Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Halo Reach. The credit it deserves.

ZacBoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ZacBoon

Watching a lot of the top tens and listening to the recent pod casts, I have noticed that Halo Reach really isn't getting the credit that it deserves. Now I know a lot of people will just say " It's just another Halo game." But that's what makes it amazing. Also this is probably the Halo game that has gone the furthest from it's roots in terms of game play and game play mechanics. 

So I'm obviously not expecting Reach to get GOTY from GiantBomb but it is far from a bad game and should get the credit it deserves.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jack268

Getting a runners up position for best multiplayer game of the year is more than it deserves seeing as bad company 2 didn't get one.

ZacBoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ZacBoon
    @Jack268: 
    No offence man but BC 2's multiplayer was no where near as good as Halo's I do believe that BC's was much better then Blops though.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @ZacBoon said:
    " @Jack268:  No offence man but BC 2's multiplayer was no where near as good as Halo's I do believe that BC's was much better then Blops though. "
    And I think BFBC2 was better then halo reaches multiplayer.  

Reach did not get the award. Stop whining about it. 
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho

Its not better than the games that go higher on the list. Doesn't mean its not good. Doesn't mean only 3 games were good this year. Calm down.

cgoodno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By cgoodno
    @ZacBoon said:
    " Watching a lot of the top tens and listening to the recent pod casts, I have noticed that Halo Reach really isn't getting the credit that it deserves. Now I know a lot of people will just say " It's just another Halo game." But that's what makes it amazing. Also this is probably the Halo game that has gone the furthest from it's roots in terms of game play and game play mechanics.   So I'm obviously not expecting Reach to get GOTY from GiantBomb but it is far from a bad game and should get the credit it deserves. "
    Not really, IMHO.  Halo: Reach is a great game when you put everything together, but it doesn't excel in any single area other than online gameplay.  And, if the collection of very high quality games from this year weren't so plentiful this year, it would have gotten a lot more recognition for what it is, but that doesn't mean it's a lesser game than what it's been rated as.  It's just a really big year for big games; and it's looking like next year will be similar.
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By rjaylee
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @cgoodno: Next year will be smaller?   
    Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3, Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, the Witcher 2, Arkham City, The Elder Scrolls V, Star Wars: Old Republic, Forza 4, L.A. Noire, Deus Ex 3, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3... 

I loved Reach, but I think the bigger problem is that people are just getting tired of FPS, especially Halo and CoD.  It's all been done by this point and neither Reach nor Black Ops really did anything impressive or stand out.  I definitely don't think either were entitled to any awards.  (except perhaps best original music score for Halo).
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By toowalrus
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @heatDrive88 said:
    "
    "
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By BraveToaster

People have different opinions from yours. Halo is just another Halo game and  that's what makes it so unworthy. It's a decent game, but nothing really stood out compared to the rest of the games released this year.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By penguindust
    @heatDrive88:  Ha-ha. Truth. 

And from another contributor:

"you cockmuncher"

Ha-ha-ha, ah.  GB at its finest. 

I liked Halo Reach well enough.  I liked Battlefield Bad Company 2 more.  I only played the single-player campaign of both.  Awards are fun to talk about but have no real value.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AlexW00d
    @WinterSnowblind: He said similar, not smaller. 

Honestly, if it isn't getting any sort of recognition from anyone then it shouldn't deserve it? If you like it, then you like it, doesn't mean everyone should put it on a pedestal. Also Best Xbox Game of 2010 is more than enough of an accolade.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I feel like the game has been largely overlooked as well. It was by no means a revolutionary FPS but it wasn't trying to be and I don't think you can judge a game on what it's not, only what it is. What Halo: Reach was trying to do was create a definitive Halo experience and at that task I think Bungie excelled.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By crunchUK

Funnily enough, it has been Forza 3 and not Halo Reach that has been occupying my disk tray for most of the time, until recently when 2 things happened... first I bought the maps, and they were unbelievably superior to the ones on disk, perhaps even suspiciously so. The second thing that happened was that I played Black Ops, which made me realize how much I liked Halo. It's SO GOOD when you know what's actually going on as opposed to everyone running around mindlessly until they find someone unawares in a miscellaneous room to shoot  or playing sniper hide and seek. Reach is just so much more sophisticated - You can logically PLAN all your actions and use TEAMWORK. Some actual thought went into the design of the maps, but more importantly you always know what the outcome of what you do will be.  

The difference can be summed up quite easily - In Reach, instead of deciding to perch on a nice vantage point only to have a bunch of people spawn behind you and stab you in the back (or not), you decide to perch on a nice vantage vantage point and then fight to control it. Slot machines and poker.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gizmo
    @crunchUK said:
    " Funnily enough, it has been Forza 3 and not Halo Reach that has been occupying my disk tray for most of the time, until recently when 2 things happened... first I bought the maps, and they were unbelievably superior to the ones on disk, perhaps even suspiciously so. The second thing that happened was that I played Black Ops, which made me realize how much I liked Halo. It's SO GOOD when you know what's actually going on as opposed to everyone running around mindlessly until they find someone unawares in a miscellaneous room to shoot  or playing sniper hide and seek. Reach is just so much more sophisticated - You can logically PLAN all your actions and use TEAMWORK. Some actual thought went into the design of the maps, but more importantly you always know what the outcome of what you do will be.   The difference can be summed up quite easily - In Reach, instead of deciding to perch on a nice vantage point only to have a bunch of people spawn behind you and stab you in the back (or not), you decide to perch on a nice vantage vantage point and then fight to control it. Slot machines and poker. "
    And in Bad Company 2, you can blow up the vantage point.  

Enough said, really.
    stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By stinky
    @PenguinDust said:
     Awards are fun to talk about but have no real value. "

this is what i wish people would understand. 
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Slaker117

I fucking love Halo: Reach. It's awesome. It is by far the game I put the most time into this year.

That being said, it doesn't really deserve that much GotY buzz. It's great, but it's great in the same way all Halo games have been. It's the most complete, but nothing new or special. If you're into Halo, play it, love it, and let the awards be. This end of year stuff is more meant to highlight what's shiny and new, not tried and true.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By crunchUK
    @Gizmo said:
    " @crunchUK said:
    " Funnily enough, it has been Forza 3 and not Halo Reach that has been occupying my disk tray for most of the time, until recently when 2 things happened... first I bought the maps, and they were unbelievably superior to the ones on disk, perhaps even suspiciously so. The second thing that happened was that I played Black Ops, which made me realize how much I liked Halo. It's SO GOOD when you know what's actually going on as opposed to everyone running around mindlessly until they find someone unawares in a miscellaneous room to shoot  or playing sniper hide and seek. Reach is just so much more sophisticated - You can logically PLAN all your actions and use TEAMWORK. Some actual thought went into the design of the maps, but more importantly you always know what the outcome of what you do will be.   The difference can be summed up quite easily - In Reach, instead of deciding to perch on a nice vantage point only to have a bunch of people spawn behind you and stab you in the back (or not), you decide to perch on a nice vantage vantage point and then fight to control it. Slot machines and poker. "
    And in Bad Company 2, you can blow up the vantage point.   Enough said, really. "
    you couldn't really though. Maybe the wall in front of it.
    mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mikeeegeee
    @Gizmo said:
    " @crunchUK said:
    And in Bad Company 2, you can blow up the vantage point.   Enough said, really. "
    Truth. This whole topic really isn't something to argue. We were blessed with two wildly different and incredibly fun multiplayer experiences this year in Reach and BC2. I'm a giant fan of both games, and I still play both actively. Award season brings out the worst in people, I swear.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @ZacBoon said:
    " @Jack268:  No offence man but BC 2's multiplayer was no where near as good as Halo's I do believe that BC's was much better then Blops though. "
    BFBC2 has the best multiplayer in any FPS.
    cgoodno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cgoodno
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @cgoodno: Next year will be smaller?   Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3, Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, the Witcher 2, Arkham City, The Elder Scrolls V, Star Wars: Old Republic, Forza 4, L.A. Noire, Deus Ex 3, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3...  I loved Reach, but I think the bigger problem is that people are just getting tired of FPS, especially Halo and CoD.  It's all been done by this point and neither Reach nor Black Ops really did anything impressive or stand out.  I definitely don't think either were entitled to any awards.  (except perhaps best original music score for Halo). "
    Reread what I typed.  I said it will be similar.  Not smaller.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jimbo
    @cgoodno said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @cgoodno: Next year will be smaller?   Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3, Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, the Witcher 2, Arkham City, The Elder Scrolls V, Star Wars: Old Republic, Forza 4, L.A. Noire, Deus Ex 3, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3...  I loved Reach, but I think the bigger problem is that people are just getting tired of FPS, especially Halo and CoD.  It's all been done by this point and neither Reach nor Black Ops really did anything impressive or stand out.  I definitely don't think either were entitled to any awards.  (except perhaps best original music score for Halo). "
    Reread what I typed.  I said it will be similar.  Not smaller. "
    WTF does the Silmarillion have to do with any of this??
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By EpicSteve

"Survive"

That was crazy.

Helushune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Helushune
    @Jimbo: Elves, sir.  Elves.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jimbo
    @Helushune said:
    " @Jimbo: Elves, sir.  Elves. "
    Ah, shelves.  Now it all makes sense.
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By gamb1t
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @ZacBoon said:
    BFBC2 has the best multiplayer in any FPS. "
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By big_jon
    @ZacBoon said:
    Is that a fact? BC 2 had an amazing multiplayer, in no way is does Reach have a better one just because you say so. Reach was a very good game and consitering that GB are not big Halo fans it got much praise. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@EpicSteve said:
    " "Survive"  That was crazy. "
    Fuck yeah, it was! 

There were a lot of great things about Reach. I mean, a lot of great things about Reach. But I really can't fault people for having Halo fatigue. It's the sequel the original game has deserved (and hasn't received) all this time, but it's too little, too late for the franchise in a lot of respects. More important games with fresher conceptual designs stole the show this year.  

People know Halo is great. I mean, people in the industry come to understand unconsciously the gravitational aspects the very word "Halo" evokes, kind of the way the original Matrix is held nonpareil. But other games this year did some radical things, and they should be rewarded for that. 
    Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Tesla

It's one of my top games of the year.  Just another Halo game with a coat of Bungie polish is still better than 95% of games that get released in a given year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.