Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 11, 2014

Chronicle the classic adventures of the Master Chief with a compilation of the first four main chronological installments of the Halo series, enhanced for the Xbox One with updated graphics and easy access to every multiplayer mode in the series' history.

Should I be able to play this game without paying for it?

jeffhopman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I downloaded the game last night, it didn't ask for payment, so I thought maybe it would ask me to pay before I started playing...nope. Played the pillar of autumn mission all the way through, unlocked some achievements and everything. What is going on? It's not in my account purchase history, but is fully playable. Am I missing something??

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You got a free game congratulations.

jeffhopman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there's got to be something more to this....

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xbox Live was freaking out last night so it's possible you just caught it while it's proverbial pants were down.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I've done this a couple of times on Xbox360 when Fable 2 was accidentally free for a short time and another I can't remember. They screw up sometimes though this seems like a huge oversight.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've done this a couple of times on Xbox360 when Fable 2 was accidentally free for a short time and another I can't remember. They screw up sometimes though this seems like a huge oversight.

Dark Souls was I believe the other game they made accidentally free.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Stop snitching.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#8  Edited By alistercat

@corevi: That isn't one that I got, but sounds plausible. It's happened a fair few times.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

HA
    thats just to funny. gratz

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: That isn't one that I got, but sounds plausible. It's happened a fair few times.

It's also happened on PSN a few times. I've grabbed Persona 3 FES and MtG DotP 2013 for free.

jeffhopman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so has anyone else here bought it digitally? I assume it asked you to pay upfront then?

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Just enjoy it while it lasts. If it was indeed a mistake, then it is a mistake over a game worth playing. If they ask you to pay up later then so be it.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I got Counter Strike GO for 13 cents on steam, because they fucked up on a sale once when it was supposed to be $13.

Be happy you got a free game. :D

jeffhopman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jeffhopman

w00t

brownsfantb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#15  Edited By brownsfantb

@jeffhopman: It asked me for payment up front. I pre-ordered it last week digitally and it took the payment out then.

jeffhopman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brownsfantb: okay, thanks. I'm still thinking it's going to ask for money at some point, but maybe that's just pessimism.

Mitch0712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mitch0712

I got a free physical copy coming today. I pre-ordered from the online Microsoft Store on the 9th and didn't receive it launch day, so I requested a cancellation so I could just pick up a copy in-store. After it was canceled at 3am on the 12th when the order was still "In Processing" I got an email saying it was shipped 6 hours later.

Mitch0712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Follow up: They ended up charging me. I guess they knew.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By damodar

The Australian Ubisoft store once had a massive muckup where nearly everything on the store was reduced to zero dollars. I got about $2000 worth of free games, and later, an email from them basically saying 'it was our mistake do we'll honour it, enjoy'

So that was pretty good.

That sucks that Microsoft didn't do the same and own their mistake.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damodar: or maybe you should have a good conscience to begin with and not take advantage?

in this case i think it would suffice to revoke access to the game rather than outright charge you, though.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brownsfantb: okay, thanks. I'm still thinking it's going to ask for money at some point, but maybe that's just pessimism.

That's not how the system works. You aren't supposed to be able to download it without paying. At this point the license is already on your console (though likely not tied to your account). I'd imagine any profile on your system will be able to play the game indefinitely and you're never going to be prevented from playing and asked to pay, but that copy of the game is stuck to that specific console.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@ripelivejam: Having a good conscience would be not taking advantage of that situation with a decent company. In his case, it was Ubisoft, so taking advantage of that would actually be perfectly fine.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctordonkey: even if it's ubisoft, stealing is stealing. still not justified, and the company as a whole doesn't represent the individuals who probably are worked like dogs and deserve to be compensated.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

@doctordonkey: even if it's ubisoft, stealing is stealing. still not justified, and the company as a whole doesn't represent the individuals who probably are worked like dogs and deserve to be compensated.

That isn't stealing. Also individual developers don't actually make a portion of money off of every game sold, they have a fixed salary. They deserve to be compensated, sure, but some dude taking advantage of a website error isn't taking any money away from the people actually making the games.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see how this is stealing. The dude basically just walked into a store where every price tag said "Free". Also, as @darthorange pointed out, 99.9% of the people working on the games have a fixed salary.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.