Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Halo Reach Co-op can't be played on 4GB Slims

nintendoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By nintendoll
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

LULZ? 

That's definitely messed up.  I wonder why that's happening.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

That... sucks...

Prolix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Prolix

Welcome to mycrosoft.  lol  

Great way to get people to buy shit.

nintendoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nintendoll

It's really weird, since the multiplayer works fine...how can you have a working multiplayer but not co-op? I don't know enough about games/memory/technology in general to know :/

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RE_Player1

That sucks. I was thinking about picking up a 4GB model but if this is an example of what's to come than no thank you. 

Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Inf225

Thats pretty lame, I don't see how anything in reach could cache 4gbs, the disc itself is capped it 6.8gbs

rockaholica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rockaholica

If the article is accurate the worst part is that 16GB of USB storage would not help...that's more usable space than you get out of the O.G. 20GB 360 HDD

nintendoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nintendoll

Also, if you bought a copy in the UK you're extra screwed, as the Slim hard drives don't go on sale until the end of the month. 

Gives you enough time to play through the single player campaign I guess.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Mighty

Why would you only have a 4GB Anything?
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

That is fucked.

baron_calamity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By baron_calamity

A patch better be coming. Atleast allow the use of USB drives.
    SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SoylentGreen
    @baron_calamity said:

" A patch better be coming. Atleast allow the use of USB drives. "

@Rockaholica said:

" If the article is accurate the worst part is that 16GB of USB storage would not help...that's more usable space than you get out of the O.G. 20GB 360 HDD "

I think the limiting factor there might be the data transfer rate on USB 2.0, not the amount of space available.

Still, this is shitty. Was this ever a problem with Halo 3 and the old Arcades?
    rockaholica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rockaholica
    @SoylentGreen: I boot servers off usb flash based storage so it cant be that bad :)
    SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SoylentGreen
    @Rockaholica: No offense, but continuously caching environment data, any and all art assets in the area the player is in, scripts, and whatever else a game might feel like caching is a bit different than booting a server. A boot only happens once every while and can take as long as it needs to; a game needs to store/retrieve data thousands of times a second.
    R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By R3Qui4M

I know why, 4GB console reads the 4gb as memory unit. Halo Reach requires a xbox 360 hdd for theatre fileshare and coop. I'm getting screwed cuz i have a arcade with 16gb usb drive, and that doesn't work as a hard drive in halo 3, odst and reach. Please take this bungie attention i've already posted a couple of times i hope they fix it

Ford_Prefect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ford_Prefect

Major bummer.

nintendoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nintendoll

They could have at least put a note on the box saying that some features require the HDD. :/

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Jeffsekai

I'm pretty sure Burnout needed a hard drive to play online as well.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#20  Edited By wefwefasdf

Ouch. That is pretty sucky. Hopefully Bungie will get a patch out for it soon.

Sn1PeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sn1PeR

I'm fairly sure ODST was the same way.  I do agree that a USB drive should have worked -- I'm surprised that it doesn't.  With that said if you are in the market for a new xbox you really should get one with a big hard drive -- installing your games is the way to go for silent gameplay.

Helushune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Helushune
    @Sn1PeR said:
    "I'm fairly sure ODST was the same way.  I do agree that a USB drive should have worked -- I'm surprised that it doesn't.  With that said if you are in the market for a new xbox you really should get one with a big hard drive -- installing your games is the way to go for silent gameplay. "

It's a much bigger security risk to have cache files sit on a USB drive that can be removed and decrypted than to have it stored on a hard drive.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By AndrewB
    @Helushune said:
    " @Sn1PeR said:
    "I'm fairly sure ODST was the same way.  I do agree that a USB drive should have worked -- I'm surprised that it doesn't.  With that said if you are in the market for a new xbox you really should get one with a big hard drive -- installing your games is the way to go for silent gameplay. "
    It's a much bigger security risk to have cache files sit on a USB drive that can be removed and decrypted than to have it stored on a hard drive. "
    And again: USB 2.0 speeds are pathetic. Not enough for the game to run properly.
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By spazmaster666
    @Helushune said:
    It's a much bigger security risk to have cache files sit on a USB drive that can be removed and decrypted than to have it stored on a hard drive. "
    That would make sense, except for the fact you can install games to USB drives as well. I would think that would be more of a security risk than cache files. ;)
    Helushune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Helushune
    @spazmaster666 said:
    " @Helushune said:
    That would make sense, except for the fact you can install games to USB drives as well. I would think that would be more of a security risk than cache files. ;) "

Not really.  Installed games don't give people who manage to decrypt the files a method of editing values that would be read by the game in a later state.  Saving cached files to a drive that can be removed, decrypted, edited, then put back in is an insanely easier way to hack a game and potentially expose buffer overflows.  And, like AndrewB said, USB 2.0 speeds suck compared to a SATA connection.
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Daveyo520

This makes no sense.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AndrewB

And you're kidding yourself if you don't think that hackers wouldn't just open up their drives and hook them up to a PC to do their hacking in the first place. The hard drive in any 360 is just a 2.5" drive; the same as you'd find in or buy for any laptop. That information is one broken warranty and one bit of software away from anyone wanting to get at the installed game files stored on them.

Anyway, I'd like to see some actual investigative journalism on this one. Microsoft's stance (that they're "looking into the issue") makes it seem like an actual bug. Sounds like it was like that in ODST too, so it could very well be an actual limitation of the game engine. If that's the case, I'd like to hear the technical reasoning why. I'm interested in stuff like this.

Helushune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Helushune
    @AndrewB said:
    "And you're kidding yourself if you don't think that hackers wouldn't just open up their drives and hook them up to a PC to do their hacking in the first place. The hard drive in any 360 is just a 2.5" drive; the same as you'd find in or buy for any laptop. That information is one broken warranty and one bit of software away from anyone wanting to get at the installed game files stored on them. Anyway, I'd like to see some actual investigative journalism on this one. Microsoft's stance (that they're "looking into the issue") makes it seem like an actual bug. Sounds like it was like that in ODST too, so it could very well be an actual limitation of the game engine. If that's the case, I'd like to hear the technical reasoning why. I'm interested in stuff like this. "

It's sad because I know why but I can't say.  =P
    JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JoeyIA

Why didn't they just mark this on the box?  I just looked at my Xbox 360 games and some of them get very specific like, how much free space you need to save, if its 720p or 1080p etc.  To me, the shitty thing isn't that you need a HDD for co-op, its that they should have just labeled the box as such to inform people but didn't.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.