Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Halo Reach Initial Reactions

jimmah7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Edited By jimmah7

I just finished the third level. I don't know if this is a personal error or not, but the worst thing I've experienced so far are the cut scenes.  They are very laggy and pixel-y as hell.  The gameplay and story seem to be going well though.  I didn't know how to melee for about half an hour and kept smashing the B button until I pushed the RB out of curiosity. Then I discovered the button layout had changed completely. Maybe I should have leafed through that instruction manual.  Also, personally I find that pushing the LB to spring is incredibly annoying, but I understand the limitations of the controller.  After playing so much Call of Duty Black Ops lately I also found myself wanting to crouch all the god damn time.  These are petty personal gripes though and the game seems to be shaping up to be fun. Looking forward to the rest. 

jimmah7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jimmah7

I just finished the third level. I don't know if this is a personal error or not, but the worst thing I've experienced so far are the cut scenes.  They are very laggy and pixel-y as hell.  The gameplay and story seem to be going well though.  I didn't know how to melee for about half an hour and kept smashing the B button until I pushed the RB out of curiosity. Then I discovered the button layout had changed completely. Maybe I should have leafed through that instruction manual.  Also, personally I find that pushing the LB to spring is incredibly annoying, but I understand the limitations of the controller.  After playing so much Call of Duty Black Ops lately I also found myself wanting to crouch all the god damn time.  These are petty personal gripes though and the game seems to be shaping up to be fun. Looking forward to the rest. 

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @jimmah7 said:
    " I just finished the third level. I don't know if this is a personal error or not, but the worst thing I've experienced so far are the cut scenes.  They are very laggy and pixel-y as hell.  The gameplay and story seem to be going well though.  I didn't know how to melee for about half an hour and kept smashing the B button until I pushed the RB out of curiosity. Then I discovered the button layout had changed completely. Maybe I should have leafed through that instruction manual.  Also, personally I find that pushing the LB to spring is incredibly annoying, but I understand the limitations of the controller.  After playing so much Call of Duty Black Ops lately I also found myself wanting to crouch all the god damn time.  These are petty personal gripes though and the game seems to be shaping up to be fun. Looking forward to the rest.  "
    They explain all the controls at the start of the game. I never had issues with cutscenes. Not pixely at all. Might be your TV. 
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Some scenes loaded a little later then others, showing ugly textures for a small time but nothing major.

Also be sure to check out the different control settings they have (including a image showing button uses) in the options screen.
    I went with Recon, which is kinda what all previous Halo's were like.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

If you don't like the control options you can change between them in the start menu. Also, while the cutscenes don't always have a perfect frame rate you shouldn't be experiencing any lag or pixelation, it sounds like that may be an issue with your A/V setup.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Gamer_152 said:
    " If you don't like the control options you can change between them in the start menu. Also, while the cutscenes don't always have a perfect frame rate you shouldn't be experiencing any lag or pixelation, it sounds like that may be an issue with your A/V setup. "
    What Gamer said. There are occasional frame rate drops but nothing major. Complaining about controls isn't really fair either considering how many different controller schemes they offer.
    jimmah7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jimmah7

To everyone: I did add the caveat that these were all personal gripes. I understand that I had the option ro change the controller scheme. This isn't my first rodeo.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Ramone

I think I changed the controls to Recon as they seemed the closest to what I was used to from older editions. I never noticed horribly laggy or pixelated cutscenes though.

wubb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By wubb

Having AAs assigned to LB is key so you can aim while jetpacking.  Reach's scheme is very similar to Halo 3's bumper jumper, just with AA assigned to LB instead of jump.   I do miss being able to strafe/aim/jump/shoot without moving any fingers.

I don't play much COD, but I'm sure I'd have a lot of Halo habits causing annoyances with that game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.