Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Weird animation....effect?

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By borodin

Is anyone else seeing a sort of blurring effect on character models in the game? It's really noticeable to me whenever I'm in third-person mode, your player model whenever moving starts to blur in a really odd way - it's kind of like the animation has been capped to a lower framerate and they've blurred it to try and make it less noticeable? It makes it hard to focus on and is maybe even contributing to a headache. Just me?

minotaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By minotaka

yeah i know what you mean, i had it on my old SD tv during the beta...   was wanting to see if the HD made any differance. Definetly something to do with a lower capture rate.

Wes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Wes

It's just stylized motion blur. Looked good to me in HD, but I guess it could look weird on a standard def television.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I kinda noticed there was a crapload of motion blur on the quick look. Especially when they are in the drop-ships and the one next to them literally is covered in blur it almost looks like vaseline is smeared all over it.

Watched it in 720p if that matters, but it still looked really weird. I like some motion blur, but from the looks of things there might be a little too much. Of course it could look much different on a big fancy tv too, so I could be coming to a wrong conclusion about that.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NekuSakuraba

It has come out in the US already? O__O

Avatar image for deactivated-6442941ed320c
    deactivated-6442941ed320c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, noticed this a fair bit. I didn't think it was too bad, but there seemed to be a few parts where it was perhaps a bit too strong. 

Noticed a couple of chugging moments during the campaign, or parts where it seems to have paused for a second or two. Bit disconcerting.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Lies

It's possible your TV has it's dynamic motion (something like that, can't remember the exact name) on, which can result in severe blurring like that. There was some blur during the beta I remember but that was fixed for ship, so it seem likely it's your TV.

Then again I have yet to see the game running on my TV so maybe it is just a weird bug in the game.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By borodin
    @Wes: I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, it happens in situations where there shouldn't be any traditional motion blur at all - for example in the cutscenes, fixed camera, just someone walking can produce the jittery/blurry effect (I'm playing on an HD tv also). Regardless I've been playing solidly for a good few hours and it's not stressing my eyes out any more so woop woop! 

EIDT: oh god, I just noticed it does it horrendously when you equip the gravity hammer and my eyes started hurting again :(
    Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Cramsy

I don't have much of a problem with it

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By MikkaQ
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " It has come out in the US already? O__O "
    A lot of people get lucky and find it at a walmart for sale, or get it shipped early.  Happens with a lot of games. Saw a walmart selling MGS 4 PS3s a week before the game was out, really debated getting it.  

People on the east coast still have like 7 hours and 40 minutes or so to go. 
    blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By blackbird415

It is a motion blur effect. It is literally called motion blur. I don't have much of a problem with it other than being misused. It happens more and more because its an easy effect that in fact hide any blemishes of quality. It looks cool most of the time for me, but it can really be over done at times

Avatar image for deactivated-61f341f558336
    deactivated-61f341f558336

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@borodin: Yeah. There's another thread on the blurring effect. It's really distracting now that everyone is talking about it. Especially in the cut scenes.
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By DoctorWelch

I thought it was intentional, is it not? The only times I was seeing it was in some like cut scenes and stuff and it looked like it was supposed to be there.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Brenderous

I noticed this in lots of the videos. It looks like the game engine tries to add a blur whenever something moves, but if you are moving along with it, it still blurs sometimes, which doesn't make sense. 

Watch the other pelican at the start of the first mission.

Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Brenderous said:
    Watch the other pelican at the start of the first mission. "
    Falcon, not pelican.
    Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Brenderous
    @Agent47CSim2: DAMNIT
    punk_beatzUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By punk_beatzUK

Not a fan of this either. It looks really bad in some sections, especially on characters in cutscenes who aren't moving fast enough to warrant blurring.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

It's ghosting.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By borodin
    @ThePhantomnaut: I'm not sure why you're telling us that?
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @borodin said:

" @ThePhantomnaut: I'm not sure why you're telling us that? "

I am not sure if you're asking a question? But rude aside, it's a graphical trail effect outside motion blur.
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By borodin
    @ThePhantomnaut: Well I really meant labelling it doesn't help answer; is it deliberate, why does it make my eyes hurt, what's it good for, why do some people notice and some not etc. etc. etc. Just saying "it's x" didn't really seem to be saying much of anything. I tried looking up ghosting as something distinct from motion blur and not to do with displays and didn't find anything either by the way so if you could elaborate a bit on that it would be cool - also, (not directed at you specifically) as a general point, I know what motion blur is and this is not that, or at least it's not like any implementation of it I've ever seen.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

It's not a graphical trail effect. It's actually frames being blended together. You can notice it on the weapon animations. Especially the assault rifle.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @borodin said:
    " @ThePhantomnaut: Well I really meant labelling it doesn't help answer; is it deliberate, why does it make my eyes hurt, what's it good for, why do some people notice and some not etc. etc. etc. Just saying "it's x" didn't really seem to be saying much of anything. I tried looking up ghosting as something distinct from motion blur and not to do with displays and didn't find anything either by the way so if you could elaborate a bit on that it would be cool - also, (not directed at you specifically) as a general point, I know what motion blur is and this is not that, or at least it's not like any implementation of it I've ever seen. "
    I think I meant frame bending. The site elaborates on the issue (and during the beta) and I hope it clarifies anything.
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By borodin
    @ThePhantomnaut: That's perfect thanks! Wow so it's an anti-aliasing thing? Personally I think I'd rather have some more jaggies :(
    SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By SpudBug

It's a solution for both aliasing and framerate drops. 

The alternative is lowered detail, closer clipping planes on environments, reduced AI, reduced effects, screen tearing, low framerate, or all of the above.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.