Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 11, 2014

Chronicle the classic adventures of the Master Chief with a compilation of the first four main chronological installments of the Halo series, enhanced for the Xbox One with updated graphics and easy access to every multiplayer mode in the series' history.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Having Matchmaking Issues [UPDATED]

• 91 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

UPDATE: While the issues with Halo matchmaking persist, the game's executive producer, Dan Ayoub, has written a lengthy letter about what's being done to fix it. You can read the whole thing, but here's an excerpt, which includes an apology:

"We are doing everything we can on an hourly basis to improve the experience, while we work on our solution. In the meantime, we’ve found a few things looking at the data that can help you a little as well. We’re seeing successful match times from anywhere from 15 seconds to 4 minutes. 4 minutes is a long time to wait for a match, but don’t quit out too quickly as it will come. If you haven’t found a match within about 4 minutes, please exit the search and restart, as this will reset the parameters and increase the likelihood of entering a match. I realize this isn’t ideal, but it’s temporary while we sort things out.

I’d like to personally apologize to you all for the current situation. I can assure you we’re attacking this from all directions from 343 Industries to the Xbox platform, and we won’t rest until it’s what it should be. People are reporting improvements across the board, which is great, but we’re not backing down until we finish this fight."

--

It's still unclear when (or if) Driveclub will ever be fully operational, but Sony's not the only company facing online issues for a high-profile release. The just launched Halo: The Master Chief Collection has notable matchmaking issues for new players.

A quick search of the terms "halo matchmaking" on Twitter reveals plenty of grumbling, and you have to feel bad for people trying to enjoy a day off with a troubled online game.

343 Industries pointed fans to this support post, promising updates as matchmaking is addressed.

"We are aware of the issues players have been experiencing with matchmaking and we’re working around the clock, alongside the Xbox Live team, to improve the situation. We have deployed an update that has shown some improvement, and we continue to optimize the experience. The update deployed to matchmaking was done on the server side and does not require an extra download to your Xbox One. This is our top priority and will keep everyone updated regularly as we deploy continued improvements."

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It was also splitting me from my friends once we actually found games last night. We queued as 3 people and we never once all wound up on the same team. There is certainly some work to do! I'm hopeful it'll be fixed quickly though.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

The power of the cloud!

Why someone would take a day off of work on day 1 of a heavily multiplayer focused game, I have no idea. Learn from the past or repeat it. Take Friday off or something and make a 3 day weekend out of it, should be fixed by then.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By spraynardtatum

Thanks for the update Patrick. I've been really digging your coverage this week. And it's only Tuesday!

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I hope this gets fixed quick. My copy is coming in the mail today and I carved out my night for some Halo time.

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fishmicmuffin

@kanerobot: It's Veteran's Day here in the US so they likely got it off without having to use vacation.

drabnon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kanerobot: I wouldn't take off work to play a game but don't blame consumers for companies fucking up. There have been plenty of smooth multiplayer game launches.

JeremyKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kanerobot: It's veteran's day, they probably had the day off anyway.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More like HALF-LO

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I hope this gets fixed, my copy will arrive soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fdfa1dbf9a
    deactivated-629fdfa1dbf9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrick its taken me 6hours to install the game and download the patch. Currently on 92% down. Its been about 1% every 30mins.... Its not my net as i have 70mb/s fibre.

I'm a massive Halo fan boy, so i dont mind the wait

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Playing through the Halo 2 campaign right now, guessing it will be working by the time I've finished just in time for the weekend.

I've been nostalgia tripping so hard, I've got all these old albums loaded up on my phone including The Game - The Documentary, Coldplay -X&Y and Kayne West - Late Registration. I'm about to time travel back to the summer of 2005, I can't wait for thanksgiving when i'm back in my parents house playing this, it's going to bring back some memories.

Damn i hate being old.

GeneralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad it's not just me!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By Shaunage

I haven't gotten into a matchmaking game yet. Also, a friend and I were playing Halo 1 legendary co-op in the playlist and the game completely locked up a couple of times. We could still move the camera and use the menus, but even resetting to checkpoint just left us frozen in place.

When this thing is working as intended, it'll be the best game ever released, but right now, unless you're playing custom games or single-player campaigns, it's completely broken.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Bummer, but this unfortunately appears to be the norm for game launches with multiplayer features these days.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SomeJerk

They didn't use synthetic load tests for the matchmaker right? :(

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18  Edited By Raven10

@kanerobot: It's Veteran's Day here in the US so they likely got it off without having to use vacation.

It's not just the US. Today is the anniversary of the end of World War 1. It is a holiday in many nations throughout the world although not under the term Veteran's Day.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By stackboy

I usually take launch day off for games I am really excited for. I was looking forward to the MCC, but not so much that I took a day off to play it (mostly because I've played all this before). Boy am I glad I didn't. Still, excited to play MP when it works!

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By indieslaw

I have yet to get into a match. Wait times of 20 minutes and up. Boo!

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I'm probably one of the few people who bought it for mainly single player but that's mainly because I've never played halo online. Still bummed it's not working but I'm totally fine messing with campaign until it's up

jchenderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fine with matchmaking not working as it will take a day to download patch. What I could not understand though was why they installed Halo 4 first.

MikeW1980UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

A modern video game is having modern video game problems.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By big_jon

@kanerobot said:

The power of the cloud!

Why someone would take a day off of work on day 1 of a heavily multiplayer focused game, I have no idea. Learn from the past or repeat it. Take Friday off or something and make a 3 day weekend out of it, should be fixed by then.

I missed the part where he stated he took the game off for Halo specifically... I wasn't aware that people could just chose what days they get off of work. Must be nice in your world.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The power of the cloud!

Speaking of the power of the cloud; all my achievement progress got wiped for Xbox One games. Was about to unlock a couple in Titanfall and the next thing I know, all my progress was set to 0% and wasn't moving. Like that for all my games now.

The power of the cloud...

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jsnyder82

@big_jon said:

@kanerobot said:

The power of the cloud!

I missed the part where he stated he took the game off for Halo specifically... I wasn't aware that people could just chose what days they get off of work. Must be nice in your world.

Actually, a lot of people can choose what days they get off work. It's called a paid vacation day. It is nice in this world!

SkipperSonne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SkipperSonne

^That.

Anyway, when the hell can I play single player? This has been on 40% Ready to Start and has yet to get me past the title screen.

LevelUpAdrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_jon said:

@kanerobot said:

The power of the cloud!

Ummm...

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@big_jon said:

@kanerobot said:

The power of the cloud!

Actually, a lot of people can choose what days they get off work. It's called a paid vacation day. It is nice in this world!

I tend to use those days for you know, vacations.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_jon said:

@jsnyder82 said:

@big_jon said:

@kanerobot said:

The power of the cloud!

Cool? People are allowed to use "vacation days" for things not absolutely defined as a vacation.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ripelivejam

Fuck this boycotting video games forever im burning all my nintendos.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jsnyder82

@big_jon said:

@jsnyder82 said:

@big_jon said:

@kanerobot said:

The power of the cloud!

But you don't have to....that's kind of my point. You don't have to necessarily travel somewhere in order to take a paid day off.

AwkwardLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On top of that nor only are Achievements not working but I keep getting a message stating "untracked build won't upload" during the campaign that forces me to quit out.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It didn't on Agents of Shield. Two of the guys were clearly playing some lag-free mp.

xSeanZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fine with matchmaking not working as it will take a day to download patch. What I could not understand though was why they installed Halo 4 first.

This. 100x this. What an absolutely infuriating install process.

Not even allowing us to prioritize one over the other? Ridiculous.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My friend says matchmaking is working completely fine now. How's it going for you guys? I'm still installing.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By samfo
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@samfo: @frostyryan: full of snot indeed. I've gotten into one game so far and it wasn't even full. But when you get in the game it performs very well at least.... Silver lining boys and girls. Silver lining.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ripelivejam

Proud owner of a 'bone now! :D :(

I have no restraint.

Anyway playing through halo:ce while multi's borked and love the near 60fps but thought it'd be a tiny bit better looking. Also somewhat antiquated control throwing me for a loop but that's Halo for yaand me not having played this series in awhile. Im just hoping this and FH2 don't end up on PC or ill be kicking myself, at least until some more hot scloosies come out.

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven10 said:

@fishmicmuffin said:

It's not just the US. Today is the anniversary of the end of World War 1. It is a holiday in many nations throughout the world although not under the term Veteran's Day.

Didn't know that! Thank you for enlightening me.

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit the bugs in this are out of hand. Not sure how they let this go gold this way.

Alek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Proud owner of a 'bone now! :D :(

I have no restraint.

Anyway playing through halo:ce while multi's borked and love the near 60fps but thought it'd be a tiny bit better looking. Also somewhat antiquated control throwing me for a loop but that's Halo for yaand me not having played this series in awhile. Im just hoping this and FH2 don't end up on PC or ill be kicking myself, at least until some more hot scloosies come out.

I think you're safe. Both first-party games, MS killed GFW without really replacing it and is currently trailing PS4 in total sales, so far as I am aware. Maybe they'll try the whole selling and publishing games on PC thing again on Windows 9Windows 10 Windows Start Menu Edition.

It's almost like they could put some hooks into their own operating system and have a game app that can launch games from any service (with their requisite overlays), getting all your game libraries and organising them in one place, and also sell you games direct through said app from MS in another tab with a version of Live that isn't total garbage and maybe end up making some money off games on their own platform. They could even make a new Freelancer. I'd make some shitty snarky comment about how none of this is going to happen but I'm just bummed out. Freelancer was the best.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b
    deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Anyway playing through halo:ce while multi's borked and love the near 60fps but thought it'd be a tiny bit better looking.

Press the view button. Fixes all the graphical problems with Halo:CE

Avatar image for sargent_sobchak
    Sargent_Sobchak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not surprised. I remember I had issues with Halo 4 almost never matching me into a DLC multiplayer map, and I think that was a pretty common complaint that was never fully addressed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.