Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

I Started the Halo: Reach Campaign Last Night...wtf?!

Skywarpgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By Skywarpgold

Let me just start off by saying that the original Doom came out when I was in college, and I'd already cut my teeth on Wolfenstein 3D and The Terminator before that in middle and high school. Basically what I'm trying to say is, I was pretty well versed with the FPS genre by the time the first Halo game came out. Even though I beat it in a day, for some reason, I did not enjoy it in the least. I think that the main problem was that FPS's had gotten way too "serious" for me by then, so I took a break. A LONG break. It wasn't until Borderlands came out, that I really got into another FPS since that first Halo. I absolutely love Borderlands.

Anyway, I happened to get a free copy of Halo: Reach via a promotion yesterday, so I popped it in before bed. Immediately I could see that there have been tons of improvements since the first game, and while I was quite rusty, I was having a very fun time in matchmaking. Then I started the campaign...The VERY first thing you find out when the dialog starts is that your character is replacing a valued member of an existing strike squad. The commander of the team then goes on to stress the fact that the squad is a "TEAM" and that no "lone wolf" behavior would be tolerated. Great, I played Republic Commando, I know how to work with a team! 

So we get down to Reach, and the squad takes off, so I follow. When we got to the very first building, I took up a defensive position outside with the rest of the squad to cover our six (you are referred to as "Number 6" after all), while the commander ran inside. He even said, "I'm going to check inside." After about 30 seconds of nothing happening, I started to realize something was wrong. I ran around the squad for a couple of minutes, to see if any of them would say anything to me, maybe give me a clue as to what the deal was. Not a peep. That's when I noticed the commander's dot on the radar moving back and forth. I ran over to him, expecting something, since he was clearly impatiently pacing. Again, nothing. It wasn't until I ran PASSED the commander that things triggered, and the game progressed.

I was quite taken aback. The preceding minutes had included a fantastic tutorial that told me all I needed to know about controlling things in the Haloverse. So imagine my surprise when, in a day and age where seemingly every game is holding your hand through every little thing, one of the most popular and biggest selling games out there fails to even give you an indicator arrow of where to go, when you're clearly lallygagging about doing nothing. It continued this way for a good 20 minutes. I had to take the lead of a squad I had just joined after being told to be part of the group. It wasn't until after that extra 20 minutes, that the commander finally told me to "take point."

Don't get me wrong, I was having fun after that initial mishap, but it's hard to respect a game that fails to respect its own story integrity within the first ten minutes!

Give me Borderlands 2! At least that's clearly about one thing, and one thing only: the loot!
    Skywarpgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Skywarpgold

Let me just start off by saying that the original Doom came out when I was in college, and I'd already cut my teeth on Wolfenstein 3D and The Terminator before that in middle and high school. Basically what I'm trying to say is, I was pretty well versed with the FPS genre by the time the first Halo game came out. Even though I beat it in a day, for some reason, I did not enjoy it in the least. I think that the main problem was that FPS's had gotten way too "serious" for me by then, so I took a break. A LONG break. It wasn't until Borderlands came out, that I really got into another FPS since that first Halo. I absolutely love Borderlands.

Anyway, I happened to get a free copy of Halo: Reach via a promotion yesterday, so I popped it in before bed. Immediately I could see that there have been tons of improvements since the first game, and while I was quite rusty, I was having a very fun time in matchmaking. Then I started the campaign...The VERY first thing you find out when the dialog starts is that your character is replacing a valued member of an existing strike squad. The commander of the team then goes on to stress the fact that the squad is a "TEAM" and that no "lone wolf" behavior would be tolerated. Great, I played Republic Commando, I know how to work with a team! 

So we get down to Reach, and the squad takes off, so I follow. When we got to the very first building, I took up a defensive position outside with the rest of the squad to cover our six (you are referred to as "Number 6" after all), while the commander ran inside. He even said, "I'm going to check inside." After about 30 seconds of nothing happening, I started to realize something was wrong. I ran around the squad for a couple of minutes, to see if any of them would say anything to me, maybe give me a clue as to what the deal was. Not a peep. That's when I noticed the commander's dot on the radar moving back and forth. I ran over to him, expecting something, since he was clearly impatiently pacing. Again, nothing. It wasn't until I ran PASSED the commander that things triggered, and the game progressed.

I was quite taken aback. The preceding minutes had included a fantastic tutorial that told me all I needed to know about controlling things in the Haloverse. So imagine my surprise when, in a day and age where seemingly every game is holding your hand through every little thing, one of the most popular and biggest selling games out there fails to even give you an indicator arrow of where to go, when you're clearly lallygagging about doing nothing. It continued this way for a good 20 minutes. I had to take the lead of a squad I had just joined after being told to be part of the group. It wasn't until after that extra 20 minutes, that the commander finally told me to "take point."

Don't get me wrong, I was having fun after that initial mishap, but it's hard to respect a game that fails to respect its own story integrity within the first ten minutes!

Give me Borderlands 2! At least that's clearly about one thing, and one thing only: the loot!
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EuanDewar
    @Skywarpgold said:
    "Don't get me wrong, I was having fun after that initial mishap, but it's hard to respect a game that fails to respect its own story integrity within the first ten minutes!"
    Never play Heavy Rain.
    Skywarpgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Skywarpgold
    @EuanDewar: lol! Heavy Rain had more issues than just story integrity...and don't get me started on Dragon Age 2.....
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By iDarktread

Yeah, video games aren't that great.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Your squad is not very useful. Regardless I really enjoyed the campaign of Reach.
    AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AlmostSwedish

Yeah, I have the feeling that you're approching the game from the wrong angle. The squad theme is mostly just a story point, and I can see why you were dissapointed. Hopefully you'll enjoy the rest of the game though. It has a kinda cool story, although it might be hard to relate to and interpret it without bakcground in the Halo series.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mnzy

They don't expect you to be reasonable defensive in shooters nowadays.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By EVO
    @Skywarpgold said:
    " I think that the main problem was that FPS's had gotten way too "serious" for me by then, so I took a break. "
    From the sounds of things, it seems you're the one taking Reach too serious.

That story integrity you speak of is just a thinly veiled excuse to shoot grunts in the face. Squad tactics, defensive positions, taking point etc; forget these. Most kids wouldn't understand such phrases and since Halo is popular with children, it's best you just run n' gun like you have been since Wolfenstein 3D.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By xyzygy
    Reach is not a Ghost Recon game. You don't actually have to act like a SWAT team or anything, your team comes in handy when your shileds are down and you need someplace to take cover. They will just attack them and since they're invincible they're a great distraction if they manage to actually get the enemy's attention. You're definitely stepping into these games the wrong way.
    Skywarpgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Skywarpgold
    @EVO said:

That story integrity you speak of is just a thinly veiled excuse to shoot grunts in the face.

Yeah, I see that now, but when there are these big cinematic intros, loaded with story set up, I would expect the game to actually listen to itself. At least with those older games, there was no pretense.  Wolfenstein 3D was all, "Hitler's bad, get him!" Doom was "oh snap, you fell into hell, get OUT!!!" And heck, Borderlands is pure "go get LOOOOOOOT!"  I totally get what your saying, I was just disappointed after seeing such a cool story intro.

@AlmostSwedish: Thanks! I'm definitely going to see it through.

@xyzygy: I hear ya, and I was all ready to just run and gun when I put the disc in, but when they gave me that set up, I expected to at least be informed by the squad as to what was going on I guess...
    Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Creigz

The thing about Reach is...you're point man. You hear numerous times "Six, you got point." That's just how the game is. You one man army it in a sense, but Noble Team helps you a lot more than most AI in games. 

Side note: Thumbs way fucking up for Republic Commando...one of my favorite games to date for fun story lines.
    beckley205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By beckley205

Have you ever tried to get a marine to fire the chaingun on the warthog on Halo 1? Halo isnt about squad tactics its about running gunning and spamming grenades

Skywarpgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Skywarpgold
    @Creigz: yeah, I guess I must've missed the first time they said it, 'cause I didn't hear it until way later. And yeah, loved me some Republic Commando! 

@beckley205: I didn't think it was, I was just confused when the guy was like, "don't do anything on your own" at the beginning, that's all.
    Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Creigz
    @Skywarpgold: Most people do because of all the action going on. I did the first few times, but then I started listening to the radio more to get an idea of what was going on. They always make the new guy point man, sucks for them since they're usually red shirted...but not this time amirite folks?
    Skywarpgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Skywarpgold
    @Creigz: lol, good point!
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Pibo47
    @EuanDewar said:
    @Skywarpgold said:
    "Don't get me wrong, I was having fun after that initial mishap, but it's hard to respect a game that fails to respect its own story integrity within the first ten minutes!"
    Never play Heavy Rain.
    Haha. Yeah, i was about to say the same exact thing. Heavy Rain is..so...ugh.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.