Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 11, 2014

Chronicle the classic adventures of the Master Chief with a compilation of the first four main chronological installments of the Halo series, enhanced for the Xbox One with updated graphics and easy access to every multiplayer mode in the series' history.

Are you able to play just certain Halo games online

Jnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I know that they are going to have a playlist that picks maps across all Halos, but are they going to have playlists that are only say Halo 1 or Halo 2 maps? Me and my friends really just want to play those but I can't find anything confirming it.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Benny

My hope is that you queue for matchmaking and have access to every map from all the games but I could easily see people having to queue for a specific game's multiplayer. I'm interested to know the answer too op!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe you there are playlists that let you play whatever version you want only, so Halo 1 controls and maps only, Halo 2 controls and maps only etc etc as well as a version that will use a generic set of controls (probably halo 4) and maps drawn from each game.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I haven't seen them confirm it anywhere, but it seems like a logical thing to include... unless they're just afraid to see the population numbers for Halo 4. As cool a feature as it is being able to switch between games on the fly, I want to go in to a playlist knowing what game I'm going to get rather than leaving it up to a voting.

Jnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dharmabum: Exactly. Why I'll probably jump in to the multigame playlist every once in a while. I really just want to play 1 and 2 on their own. Also online competitive play probably won't like having to deal 4 different physics engines in a playlist.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@jnal: http://www.giantbomb.com/halo-the-master-chief-collection/3030-46552/

All games in the bundle will run at 1080p 60 fps on dedicated servers. Each game will feature its original multiplayer (for a total of 96 competitive multiplayer maps).

Halo CE: Anniversary: same as 360 version but 1080p 60fps (and without Reach multiplayer). Original multiplayer will be playable for the first time online.

Halo 2: Anniversary: remastered campaign with toggle-able graphics and new CGI cutscenes, completely unchanged multiplayer with all original 23 maps. Includes 6 extra remastered multiplayer maps by Certain Affinity (Ascension, Lockout, Zanzibar confirmed so far) that play on a new engine that mimics Halo 2's gameplay and are usable in Forge, while the original maps run on original engine.

Halo 3 & Halo 4: upgraded to 1080p 60fps with dedicated servers, Forge and Theater.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7 chaser324  Moderator  Online

@fattony12000: I don't think that really answers any of the questions the OP asked, but thanks for copy/pasting that, I guess.

On topic, I'd imagine that they probably would have to allow for some game-specific playlists. Especially with Halo: CE being legitimately online for the first time and Halo 2 getting updated maps, you have to imagine there are going to be plenty of people that want to just play one of those and not have stuff from the other games randomly mixed in.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: If they (Microsoft/343/our wiki) have said that Halo CE HD (2.0) will contain the original multiplayer game then that means you will be able to play the original multiplayer game for Halo CE, which means you'll be playing on the Halo CE maps from Halo CE inside of Halo CE multiplayer. And so on for Halo 2 and Halo 3 and Halo 4. So, if you just wanted to play Halo CE maps, then you'd select the Halo CE multiplayer-only "mode" or "playlist" or whatever they end up calling it.

If there will be any crossover, for example, with letting you play the remastered version of Halo 2's Ascension in Halo 3, they haven't mentioned anything about that sort of kind of thing.

As to whether or not this type of multiplayer will be called a "playlist" or a "hopper" or a "type" or a "season", sure, they haven't mentioned that relatively minor-in-the-grand-scheme-of-things thing yet. I'm sure they will soon.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they might have a dynamic playlist for match making meaning by default any map and will have to play by the rule of whatever game it belongs to. That would probably answer any concerns of lobbies thinning out.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: If they (Microsoft/343/our wiki) have said that Halo CE HD (2.0) will contain the original multiplayer game then that means you will be able to play the original multiplayer game for Halo CE, which means you'll be playing on the Halo CE maps from Halo CE inside of Halo CE multiplayer. And so on for Halo 2 and Halo 3 and Halo 4. So, if you just wanted to play Halo CE maps, then you'd select the Halo CE multiplayer-only "mode" or "playlist" or whatever they end up calling it.

If there will be any crossover, for example, with letting you play the remastered version of Halo 2's Ascension in Halo 3, they haven't mentioned anything about that sort of kind of thing.

As to whether or not this type of multiplayer will be called a "playlist" or a "hopper" or a "type" or a "season", sure, they haven't mentioned that relatively minor-in-the-grand-scheme-of-things thing yet. I'm sure they will soon.

They aren't splitting the multiplayer into separate launched games. The multiplayer is the multiplayer and the map determines the visuals and game engine. If they split it into four entirely seperate walled off environments that would cut the total user base by 75% for each game (or maybe 66% because no one would choose Halo 4), and it would also defeat the purpose of having all those maps if you couldn't access them all at once. As for the original question, I would bet anything that they offer game specific playlists.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DharmaBum
    No Caption Provided

@fattony12000: OP is talking about a situation like in this screenshot for example, where the first 2 maps are from Halo 1 and the last is from Halo 2. We're saying there should be a playlist for each game where only maps from that specific game will show up on the rotation.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

yes if you just want to play Halo 2 MP you can.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't tell if we are all saying the same thing or not.

Fuck.

I'm just gonna go play Mario on my Game Boy instead.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DharmaBum

Q: How exactly does matchmaking work? Will there be a filter or something that allows me to play just Halo 2 matchmaking? And so on for the other games.

A: We’ll have more to share on Matchmaking at a later date, but we can say that we’ll have playlists that offer multiple games, as well as dedicated experiences for separate games.

https://blogs.halowaypoint.com/en-us/blogs/headlines/posts/the-halo-bulletin-6-19-14

So, sounds like everything is okay.

Frankie has also confirmed this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116093189&postcount=1027

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.