Halo: MCC Finally Coming to PC (Steam!)

#1 Edited by Malarkain (154 posts) -

The rumors have been circulating for awhile on a PC release but I'm still shocked they put it on Steam. I'll be thrilled to have the OG trilogy ready to go on my PC whenever I want to jump in for campaign or sweet sweet custom games.

edit: 4k HDR 60FPS. PC will have staggered releases for each game though, starting with Reach.

#2 Posted by inevpatoria (7428 posts) -

And Reach confirmed for the collection. Finally.

#3 Posted by Onemanarmyy (4236 posts) -

Time to become a huge halo nerd and get a masterchief face tattoo!

#4 Posted by Panfoot (321 posts) -

Pleasantly surprised it's coming to steam, this might have been the only thing strong enough they had to even make me reconsider touching the windows store if it was exclusive to that.

#5 Posted by simmant (82 posts) -

This seems like a bad sign for the Windows store .

#6 Posted by Bollard (8151 posts) -

I was really hoping this would shadowdrop today, but as it is it seems even just the first portion won't be out till later this year. Shame, but at least the addition of Reach and Steam support have softened the blow of the wait and its piecemeal nature.

There's a longer post over here: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-pc-halo-reach - It's interesting to see they plan to charge for each game on PC too. At least that means I can skip 4.

"Our current plan is for this journey to begin with the launch of Halo: Reach – the fictional beginnings of Master Chief’s saga – with the rest of the titles following in chronological order thereafter. Halo: Reach, Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST (Campaign), and Halo 4 will each be available for individual purchase within MCC as they become available."

#7 Posted by Hayt (1664 posts) -

Nice. I loved Halo 1 on PC and stopped playing after they stopped coming over. The waiting game is over it seems. When they say staggered releases does that mean its almost like an episodic game? You make one purchase and more comes in over time?

#8 Edited by BigBoss1911 (2932 posts) -

Well there goes any excuse to ever buy an xbox again. Day one purchase for me.

#9 Posted by Schatzy23 (204 posts) -

Has it been announced if it'll be included in the Xbox Play Anywhere program (the one that if you buy it through the store you can own both a copy for the Xbox and the PC)?

#10 Posted by Panfoot (321 posts) -

Can someone more familiar with the Masterchief Collection(and really just Halo in general, last game I played was Reach), did they ever re-release the PC exclusive content from the original PC port of Halo 1? I remember really enjoying those extra maps(Timberland being a favorite).

#11 Posted by FacelessVixen (2545 posts) -

Guess I'll buy them as a bundle when they're all out. I miss Halo 3.

Also, fuck that clerk at GameStop who said that I should get an Xbox.

#12 Posted by reap3r160 (199 posts) -

Surprised it's coming to steam. I'm more excited for reach....halo on PC is heresy :P

Yes I know Halo 1 and 2 were on PC, but imo Halo is a console franchise at it's core. Dumb I know, but I'm also the guy who doesn't buy digital because, "collections".

#13 Posted by Justin258 (15618 posts) -

Freaking finally. I couldn't be happier to hear this. I only hope it turns out to be a good port. Hell, I'm happy as long as it performs smoothly and has controller support, though an actual good port would make me even happier.

#14 Edited by Justin258 (15618 posts) -

@panfoot said:

Can someone more familiar with the Masterchief Collection(and really just Halo in general, last game I played was Reach), did they ever re-release the PC exclusive content from the original PC port of Halo 1? I remember really enjoying those extra maps(Timberland being a favorite).

The formerly PC exclusive maps for Halo 1 and 2 were included in the MCC.

#15 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8844 posts) -

HOLY SHIT! I'm thrilled!

#16 Posted by Panfoot (321 posts) -
#17 Posted by mems1224 (2501 posts) -

Pretty cool for those who haven't had access to Halo but Im more excited for 4k/60fps Reach.

#18 Edited by Sarnecki (1350 posts) -

You mean to tell me I get Halo 1, 2 3 4 as well as ODST AND Reach??

#19 Posted by Casepb (635 posts) -

I can't shake the feeling that two weeks before release it will be removed from Steam and only sold on the Epic Store...

#20 Posted by Keirgo (128 posts) -

That's freakin awesome, I was hoping this would make its way to PC some day, and here we are! 😀

Reading the news post it sounds like they're going to try to do right by a PC port, with FOV sliders, high frame rates, and multiple aspect ratio support. Maybe @rorie will be able to make good use of his ultrawide monitor!

Exciting times.

#21 Posted by tds418 (448 posts) -

Let's hope the multiplayer works better for the PC launch than it did for the Xbox launch. I don't think I've ever been burned harder by pre-order in my life! (They did get into a good state...eventually).

#22 Posted by sfw44 (274 posts) -

This is so awesome, Halo is probably my favorite video game franchise, and it's still my favorite shooter by far. I told my friends who I used to play Halo with today and I haven't seen them so excited for video games in a long time. I can't wait for to pick this up on Steam and not the dog shit Windows store too.

#23 Edited by ShaggE (9233 posts) -

I've been wanting to revisit the Halo games (and finally play 4), so this is perfect. It'll be nice to have Reach around too. Life is always better with Reach around. *blink*

#24 Posted by soulcake (2706 posts) -

Did they ever fix the master chief collection or is it still broke?

#25 Posted by Otacon (2337 posts) -

Awesome! Can't wait, hope it's still one bundled price, even with the staggered release

#26 Posted by Forrester90 (984 posts) -

Awesome! I love the first three Halo games.

#27 Posted by NTM (11643 posts) -

That's cool for PC players. I'm excited about Reach finally coming, even though we have to buy it.

#28 Edited by tds418 (448 posts) -

@soulcake said:

It literally took them years to do so but yes, it's largely fixed and in good shape.

#29 Posted by IEEE_GB (27 posts) -

Never actually played 3, ODST, or reach (around)

Hope its a reasonable price and have server browsers

#30 Edited by inevpatoria (7428 posts) -

@soulcake said:

Very playable, very stable, lots of quality of life changes. Still has some issues here and there, but overall, it's essentially everything that was ever promised and more.

#31 Edited by TheHT (15812 posts) -

i finally get to finish the fight. hooray!

#32 Posted by Mike (17990 posts) -
#33 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2932 posts) -

@mike: This brings up some questions. How much will each game cost? I'll gladly pay $60 for the whole thing.

#34 Posted by pauljeremiah (225 posts) -

Haven't played a Halo game since Halo 2. So really looking forward to this.

I hope that you just buy the collection as a bundle on Steam and they unlock as each game releases and not to have to buy every game individually.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.