Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

So a month in Halo: Reach loosing its charm

R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By R3Qui4M

As most of you were I was excited about Reach for a very long time. Now a month after the games release, why is that I can't stand the game. I'm thinking about this, because Halo 3 playing it for about 1.5 years it is still very appealing to me. I popped in Halo 3 (first time since the Halo:Reach) last night, matchmaking took forever but once in the game it was so much fun. I think it is just some weird dynamics in Halo: Reach that make it not as fun. Like running and melee, the weird shield pop for the melee, still overpowered grenades. and bloom. These things have been bothering me since the launch, but I assumed it was due to reach being a new game, and me not being familiar with the game. But after a month in I now realize these dynamics are making the game not fun for me. There is some weird uncertainty, when I play reach, not knowing when I guy is going to go into armor lock, or when is going pop a nade, or is he going to run up and melee, or will my bloom kick in and make my shot miss. I don't know, I think I'm done with Halo: Reach. I'll not play for a couple of weeks and then come back to it, and see if I like it any better. If not then selling the game on craigslist.  

I just got a free copy of Fable II from XBL, so that should make it easier for me to pass the time in the mean while. after that Black Ops will be here.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Mrskidders

Inb4 shitstorm.

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By pwnasaurus
    @Mrskidders said:
    " Inb4 shitstorm. "
    forecasting shit storm incoming you made it just in time the rest of us aren't so lucky.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By wefwefasdf

Halo 2>Halo 3>Halo: Reach 
    At least from a multiplayer standpoint.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

I'm slowly losing interest in Halo altogether. 

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Meh. Halo isn't a game that I play nonstop like some other shooters. I need breaks, and I will occasionally go on week long binges where it's all I play. The challenge system makes me want to play constantly, but it's just unrealistic considering it's a Halo game.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DonPixel

ther´s been halo like for 10 years now.. with no major change in game physics and basic design, so i think it is pretty reasonable to be burn out by now

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Evilsbane

*Looks at number of people playing Halo:Reach on the front page* *Leaves Thread*

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lukeweizer

I haven't played it since the week it came out. Neither have any of my friends. Don't even know why I still have it.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ArchScabby

Well you should tighten it back up then, if you don't it might fall off completely!

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

I've stopped playing it like 2 weeks. I'm waiting for Black Ops and Assassin Creed Brotherhood. I'm really looking forward to ACB.
    ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By ptys

I gave up about two weeks in. I think there are just better shooters out there. My favourite is Killzone 2.

@JoeRiccadonna:
    Yeah ACB looks like an awesome change to the multiplayer skill set.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By joeybagad0nutz
    @ptys:
    Not to mention the single player looks awesome too.
    MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MisterChief

Loosing.

reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By reign
    @MisterChief said:
    " Loosing. "
    This. 

Also, I'm in the same boat about the game losing its charm. 

It's not that I think it is a bad game, because I think it's fantastic. It turned out like I had hoped; a decent amount of changes but still retaining that Halo (Halo: CE) feel. The first few weeks were great and extremely fun. 

But I have only played it once in the last couple weeks. I'm decent enough at the game, so it isn't that Im frustrated due to lack of skill, but the game really doesn't have great hooks other than the daily/weekly challenges. 

Sure, the desire to rank up and gain cR are good, but once you realize that armor pieces don't really do much to make you stand out (minus stuff like the EVA helmet that to me is like a "shoot my head" sign), it doesn't make the grind that satisfying. 

That's my big complaint with the game, but there are a few other things that bug me: 
    • Big team battle is fun, but most of the time people absolutely disregard the objective and try to get kills instead (not a fault of the game, but it still exists)
    • Vehicles are really annoying, and are at times too tough to kill (the fact that the ghost protects the drivers body so much from the front is really annoying)
    • Unless I'm playing with at least 2 friends, team objective games are pretty tough due to the fact that people rarely want to work together (again, more a fault with the people, but the objective gametypes are very teamwork oriented)

Rant over. 

I'm really bummed out about this too. I love the Halo world, and I think the game is definitely 8.5 to 9 out of 10 quality.  

Maybe I've just become way too accustomed to the extremely effective carrot-on-a-stick tactics of other games like CoD or even Battlefield. It's a bummer that the carrot in this game just doesn't look as tasty.
    R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By R3Qui4M
    @DonPixel: It is not really burn out of Halo franchise, as I'm Halo 3 now and having a blast. But reach is burning out on me.
    R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By R3Qui4M
    @MisterChief: lol my bad.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jeffsekai

Thats what happens when their is no scrubby XP system like call of duty.

krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By krystians

I like it and will keep it as my primary shooter. I could care less for COD. But then again it's all opinion. You may be loosing interest, but I don't give a damn. I like it so there!

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By captain_clayman

this is probably a game i'd play a bit like every weekend, and have like huge sessions once a month.  if you play it every day you'll get bored of it.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I like Reach in that it gives me way more stuff to do, with or without a group.
    Halo 3 can't hold a freaking candle to that.
    Firefight is ace, the multiplayer is great with the armor abilities (come on, we've been gunning in so many games over the years, we need to shake that shit up) and overall the game feels like a fun adventure, not a stressed out camp race.

I hope they will give us more maps, forge and firefight (combine those two for epic win!) DLC.

R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By R3Qui4M
    @REIGN: Ye definitely, i think Halo 3 ranking system is way more addictive, and better carrot to keep you playing. Arena sucks with inaccurate ratings, and bad gametypes.
    krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By krystians
    @captain_clayman said:
    " this is probably a game i'd play a bit like every weekend, and have like huge sessions once a month.  if you play it every day you'll get bored of it. "
    That is true. Good thing Fallout is out tomorrow so I can shuffle between games.
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Raymayne
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " Halo 2>Halo 3>Halo: Reach  At least from a multiplayer standpoint. "
    lmao god some people are stupid.
    Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Mystyr_E

I just hate Halo multiplayer in general, 2 was fine but ever since, I have less fun with each one

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#26  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Raymayne said:
    " @SpikeSpiegel said:
    lmao god some people are stupid. "
    Sorry for having an opinion, dick.
    reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By reign
    @Raymayne said:
    " @SpikeSpiegel said:
    lmao god some people are stupid. "
    It's stupid to have an opinion? 

Nice job being an inconsiderate asshole.
    Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Sitoxity

I think Reach is going to be the Halo I spent most time with. I enjoyed Halo 3 more than I did 2, but ended up playing more games in 2 than 3. I've played Reach any day I've played video games, and I still really enjoy it. I find the challenges addicting and worthwhile (most of the time, sometimes those rewards are too low.) and I really like the ranking system and amount of customization. The gameplay is what I really enjoy best about Reach and is why I think personally, it's a step up from everything (bar I think Halo: CE). 

I can tottally understand why some people are going to turn away though, for the same reasons anyone turns away from any game after a release. In some games it's a good thing (like Bad Company 2, that first lul had all the whiney CoD jerks crying about the controls and how it's not CoD, then it was fine.) but in a game like Halo, it'll just be a bad thing, because the ones that leave aren't the whiners. :(

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NTM

I played it on legendary, beat it, and been done with it ever since. In between me fiishingthe game through, played a bit of MP with a friend a brother. Yeahhh, done with that game. If they made Halo's on PC I'd probably like to plays those; but nope.
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Aetheldod

After grinding for the EVA helmet I kinda lost interest ... and with costume quest and Fallout coming out , I wont play it as much , I love it tho (except when every one wants to play invasion or safe havens... if you wanna kill zombies there a whole game for that dang it!!!!!)

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    "Halo 2>Halo 3>Halo: Reach  At least from a multiplayer standpoint. "

I'd put it in the complete opposite. 
    The battle rifle ruined both Halo 2 and 3, requiring no skill to use and making every other weapon in the game obsolete. 

Reach is a much more varied game.
    R3Qui4M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By R3Qui4M
    @krystians: lol sure, I really could care less about cod as well, I'm not moving onto to that, I'm just moving back to Halo 3.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#33  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm still loving the game myself.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By zombie2011

Whats with all these threads popping up Nobody cares that you lost interest.

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By christ0phe

I wrote this exact thing 3 days ago, and now today there are like 3 of the same threads

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By audiosnag
    @zombie2011: 
     I like how they both spelled 'losing' wrong.
    ...im really bored.
    Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Djeffers03

I still love the game but god damn armour lock is annoying. I swear over the past couple of weeks EVERYONE has started using it. On a number of occasions I've run into a whole team using armour lock and god-damn you have no idea how annoying it was.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DonPixel
    @Djeffers03 said:
    " I still love the game but god damn armour lock is annoying. I swear over the past couple of weeks EVERYONE has started using it. On a number of occasions I've run into a whole team using armour lock and god-damn you have no idea how annoying it was. "
    It sucks.. problem with those kind of "abilities" in Multiplayer is that eventually everyone finds ther´s one more efective than the others, turning the experience into shit ... I don´t think it was a good idea to put them in the game in the first place. 
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#39  Edited By natetodamax
    @Djeffers03 said:
    " I still love the game but god damn armour lock is annoying. I swear over the past couple of weeks EVERYONE has started using it. On a number of occasions I've run into a whole team using armour lock and god-damn you have no idea how annoying it was. "
    Yes, I have noticed this too. Bunch of cowards who can't defend themselves if you ask me!
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By Fosssil

It's got a fair number of issues (the hideous no-bleed shield mechanic that leads to herp-a-derping, the effectiveness of spamming with the DMR, the terrible frame lag on certain Forge World maps, the broken mess that is Armor Lock, etc.), but even with all of the problems I'm finding it more enjoyable than Halo 3. Being able to actually cross-map someone with the DMR or Needle Rifle is fantastic; the fact that I can realistically kill an opponent from the opposite side of the map makes this game better than Halo 3. The thing that I dislike most about the game currently is the lack of quality ranked playlists. The current Arena formula is a terrible indicator of teamwork and encourages selfish gameplay, and being placed in the Onyx division isn't nearly as satisfying as progressing through the 1-50 rank ladder. Plus, I hate how I can go search for a game in a "Competitive" playlist and get matched with a bunch of guests. 

Aside from those few gripes, I'm enjoying the game immensely.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

It seems your complaining that you can't anticipate the other players attacks.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gizmo

I feel that i'm done with Reach, the same feeling that I got with Red Dead: Redemption.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sitoxity

The only thing I'm getting sick of is how players use Elites in Elite Slayer and Armor Lock. It's getting ridiculous when you get a game full of people using armor lock in the way they do.

Example: Run up to guy, stick, armor lock. Rinse, Repeat. 

It's taking out any fun of those gametypes, which were some of my favorites when played with everything. It's now just who can stick and armor lock the best. Which is really dumb.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.