Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

The Reach Beta Is Spectacular!

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By MistaSparkle

The Halo:Reach beta began today! After downloading the beta (which took about 45-60) I immediately started it up. The beginning is an in-game cinematic of a warthog driving through a battle, and from there it puts you at the title screen. I pressed A and, before even playing my first game, got customized to my liking. Although to attain these various armor sets you must purchase them with the points you receive after completing a game. Having completed zero games, I proceeded to the matchmaking menu. At the matchmaking menu, you can set playing preferences to suit your style of gaming environment. Selecting levels of chatter or picking a specific language with effect who you play with. I left everything as is and began the matchmaking process. Within about 30 seconds I joined a lobby and experienced the first thing that blew my mind during my beta experience. Instead of vetoing maps you have the option to vote on which map and game mode you want to play as. If you still don't like any mode presented, you can vote " none of the above." 

Finally, I began playing. A lot of the new weapons feel odd at first, but you quickly get used to them. The armor abilities also confused me for a while, but I grew to like a few. My favorite would have to be Stalker (Cloaking) and AirBorne (Jet Pack). Sprinting and the blast shield, most of the time, were pretty useless. Cloaking has really unique special effects that really immersed me and made for a cooler experience. First off, cloaking is way more useful and effective than in previous games because now you are practically invisble and usually unseed. Also the radar gets jammed to counteract the awesomeness of the ability and almost all sound is muted, as if you were just stunned in MW2. 

Anyways if you can, you should check out the beta. I've been having a lot of fun with it and can't wait to play again and find out what more Bungie has i store. :)

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MistaSparkle

The Halo:Reach beta began today! After downloading the beta (which took about 45-60) I immediately started it up. The beginning is an in-game cinematic of a warthog driving through a battle, and from there it puts you at the title screen. I pressed A and, before even playing my first game, got customized to my liking. Although to attain these various armor sets you must purchase them with the points you receive after completing a game. Having completed zero games, I proceeded to the matchmaking menu. At the matchmaking menu, you can set playing preferences to suit your style of gaming environment. Selecting levels of chatter or picking a specific language with effect who you play with. I left everything as is and began the matchmaking process. Within about 30 seconds I joined a lobby and experienced the first thing that blew my mind during my beta experience. Instead of vetoing maps you have the option to vote on which map and game mode you want to play as. If you still don't like any mode presented, you can vote " none of the above." 

Finally, I began playing. A lot of the new weapons feel odd at first, but you quickly get used to them. The armor abilities also confused me for a while, but I grew to like a few. My favorite would have to be Stalker (Cloaking) and AirBorne (Jet Pack). Sprinting and the blast shield, most of the time, were pretty useless. Cloaking has really unique special effects that really immersed me and made for a cooler experience. First off, cloaking is way more useful and effective than in previous games because now you are practically invisble and usually unseed. Also the radar gets jammed to counteract the awesomeness of the ability and almost all sound is muted, as if you were just stunned in MW2. 

Anyways if you can, you should check out the beta. I've been having a lot of fun with it and can't wait to play again and find out what more Bungie has i store. :)

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

I am very annoyed with the radar jammer. But so far for me it's fun.

Just got a skullamonjaro over one minute into the game, shit's fun.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By big_jon

It is very good
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By crunchUK

What i like is that it IS still halo at the center, but everything just feels so much more exciting and fun to use. Not only that, but the AAs aren't at all tacked on. Every time i spawn i'm debating which one to use based on what i'm going to be doing. am i capping flags on stockpile? Sprint please.  Am i going to be defending our stock? Armour lock please. Am i going to be laying down DMR fire from up above? Jetpack sounds good.  and so on. It's brilliant.

ooofafa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ooofafa
    @MistaSparkle:  sprinting to me is the most useful, to me at least. the cloak is kinda obnoxious when people just sit in one damn place the whole time. all i really wanted in this halo game was sprint. so thats pretty much all i use
    tbone81889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tbone81889
    @ooofafa said:
    " @MistaSparkle:  sprinting to me is the most useful, to me at least. the cloak is kinda obnoxious when people just sit in one damn place the whole time. all i really wanted in this halo game was sprint. so thats pretty much all i use "
    I hate sword/hammer sprinters so much.  They are the bane of my existence.  
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DystopiaX

sprinting is actually really useful without Grav  hammer/sword as well. I saw a gameplay today of a guy who got a running riot and went 28-3 in a team slayer game using sprint exclusively. On powerhouse slayer, he ran to the rockets immediately then got a triple, ran up and grabbed the focus rifle, then used sprint to avoid fights he couldn't win and to run around and flank the enemy. Jetpack seems to work well for Swordbase to get away from fights on the top level. Cloaking can be useful but mainly for pro gametypes without radar. With radar, they're on alert and can usually spot you.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By JCGamer

For some reason, I am really looking forward to the game.  It probably has to due with the fact that I actually read "Fall of Reach" not too long ago (it was really cheap-my Borders was closing down).  I'm still kind of torn though, because while I have owned and won each Halo game, I never really liked any of them.  I'm mainly a single player dude and I thought the level design always fell apart around the middle of the Halo games.  Glad to hear that you dudes are having fun.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Vinny_Says

It's a good beta, it feels like halo 3 but much more refined, and smoother controls. The sluggishness of Halo 3 really killed the MP for me. The matchmaking and respawns are also much much much better.
    It's not perfect though....people keep on voting for the same 2 gametypes, I have played 15 games and still have only seen 2 maps (there prolly gonna add more gametypes and maps later) and grenade spamming is a problem.

I do love going one on one with someone and locking my armor, then he gets close (waiting to assassinate me) and BOOM my EMP discombobulates him giving me an opening to smack him :)
    (I did it on the same dude 3 times in a row...he rage quit...)

Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Agreed.

Avatar image for justthekicker82
    justthekicker82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By justthekicker82

Agreed!

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By project343

Head over to the Bungie forums, and it's a shitstorm of all sorts of nonsense. With that said, I adore this game. Bungie has made me care about a Halo since Halo: CE. :D

gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By gimmysumcowbel

I only have one problem.  When using bumper jumper the jet pack is kinda useless.  I hate clawing so its really hard for me to use the jet pack, aim, and shoot at the same time.  It would be nice to be able to fully customize the controls but other than that I was having a blast.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MistaSparkle

Im glad most of you are enjoying it as much as i do (or maybe even more!).
    bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By bibledoctor

Wasn't really all that excited about Reach. I was interested and was probably going to purchase it when it was released (or shortly after), but after playing the Beta I have to say I fucking love where this is going. The multiplayer is solid and stable enough to remind me of older Halo games but its new features fresh it up enough so that I don't feel like im playing the same old thing again. And the single player doesn't look that bad either.

I can't wait for Halo: Reach, the Beta is fantastic.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By jmrwacko
    @DystopiaX said:
    " sprinting is actually really useful without Grav  hammer/sword as well. I saw a gameplay today of a guy who got a running riot and went 28-3 in a team slayer game using sprint exclusively. On powerhouse slayer, he ran to the rockets immediately then got a triple, ran up and grabbed the focus rifle, then used sprint to avoid fights he couldn't win and to run around and flank the enemy. Jetpack seems to work well for Swordbase to get away from fights on the top level. Cloaking can be useful but mainly for pro gametypes without radar. With radar, they're on alert and can usually spot you. "
    That's an intelligent way to play the game.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm loving this a lot as well. Feels a lot more like Combat Evolved, which is sort of the direction they've been going back to since ODST. Really, a movement slightly kick-started by Halo 3.   

Anywho. I'm excited to see how the campaign shapes up. It's going to be good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.