Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Halo: Reach Level Cap Could Be Bumped In November

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

It takes a monstrous effort to reach the level cap in Halo: Reach, but some power users have already managed to obtain the prestigious elite rank of Lieutenant Colonel Grade Three. For these users, level progression has stopped, and the world has become a terrible, no-good, rotten place. As grim as it is, there is light. Bungie has plans to bump the level cap and add new gear within the next couple of weeks, but hilariously, it'll be because normal folks like us completed some challenges in an estimated amount of time.

In the latest Bungie Weekly Update (via MTV), Bungie says it will increase the level cap only after Reach players collectively hit the studio's milestone of 117 million daily and weekly challenges completed. Sounds like that'll take forever, right? Perhaps not. In the post, it's noted that Bungie's engineers expect this to happen as early as this November. 

No Caption Provided

"Well, I do know that when you do cross the 117 Million mark, we’ll celebrate by blowing the lid off the level cap! In the immediate aftermath, new ranks and armor will be made magically available for you inside The Armory, provided you have the rank and credits required," the post reads. "Time to get to work!" 

Time to get to work, indeed. If only dying and getting teabagged after the fact ever counted toward your level...
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

It takes a monstrous effort to reach the level cap in Halo: Reach, but some power users have already managed to obtain the prestigious elite rank of Lieutenant Colonel Grade Three. For these users, level progression has stopped, and the world has become a terrible, no-good, rotten place. As grim as it is, there is light. Bungie has plans to bump the level cap and add new gear within the next couple of weeks, but hilariously, it'll be because normal folks like us completed some challenges in an estimated amount of time.

In the latest Bungie Weekly Update (via MTV), Bungie says it will increase the level cap only after Reach players collectively hit the studio's milestone of 117 million daily and weekly challenges completed. Sounds like that'll take forever, right? Perhaps not. In the post, it's noted that Bungie's engineers expect this to happen as early as this November. 

No Caption Provided

"Well, I do know that when you do cross the 117 Million mark, we’ll celebrate by blowing the lid off the level cap! In the immediate aftermath, new ranks and armor will be made magically available for you inside The Armory, provided you have the rank and credits required," the post reads. "Time to get to work!" 

Time to get to work, indeed. If only dying and getting teabagged after the fact ever counted toward your level...
    TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TheJohn

I AM UNSCREWOVERABLE!

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Baillie

God damn it, I was trying to screw you over, TheJohn.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By ToxicAntidote

No rush, really. I'm still at captain 3, halfway to Major.

Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Riddell

Gaining levels in Reach is no joke. I must admit though, the daily/weekly challenges are a brilliant idea, prompting me to do things I wouldn't normally.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Bollard
    @Riddell said:
    " Gaining levels in Reach is no joke. I must admit though, the daily/weekly challenges are a brilliant idea, prompting me to do things I wouldn't normally. "
    jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By jack_daniels
    @MythDarK said:

" No rush, really. I'm still at captain 3, halfway to Major. "

I just hit major yesterday lol Whats funny is that when I play 
    Lieutenant Colonel Grade Three's they kind of suck. Most of the probably just did easy stuff to get that high. Rank in Halo three has NOTHING to do with skill.
    cultofweaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cultofweaver

The challenges are a great idea, but too often they've been reduced to just "kill a bunch of dudes today" type stuff. While the staying alive in Firefight one was a little obnoxious in practice, in theory that is the type of stuff I'd like to see more of.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#9  Edited By sammo21

I need to jump back into REACH.  Such a good mp experience.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Cool, I was hoping this kind of support would be given to the game, this is awesome. Considering how early this is already happening, hopefully it means every once and a while, they will do it again? At least with armor I hope.

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By fillmoejoe

117 million? All I can think of is Barry Zito's contract. Both simply ridiculous.

BlinkinCard41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BlinkinCard41

I'm almost to the cap. I just hit Lt. Colonel a few days ago. It should only be a few weeks at this rate till I max out Lt. Colonel Grade 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

reach has lvls?

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FritzDude

Oh, i thought Halo was a sci-fi Fps game, not an RPG. Go figure.

Moody_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Moody_yeti

kind of a given this was gonna happen?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Levels, ranks, same shit, different name.
    But enough difference to attract a horde of smart asses it would seem.

I can't wait, the Commando helm looks ace, only downside will be everyone using it to show of their LEETLEVELZSKILLZ.
    Back to the CQC helm :(

Springfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Springfart

dowant

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By warchief

its not really a level cap more like a level dam. 

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#19  Edited By jaqen_hghar

Never really played Halo MP until now. The whole "buying armor pieces with credits" really made me want to play MP, and it turns out to be super fun. All the teabagging notwithstanding. And because it is so fun I am trying to do at least one Daily Challenge a day, when I am playing. Which I have to now since I want to be ranked in the Second Season of the Arena.

DUFFMCWALIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DUFFMCWALIN
    @fillmoejoe said:
    " 117 million? All I can think of is Barry Zito's contract. Both simply ridiculous. "
    LOL i completely agree
    mcdrew77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By mcdrew77

If people have reached the cap already all this means is that people have a little too much free time on their hands. I love playing games but everything should be in moderation. Maybe they could turn off the xbox, go outside, and donate some time at the local soup kitchen.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Afroman269

Damn people need to chill with going up ranks like that. Even with more spare time, it still takes me hella long to go up just one rank.

JackColt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JackColt

The challenges have been getting more, well, challenging lately. Which is good. They were kind of ridiculous to start with. 

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Zereta said:
    " @Double0hFor said:
    " why even put a cap to begin with? fucking tards "
    To keep people playing? Like, I don't know, duh? "
    Bungie gave an official explanation on their weekly update post a while back - supposedly the level cap is in place in case people found out a way to exploit the system and break it early after release. 
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DoctorWelch

This is so stupid why Bungie would have even put a cap in there. I barely play Reach much at all and I am almost at the level cap. I simply do most of the challenges each day so I would say I play about an hour or so a day if that. Once you get past Warrent Officer you shoot up sooooo incredibly fast it's ridiculous. If you got the game when it came out and have played it pretty regularly, you will have already made it there and then some. Usually around half, if not more, of the people that I find in a game are at Lieutenant Colonel grade something. I think it was really stupid for them to put a cap on it to begin with because they are fucking over the people that have played their game regularly. A big part of leveling is your commendations, but if you keep playing the game and earning commendations once you hit the cap than your flushing xp right down the toilet. That, or Bungie is going to have to apply all those credits to the levels that they will eventually release, which also takes a lot of the fun out of trying to rank up and seeing the next symbol and armor pieces you unlock. Basically, Bungie has screwed themselves into a corner that could have been completely avoided if they would have just put everything in there to begin with. There isnt a single logical explanation you can come up with to explain why they would do that unless they were trying to be greedy bastards and charge you for some kind of DLC that lets you level up further, and that's obviously not the case. It would be like not letting people prestige in COD until they put a free patch out, it just doesn't make any sense. The whole "Community milestone blah blah blah" is so stupid and nonsensical that it doesnt actually count as a logical explanation for the cap.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#26  Edited By Brackynews

If they wanted to curb teabagging, every time you crouched a piece of armor would fall off.
    "Don't droppy that floppy."

Dixperiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dixperiken
    @DoctorWelch: People make mistakes dude... 
    They obviously thought that no one would hit the cap that quickly. Miscalculations are easy to do.
    quaker297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By quaker297

level 2 here never played too much mp

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rawrz

Nice. Im close to hitting Lieutenant Colonol legit no boosting so its nice to see that by the time I finally hit Lt. Col. Grade 3 there may be no cap or at least a much higher cap for me to work towards.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Green_Incarnate

I'm almost to lieutenant. This is perfect timing. 

Kyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Kyu

it's about time!

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Panpipe

Played the shit out of this game this afternoon. Won every single game apart from one towards the end. Not to say I was any good though, came out with a negative kill/death. I wish that didn't bother me.    

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DoctorWelch
    @Dixperiken said:
    " @DoctorWelch: People make mistakes dude... They obviously thought that no one would hit the cap that quickly. Miscalculations are easy to do. "
    I agree, but it seems a little more planned out than that.
    Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Turtlemayor333

I was Bungie's biggest fan for a long time and I even got a lot of enjoyment out of ODST but Reach was a trade in as of two weeks ago. Both the carrot AND the stick of Reach suck. I found myself playing the games not because it was fun in any way but to do these completely unimaginative challenges (which repeat themselves every three days) and get rank. And all for some slightly more crooked looking shoulder pads? 

The whole system is bizarre. I wish the focus would have gone into making the game fun and balanced.

Verit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Verit
    @Jack_Daniels said:
    " @MythDarK said:

" No rush, really. I'm still at captain 3, halfway to Major. "

I just hit major yesterday lol Whats funny is that when I play  Lieutenant Colonel Grade Three's they kind of suck. Most of the probably just did easy stuff to get that high. Rank in Halo three has NOTHING to do with skill. "

A lot of the LCG3s got their ranks due to a shit ton of Gruntpocalypse matches. In score attack in matchmaking, you can do a firefight mode all by yourself and you can choose gruntpocalypse again and again. I think they may have changed it now but you use to be able to get like easily 1500+ per game, which usually lasts 15 mins at most. That could average to around 6000+ credits per hour. I didn't take my 360 with me to college but I came back home one weekend and went from Warrant Officer grade 2 5% in to Warrant Officer grade 3 20% in less than a few hours. God forbid you had challenges that specified killing a specific number of enemies or you got accolades for "x amount of kills with y" or "x amount of y's earned".
    skinnyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By skinnyman
    @DoctorWelch said:
    "That, or Bungie is going to have to apply all those credits to the levels that they will eventually release, which also takes a lot of the fun out of trying to rank up and seeing the next symbol and armor pieces you unlock."
    They have already said this is what will happen. Don't see why the delay would make it any less fun either. If it does for you, then stop doing all the challenges (it's not like they are fun to do anyway) and just play multiplayer.
    nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By nemt

I wish the Army would bump my level cap.
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DoctorWelch
    @skinnyman said:
    " @DoctorWelch said:
    "That, or Bungie is going to have to apply all those credits to the levels that they will eventually release, which also takes a lot of the fun out of trying to rank up and seeing the next symbol and armor pieces you unlock."
    They have already said this is what will happen. Don't see why the delay would make it any less fun either. If it does for you, then stop doing all the challenges (it's not like they are fun to do anyway) and just play multiplayer. "
    I typed a huge response that accidentally got deleted, so I am just going to say that I already explained why either way it sucks. Now it's as if Lieutenant Colonel Grade 3 is the longest rank in the game and the more you level, the more stuff you are skipping until the patch comes out and then you just rank past everything until you get to the rank you should be if this stupid restriction didnt exist. It's completely pointless and there is no logic to explain why they wouldnt just let you level up regularly. Also, I'm not sure what you are talking about with the challenges. I was talking about commendations (which you gain whether you are playing firefight, campaign, or matchmaking), and only because I wasnt sure if you were still ranking up, but now I know you are. I never said anything about the challenges not being fun, or whatever you were getting at, so I am not exactly sure what to say about that.
    vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#39  Edited By vigorousjammer
    @Zereta said:
    " @Double0hFor said:
    " why even put a cap to begin with? fucking tards "
    To keep people playing? Like, I don't know, duh? "
    wouldn't that be the reason to NOT have a cap?
    I'd keep playing if I could keep gaining levels, not if I STOP gaining levels...
    EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By EightBitShik

I haven't hit the cap yet but I'm nigher then 99% of my friends so far. It's a shame there are so many cheaters out there that ruin it. 

Keavy_Rain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Keavy_Rain
    @nemt said:
    " I wish the Army would bump my level cap. "
    If only it were as easy IRL as it is in-game, amirite?
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TwoOneFive

anybody who has reached that cap already has NO LIFE...

at all. 

nothing.

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
    deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet, more power fo me!
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By wrighteous86
    Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

If only it was as quick as Battlefield Bad Company 2's progression...

CrescentFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CrescentFresh

Rank of Captain here I come!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.