Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Read "Fall of Reach" now, or wait till after campaign?

Avatar image for skullcrushermountain
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I bought the Fall of Reach novel on my Kindle, and I wanted people's opinions who've read it (and ideally played the campaign, too) whether I should read it now, or wait till after I finish the campaign.  As I understand it, it sort of dovetails with the main campaign, and doesn't really re-tell any specific parts.  Will I enjoy the campaign more having read the novel, or will it just end up disappointing me like reading Watchmen or Kick-Ass and then seeing the movies did?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

It seems to me that other than the fall of Reach itself, the book and game are very different.  The Halo books are good for videogame books, not books as a whole IMO.  Reach, however, seems to be good as a videogame.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

Far as I know, the book and the game are not related. I'm not entirely sure though.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By fjordson
    @SkullcrusherMountain said:

" So I bought the Fall of Reach novel on my Kindle, and I wanted people's opinions who've read it (and ideally played the campaign, too) whether I should read it now, or wait till after I finish the campaign.  As I understand it, it sort of dovetails with the main campaign, and doesn't really re-tell any specific parts.  Will I enjoy the campaign more having read the novel, or will it just end up disappointing me like reading Watchmen or Kick-Ass and then seeing the movies did? "

Go ahead and read it. Unless you really don't know what the "Fall of Reach" in the title means, you're good to go. The book's story focuses on Master Chief, not Noble Team, and a lot of the narrative takes place before the game . It's a great primer for Reach I think, just read it two weeks ago myself. Helps flesh out a lot of details surrounding the game and provides some good back-story on how the conflict on Reach began. Great book.
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By sagesebas
    @SkullcrusherMountain: I'd say wait, if you really like the game go back and read the book. If you don't know the story, the game would probably be the best way to experience, as I have heard the book basically tells the story of what goes on in Reach, so you might not wanna know that story before playing the game
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By jkz
    adummy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By adummy

Read it.  There may be references to the book you wouldn't know without.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By audiosnag

If you has the time maybe read it before. More back story is always good, but yeah as its been pointed out the two plots aren't related aside from both being about Reach so it's not essential.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for skullcrushermountain
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah, okay.  I decided to read it beforehand, and that was a great choice.  I wish I'd have read this novel even before I played the first Halo, it's such a better narrative than the games. 

rhacer63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rhacer63

I've read, I believe, all the Halo novels, and they are a bit spotty as far as book quality goes, but as a Halo back-story they should be required reading for any Halo fan. Fall of Reach is not the best book, but it's not the worst either. I believe Ghosts of Onyx qualifies as great game book and a great book in general. I have no problem with the fact that I know some of the story of Reach from the novel before I played the game. I'm reasonably certain that I would be happy the other way around too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm reading the book while I play the game.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By sins_of_mosin

From what I've read on other sites, the book is more about the history  up to the point of the first Halo game.  I'm about to start the book myself.
    thepastygeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thepastygeek

I just finished the game (without reading the book) and the story isnt nothing to write home about, it's pretty much generic game story telling 101! Dont get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the game, but as far as compelling story goes, go play half life 2 instead!.............Still......what a game! and peeps, dont turn it off during the credits! Bonus shizzle awaits!!

Etaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Etaber

I read the book before the game and I'm glad I did. I'm just a lot more aware of the bigger picture than I would be otherwise.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.