although I did do   Nightfall earlier today in the campaign co op playlist without dieing so I got that 4000 cr.

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jack_daniels
    @Progn0sticator:  Seems to me that in the same time it takes to get that 4000 pts, I can play enough swat to get 4000 pts in the same time frame...
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By natetodamax

I could probably get 4000 points through multiplayer matches faster than I would beating Nightfall on Legendary without dying. So no.

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jack_daniels
    @natetodamax said:
    " I could probably get 4000 points through multiplayer matches faster than I would beating Nightfall on Legendary without dying. So no. "
    this.
    vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#10  Edited By vager

I did Winter Contingency and ONI: Sword Base solo.  
    Winter Contingency is easy. You just need to watching out for that fucking banshee shooting those Fuel Rod bolts at that closing door.
    ONI can be smooth sailing if you can jack a Wraith and bring the Gauss Warthog to the Hunters. 

Nightfall is hella hard. I don't think I can do that one solo. 
    I could probably stealth kill my way through it, if it wasn't for Jun following me everywhere.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By DoctorWelch

I usually do the challenges, but beating Oni on Legendary without dieing wasnt worth the time. I beat the game solo on Legendary, but asking me not to die is insanity. They need to tweak their challenge system a little bit because they had another 4000 credit challenge which was only "kill 400 enemies in any mode". Killing 400 enemies is probably 100 times easier than beating Oni on Legendary but they are worth the same amount of credits, it's pretty weird.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Teran

Most people just exploit a loop hole in the system.  Play the level like you normally would, dying as needed... and when you get to the final checkpoint before the level ends, save and quit the level.  Choose to resume, finish the last checkpoint without dying and end the level.  The game forgets any previous deaths.  You must play the level from the beginning though, no starting up on the second waypoint.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Jackel2072

i almost beat Night Fall today, but made one mistake at the end and didnt really feel like starting over. challenges that are not worth doing are ones under 1000. anything under 1000 just go play a round of score attack or versus.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@Jack_Daniels: Campaign has matchmaking now, you can team up, good luck finding someone that will play all the way through, and good luck finding someone that will play on Legendary.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Teran
    @Jackel2072:   I don't understand your comment.  You said challenges are not worth doing if they're under 1000 but the challenge we are talking about in this thread is worth 4000.  Please clarify :)
    rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rawrz
    @Azteck:  beating Winter Contingency without dying is rather easy, just skip all the battles you dont have to fight. You can practically bypass all the beginning battles by just sprinting the right side of the map until you get down to the truck, then defend the marines, get on the falcon, get to the drop off and then rush into that little room and wait for Kat to close the door. The just make sure to kill the concussion rifle elite in the back to make life easier, kill all the others, take a plasma pistol and pick off that sword elite and the other elite, with the plasma pistol/dmr combo and there you beat the level without dying.
    wubb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By wubb
    @Progn0sticator said:
    " Winter Contingency, yes. Anything else? No. As someone who recently beat the campaign on Legendary, and then beat Winter Contingency on Legendary without dying for the challenge, I never want to repeat that for more difficult, more varied levels. "
    My thoughts exactly.    Winter Contingency is pretty easy and it's a reasonably quick play-through.  None of the battles until the final one are that difficult and if you can nail the sword elite with the noob combo you have it in the bag.  When I played it for the challenge, I manged to kill the first of the final two elites before he retreats.

Even with the glitch Teran mentions, I just don't feel like spending 40+ minutes playing through a campaign mission on Legendary.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Teran
    @Azteck:  Do a youtube serch for 'winter contingency no death' and you should get 20 or so video guides on how to do it.  Basically you run past every fight except the one you evac the marines with and the ones outside and inside the com facility.  On the fights you don't run past you just use common sense and good judgment.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.