Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo Waypoint

Concept »

Halo Waypoint is a downloadable application for the Xbox 360 and Windows Phone 7 that serves as a hub for both information about the Halo series and the "Halo career" of players.

Halo Waypoint Gets A Twitter Account, Kills A Rumor

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    Was Borderlands originally Halo 4!!?!?!! Well, no, probably not.
    Announced last week at Comic-Con, Halo Waypoint is set to be some kind of big portal for all things Halo when it launches this Fall. To keep people in the know about its progress, Microsoft set up a Twitter account where it can talk about the upcoming product.

So far, most of the information has been pretty light, with the people (people?) manning the account using it to engage people about what they'd like to see on Waypoint and giving away some DLC codes for the recent Halo Wars add-on.

Today, however, @HaloWaypoint settled the score on a long-running Halo rumor with this update:

For the record, Gearbox is NOT working on a Halo title for Microsoft.

This one had been kicking around for ages, originally claiming that the developer of Borderlands was working on Halo 4. This recent denial was probably sparked by a recent Eurogamer interview with Gearbox's Randy Pitchford, where a question about Gearbox's involvement with Microsoft's franchise was quickly shut down with a "we can't talk about that." That's not a very poker-faced way to address something that's completely unsubstantiated.

If I were a betting man, I'd probably put money behind a theory that Gearbox was, at one time, working on something Halo-related, but plans changed and the developer moved on. If you're interested in see what Gearbox is actually actively working on, check out our recent interview with Randy Pitchford to hear more about Borderlands.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    Announced last week at Comic-Con, Halo Waypoint is set to be some kind of big portal for all things Halo when it launches this Fall. To keep people in the know about its progress, Microsoft set up a Twitter account where it can talk about the upcoming product.

So far, most of the information has been pretty light, with the people (people?) manning the account using it to engage people about what they'd like to see on Waypoint and giving away some DLC codes for the recent Halo Wars add-on.

Today, however, @HaloWaypoint settled the score on a long-running Halo rumor with this update:

For the record, Gearbox is NOT working on a Halo title for Microsoft.

This one had been kicking around for ages, originally claiming that the developer of Borderlands was working on Halo 4. This recent denial was probably sparked by a recent Eurogamer interview with Gearbox's Randy Pitchford, where a question about Gearbox's involvement with Microsoft's franchise was quickly shut down with a "we can't talk about that." That's not a very poker-faced way to address something that's completely unsubstantiated.

If I were a betting man, I'd probably put money behind a theory that Gearbox was, at one time, working on something Halo-related, but plans changed and the developer moved on. If you're interested in see what Gearbox is actually actively working on, check out our recent interview with Randy Pitchford to hear more about Borderlands.
    ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ht101

I'll take Borderlands over a new Halo project any day of the week.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

Well, that's not your typical "no comment" rumor response. :)

KingOfIceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By KingOfIceland
    @HT101 said:
    " I'll take Borderlands over a new Halo project any day of the week. "
    I second that notion wholeheartedly.
    thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By thebeast
    @LordAndrew: It seems the advent of the 'Twitter age' has created a lot less 'No comments' and a pretty decent amount of straight up answers/announcements.
    Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Death_Burnout
    @TheBeast said:
    " @LordAndrew: It seems the advent of the 'Twitter age' has created a lot less 'No comments' and a pretty decent amount of straight up answers/announcements. "
    Dear God the "Twitter Age"...the amount of times i've heard that and Twitter mentioned on TV at the moment is disgusting.
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By flaminghobo
    @Death_Burnout said:
    " @TheBeast said:
    " @LordAndrew: It seems the advent of the 'Twitter age' has created a lot less 'No comments' and a pretty decent amount of straight up answers/announcements. "
    Dear God the "Twitter Age"...the amount of times i've heard that and Twitter mentioned on TV at the moment is disgusting. "
    I agree I'm getting sick of hearing about Twitter.
    seram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By seram

Twitter suffers from what I call "Myspace syndrome". At its core its not a bad idea. But when the wrong people (teenagers, people who aren't teenagers but act like they are anyway, etc) get ahold of it, things just start getting crazy. And whenever CNN makes an account on something, then that's just the end of it. /rant

JDUB_XL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By JDUB_XL

I figured this much. Why would Microsoft go through all the trouble of getting their own Halo centric development group together if they were just going to farm out a traditional Halo sequel to a third party.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Alphazero
    @FlamingHobo said:
    I agree I'm getting sick of hearing about Twitter. "

RT @FlamingHobo I agree i'm getting sick of hearing about Twitter.

I find it pretty interesting. For instance, did you know that Ed Boon, one of the creators of Mortal Kombat, woke up at 5:21 this morning, then went back to sleep, and took a shower two hours later?
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By flaminghobo
    @Alphazero: No I didn't know that, I'm not saying that it's not a good tool to hear about what people are doing and how they are, I'm just getting a tad sick of constantly hearing about Twitter. It's like seeing a trailer for a film on the TV or before another film constantly, it's a good way of getting publicity for the film and to get customers like me interested but I'll get sick of seeing it after a while.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
    deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@HT101 said:
    i will fourth that notion.  I am so stoked for Borderlands.
    Nets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Nets
    @HT101 said:
    "I'll take Borderlands over a new Halo project any day of the week."

I'll fifth that notion.
    aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By aaox

Which brings up the question: Why would they say "We can't talk about that"? I know it's for secrecy's sake, but it's pretty much a straight out yes. Either that, or a "You're digging too deep here, mate. Back off.". It's almost as bad as a "I can neither confirm or deny that at this point".

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#15  Edited By MeatSim

Well Borderlands looks awesome so I am glad they didn't do a Halo sequel.

nick69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By nick69
    @HT101 said:
    I'll sixth that notion.

And I'm also getting sick of hearing about twitter
    cluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By cluto

...Yeah Borderlands! WOOOO!

sdauz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By sdauz

Jesus i have no friggin clue over why ppl keep hating on halo.....THERE HAS NOT BEEN THAT MANY HALO GAMES!!!....Halo (2001), Halo 2 (2004), Halo 3 (2007)...there has been on average 1 halo FPS every 3 years....give it a rest ppl

raikoh05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By raikoh05
    @sdauz: that has changed. halo wars, odst, reach and however many more games microsoft will make to milk the halo name once bungie moves on.
    raikoh05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By raikoh05
    @nick69: agreed on both accounts
    tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By tactis

The constant Halo hate is really pretty predictable stuff I remember 2 years ago people kept bashing Halo 3 calling it Halo 2.5 over and over can we please stop bashing a great franchise every single iteration?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrKlorox

Thank god! Gearbox remains Halo free!

Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm a massive Halo fan but I'm really impressed by borderlands and will probobly buy it.

Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sdauz said:
    "Jesus i have no friggin clue over why ppl keep hating on halo.....THERE HAS NOT BEEN THAT MANY HALO GAMES!!!....Halo (2001), Halo 2 (2004), Halo 3 (2007)...there has been on average 1 halo FPS every 3 years....give it a rest ppl "

I second that.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#25  Edited By Jazz
    @tactis said:
    "

The constant Halo hate is really pretty predictable stuff I remember 2 years ago people kept bashing Halo 3 calling it Halo 2.5 over and over can we please stop bashing a great franchise every single iteration?

"
    Its not a great franchise...
    I dont understand all the Halo love...beyond the multiplayer which isnt my thing the storyline and gameplay took a serious nosedive after the first halo (which still stands as one of my favourite experiences in gaming) Halo 2 was god awful, and halo 3 was even worse.
    That is why people complain. Too much hype over an inferior product.
    ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ZeroCast

Where's my Oni 2 :(.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @KingOfIceland said:
    " @HT101 said:
    I second that notion wholeheartedly. "

If I was an Oirish man I would tird that.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Jazz said:
    " @tactis said:
    "

"
    I dont understand all the Halo love...beyond the multiplayer which isnt my thing the storyline and gameplay took a serious nosedive after the first halo (which still stands as one of my favourite experiences in gaming) Halo 2 was god awful, and halo 3 was even worse.
    "
    That's your opinion.  Frankly, I could say the same thing about Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, or pracitcally any other franchise.
    Just because *you* don't like it, doesn't mean it's not great.  The millions of people currently playing it online clearly disagree.
    Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
    @sdauz said:
    " Jesus i have no friggin clue over why ppl keep hating on halo.....THERE HAS NOT BEEN THAT MANY HALO GAMES!!!....Halo (2001), Halo 2 (2004), Halo 3 (2007)...there has been on average 1 halo FPS every 3 years....give it a rest ppl "
    Where were people hating on Halo?
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jazz
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @Jazz said:
    " @tactis said:
    "

"
    "
    That's your opinion.  Frankly, I could say the same thing about Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, or pracitcally any other franchise.Just because *you* don't like it, doesn't mean it's not great.  The millions of people currently playing it online clearly disagree. "
    Indeed, but citing millions of people playing online as making it a good game is not a viable argument either.My statement was that the single player game of halo has gone greatly downhill since the first, and as such can not be called a great franchise when the only improvements are made in multiplayer, while the single player suffers in comparison. Whether or not a great game can be made by multiplayer alone is another, more interesting perhaps, argument.
    I was demonstrating why there was so much 'halo bashing'...Just because the masses think it is great does not make it so. Its the games that survive over 10 years+ with people still playing them that are the great games., as in FFVII, MGS etc. While its possible halo 1 will continue to be revered, halo 2 and 3 will most certainly not, especially due to the western markets over saturation with FPSs. That was my argument. If you dont agree,  enjoy your game. I wont hold it against you :) 

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Jazz said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @Jazz said:
    " @tactis said:
    "

"
    "
    That's your opinion.  Frankly, I could say the same thing about Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, or pracitcally any other franchise.Just because *you* don't like it, doesn't mean it's not great.  The millions of people currently playing it online clearly disagree. "
    Indeed, but citing millions of people playing online as making it a good game is not a viable argument either.My statement was that the single player game of halo has gone greatly downhill since the first, and as such can not be called a great franchise when the only improvements are made in multiplayer, while the single player suffers in comparison. Whether or not a great game can be made by multiplayer alone is another, more interesting perhaps, argument.
    I was demonstrating why there was so much 'halo bashing'...Just because the masses think it is great does not make it so. Its the games that survive over 10 years+ with people still playing them that are the great games., as in FFVII, MGS etc. While its possible halo 1 will continue to be revered, halo 2 and 3 will most certainly not, especially due to the western markets over saturation with FPSs. That was my argument. If you dont agree,  enjoy your game. I wont hold it against you :) 

"
    The single player Halo 3 is still played very often as well though.  I frquently enjoy playing through it on co-op.  While I'd definitely agree that Halo 2 was a massive step backwards for the single player, the third easily corrected those mistakes, and made a campaign that was even better than the originals.  ODST's looks even better for being much more character driven, open world and generally more inline with the gameplay mechanics from the original game.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Media_Master

Borderlands looks great

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @RiotBananas said:
    " @raikoh05 said:
    " @sdauz: that has changed. halo wars, odst, reach and however many more games microsoft will make to milk the halo name once bungie moves on. "
    Can you blame them for Milking the Halo Cow? Gullible fucks everywhere still buy the games! "
    Just like people still buy games like Team Fortress, Metal Gear Solid, Grand Thef Auto, etc?
    Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Manatassi
    @Jazz said:
    " @tactis said:
    "

"
    "
    I have to totally disagree with you there. I guess you didn't like Halo 2 but taken in the context of the trilogy I find the story holds up well. As a narrative Bungie were never attempting to be profound and pour out confused messages of anti war and commentary on the human state that if published in book form would have been critically panned. Instead they created an extremely solid game with a simple but well told story set within a fleshed out universe focused around well defined characters who I found enjoyable. 

Bungie created an extremely evocative style with the distinctive soundtrack and visual style and kept everything consistent throughout the trilogy. Every game in the Trilogy was met with extremely high critical reception and has been consistently one of the most played games series of the last decade. 

Exactly how you can claim that Halo "Is not a great franchise" with its credentials set so high I fail to understand? It has met every criteria that would qualify the other great franchise you site such as MGS or Final Fantasy that people are playing 10+ years later.

Well apart from one qualification.. Halo was released on the Xbox consoles. If you are simply Anti a games series because it was released on a particular console, well your credibility is questionable. If your criticism of the series is based on the fact that you seem to not be a fan of the FPS Genre and don't like Multiplayer then I would say that you are hardly qualified to comment, and why are you commenting on a post specifically about a genre that you clearly don't like anyway?  

Halo IS a great Franchise. If because of its popularity (which I suspect is the reason some people seem to want to make negative comments about it.) or its HUGE critical success. Wether or not you do like the game it seems foolish to make statements like  "Halo 2 was god awful, and halo 3 even worse" as many many people clearly appreciated these games for a reason. As to wether Microsoft will maintain the high quality of the series so far this has to be seen but until there is a game launched to the contrary there is no point running around crying foul before we have seen the evidence. 

According to your reasoning Jeff's credibility could be seriously brought into question and his opinion could become suspect. However I happen to find his comments well thought out and with a high degree of credibility, that is why I followed him to this site. I would point out that either his critical opinion of the franchise is accurate or your comments are. Myself I'm going with Jeff on this. 

I happen to also think that MGS is a great franchise, and Final Fantasy, altho I will admit that Final Fantasy is not part of a genre I greatly enjoy. I can simply recognize that other peoples opinions are valid and that not every game has to please me to become somehow Validated. I hated Resident evil 5, however I would still say that the Resident Evil Franchise is a great franchise. 

Anyway thats my perspective on the subject, take it or leave it, either is fine. If you disagree feel free to respond but please be civil. If you feel you can explain your reasoning please respond as I would be interested in hearing it.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jazz

Well argued, then again i state my opinion clearly at the beginning as being an opinion, second time around at least.

Indeed i do not like FPSs to a degree, but i did say that Halo on the original xbox was one of my favourite gaming experiences of all time. So much so i played it to legendary.
    I would also discount my need to disrespect it due to its platform, as i feel the same about Infamous. Again, an opinion..granted it may have come across as a statement, to which i can only apologise. I have the same problem with Gears of War 2. Gears was a great game, but 2 just did nothing for me. 

What Credentials has Halo got exactly? Its a popular franchise which has sold tons, and been well reviewed. If thats what is needed for a great franchise, well that covers quite a few areas. Pokemon, Dungeon Quest, Battlefield, Guitar Hero. This isnt what i'd call a great franchise though....Is Mass Effect a great franchise? The storytelling, control, investment and design is far superior. and there will be more games afterwards...but i still wouldn't attribute it great franchise status.

I honestly think that the great franchises are those we play 10+ years after release. The original sonic games on the megadrive, mario, doom, geeze even golden axe. Whether people will hold Halo with the same amount of reverence as they do doom, or whether it will be Perfect Dark (great first game, not so great after) only time will tell. I believe the latter.

One thing i would take issue with is the constant basing of a titles worth upon how many people play it..which is complete rubbish. Popularity may lead to intimacy but it does not validate a games design.

Jeff has his opinions, I have mine. I respect his opinions but they do not always coincide with mine...i.e DC vs Mortal Kombat.

Perhaps I'm just very cynical when it comes to Halo and am dismissing it out of hand, ive been burned too many times by Halo games. But i do appreciate the argument and the civility you showed. It makes a nice change to the usual shouting games.
    nick69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By nick69
    @RiotBananas: I just a what bitch?
    Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Manatassi
    @Jazz said:
    " Well argued, then again i state my opinion clearly at the beginning as being an opinion, second time around at least.
    Indeed i do not like FPSs to a degree, but i did say that Halo on the original xbox was one of my favourite gaming experiences of all time. So much so i played it to legendary.
    I would also discount my need to disrespect it due to its platform, as i feel the same about Infamous. Again, an opinion..granted it may have come across as a statement, to which i can only apologise. I have the same problem with Gears of War 2. Gears was a great game, but 2 just did nothing for me. 

What Credentials has Halo got exactly? Its a popular franchise which has sold tons, and been well reviewed. If thats what is needed for a great franchise, well that covers quite a few areas. Pokemon, Dungeon Quest, Battlefield, Guitar Hero. This isnt what i'd call a great franchise though....Is Mass Effect a great franchise? The storytelling, control, investment and design is far superior. and there will be more games afterwards...but i still wouldn't attribute it great franchise status.

I honestly think that the great franchises are those we play 10+ years after release. The original sonic games on the megadrive, mario, doom, geeze even golden axe. Whether people will hold Halo with the same amount of reverence as they do doom, or whether it will be Perfect Dark (great first game, not so great after) only time will tell. I believe the latter.

One thing i would take issue with is the constant basing of a titles worth upon how many people play it..which is complete rubbish. Popularity may lead to intimacy but it does not validate a games design.

Jeff has his opinions, I have mine. I respect his opinions but they do not always coincide with mine...i.e DC vs Mortal Kombat.

Perhaps I'm just very cynical when it comes to Halo and am dismissing it out of hand, ive been burned too many times by Halo games. But i do appreciate the argument and the civility you showed. It makes a nice change to the usual shouting games.
    "
    I guess I would say that allot of those series are Great. Halo has had an undeniably large influence over the FPS genre, and I have played through Halo even recently. I find it hard to seperate the three main games from the Trilogy as they feel like parts of a whole to me and thats how I play through them now. 

It did come across as you stating that Halo 2 and 3 were terrible games as fact. Thats pretty Much what I was reacting to. Also I would point out that on the whole most people don't go back on a regular basis and play MGS 1,2 and 3 on anything like a regular basis. They remember these games with nostalgia, and have great memories of playing them. You sited this series as being Great, but looking back I play Doom on XBLA now and then as much as I play through the Halo Series, These games have actually stood the test of time better in terms of gameplay mechanics than something like the original Perfect Dark, which was one of my favorite games of all time. Comparing Halo 2 and 3 to Perfect Dark Zero just feel weird to me. At the very least I could see those games being accused of being more of the same, but certainly not somehow a degeneration of the series. Personally I love the Trilogy and Certainly can see myself coming back to play it again in 10 years time. 

Obviously no-one can predict where the series will go from here other than Microsoft and Bungie. But to suggest that MGS is a great series, Resident Evil is a great series and Final Fantasy is a great series without conceding that Halo is just as credible a series at this point is I feel unfair. 

You question exactly what credentials Halo has to be a great series and I would pose the question, what do you consider valid reasons to name a series great?

Halo has had a large influence on its own genre and even others, its one of the biggest selling series of games out there, the games have been accepted with very high critical acclaim, people still play it years after release and there is an extremely large community of people surrounding the franchise. 

Other than these Qualifications what else is there other than personal taste and sense of nostalgia? Both of which are entirely subjective to your own reality. Which would refer back to my initial reaction that your telling a person that they are incorrect to name Halo a great series is either wrong based on the Popularity, influence, critical acclaim and longevity criteria or dependent Upon the personal taste and Nostalgia criteria, which leaves the question why cant they claim the Halo series is great as it meets those criteria for them?

Ergo I would put it that the Halo series is a Great series and it is unfair given the evidence to say anything other than " I did not like the Halo Series and Disliked Halo 2 and 3 as I found them less Enjoyable than the first games due to my personal taste." I feel its unfair and not respectful of the huge amount of enjoyment that fans of the series get from playing the games let alone the great amount of work Bungie go to to create a great game for people to enjoy. 

Hopefully that made sense and you can see where I'm coming from. 

I do feel that Halo gets an unfair share of people attacking it because of its popularity rather than for valid reasons. Which I feel is unfair and often borders on rude whe you consider that people put a great deal into making games and do actually read the comments that people make on forums. I feel that if people were more constructive in their comments the gaming industry as a whole would be allot further on than it is now and that we would get what we want far more often. It would be nice if people made it clearer when they disliked a game because of taste rather than the fault of a developer when this is the case. Then developers might take this feedback a little more seriously.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jazz
    @Manatassi: Very nicely put. I can see your point of view, and I can see very little to disagree with...apart from the point about popularity.
    I just can't see popularity and how many people enjoy it as a mark of a good game. Of course its highly objective, but this still makes no sense to me. Perhaps I'm missing something. The majority is not always right.
    Whether Halo was popular or not, I still feel i would lever the same faults with the series as a whole. I know its highly popular i just don't understand why. Would it still have been as popular without the media blitz every..5...seconds? Of course thats impossible to answer..perhaps it would have been. I know I preordered Halo 2 as soon as possible.
    Another thing is respecting the enjoyment fans get from the game and Bungie for making it..I'm not sure what you're trying to get at there. It was my opinion, you don't come across as a fanboy so i wont demean you with the title, but people who love a series due to its console or for some irrelevant reasons don't really deserve a large amount of respect. As you would also point out the reverse is true. I feel a large amount  of Halo's praise comes from the hype and bandwagon, not for its, in my opinion, subpar gameplay past the first game. Perhaps the first game set the bar so high it was hard to surpass...but ever time i hear people going on about how wonderful the Halo series is I tend to twitch slightly.
    I mean no disrespect to Bungie of course, not intentionally at least, I enjoyed marathon on my mac when it first came out and myth as well...I just feel that they lost the plot when the Halo thing exploded and design went out in favour of keeping microsoft happy, which thankfully they got fed up of doing.
    It would be impossible for the industry to take into account comments on neutral forums such as this....too many people want too many different things. You can't please everyone, so just make the game you want and if people don't like it, they wont buy it...and they will bitch about it anyway. Its the era we live in.
    I agree my original comment was brash and off the cuff and I apologise if it seemed unfair., but i stand by my belief that Halo is not a great franchise. I can understand why others would believe it is...but I disagree.
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Hype happens with everything.  Look at movies like Lost in Space for example.  There was hype for it *everywhere* before it was released, constant adverts, action figures, promotions, etc.  When the movie was released, people hated it.  If you disagree with the game being good, that's one thing but you can't blame all of it's sucess on hype alone, if people didn't like the games it would be very evident by now.  I continue to play the Halo games because I do enjoy them a lot, it's easily one of my favourite games franchises, and yes, I'd play it over something like Half-Life 2 or Call of Duty.

If you disagree, that's okay, but I don't see why the haters constantly feel the need to go on about it like this.  I personally think Metal Gear Solid 4 is one of the most overrated games ever, it paled in comparasion to the third, it was drawn out, filled with needless cameos, almost entirely filler up until the fourth chapter..  and worst of all, it had terrible gameplay.  But that's not the point, the point is, I don't feel the need to bash the game at every given oppertunity, yet those who don't like Halo do.

I think you've stated your opinion very clearly at this point, I see no need to try and push it any further.

Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Manatassi
    @Jazz said:
    " @Manatassi: Very nicely put. I can see your point of view, and I can see very little to disagree with...apart from the point about popularity.
    I just can't see popularity and how many people enjoy it as a mark of a good game. Of course its highly objective, but this still makes no sense to me. Perhaps I'm missing something. The majority is not always right.
    Whether Halo was popular or not, I still feel i would lever the same faults with the series as a whole. I know its highly popular i just don't understand why. Would it still have been as popular without the media blitz every..5...seconds? Of course thats impossible to answer..perhaps it would have been. I know I preordered Halo 2 as soon as possible.
    Another thing is respecting the enjoyment fans get from the game and Bungie for making it..I'm not sure what you're trying to get at there. It was my opinion, you don't come across as a fanboy so i wont demean you with the title, but people who love a series due to its console or for some irrelevant reasons don't really deserve a large amount of respect. As you would also point out the reverse is true. I feel a large amount  of Halo's praise comes from the hype and bandwagon, not for its, in my opinion, subpar gameplay past the first game. Perhaps the first game set the bar so high it was hard to surpass...but ever time i hear people going on about how wonderful the Halo series is I tend to twitch slightly.
    I mean no disrespect to Bungie of course, not intentionally at least, I enjoyed marathon on my mac when it first came out and myth as well...I just feel that they lost the plot when the Halo thing exploded and design went out in favour of keeping microsoft happy, which thankfully they got fed up of doing.
    It would be impossible for the industry to take into account comments on neutral forums such as this....too many people want too many different things. You can't please everyone, so just make the game you want and if people don't like it, they wont buy it...and they will bitch about it anyway. Its the era we live in.
    I agree my original comment was brash and off the cuff and I apologise if it seemed unfair., but i stand by my belief that Halo is not a great franchise. I can understand why others would believe it is...but I disagree.
    "
     Coolio, just a note. The comment about respecting the enjoyment people get out of a franchise and the people who make it wasn't necessarily referring to you I was including the people who just start shouting "Halo is shit I hate halo it sucks and people who like Halo suck" without any apparent reasoning other than allot of other people like something they don't and that seems to make them angry. You came off looking a little like part of this group at first. Sorry about the misconception 

@RiotBananas said:
    " @raikoh05 said:
    " @sdauz: that has changed. halo wars, odst, reach and however many more games microsoft will make to milk the halo name once bungie moves on. "
    Can you blame them for Milking the Halo Cow? Gullible fucks everywhere still buy the games! "

Thats the kind of comment I was referring to. just because I like a different game than RiotBananas apparently that makes me a "Gullible fuck". 

I think this kind of attitude is just negative without any merit. Sometimes I think we get confused with the difference between freedom of speech and just being rude and obnoxious because we can online. I have no doubts that RiotBananas wouldn't stand around in an area full of people who play games and shout out that a large section of them are "Gullible fucks" . And if they are the kind of person that would do that then they will find themselves in rather unfortunate positions throughout their life.

P.S. ignore my crappy phrasing \ typos in the last post it was the middle of the night :)

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Coolio.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jazz
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " Hype happens with everything.  Look at movies like Lost in Space for example.  There was hype for it *everywhere* before it was released, constant adverts, action figures, promotions, etc.  When the movie was released, people hated it.  If you disagree with the game being good, that's one thing but you can't blame all of it's sucess on hype alone, if people didn't like the games it would be very evident by now.  I continue to play the Halo games because I do enjoy them a lot, it's easily one of my favourite games franchises, and yes, I'd play it over something like Half-Life 2 or Call of Duty.If you disagree, that's okay, but I don't see why the haters constantly feel the need to go on about it like this.  I personally think Metal Gear Solid 4 is one of the most overrated games ever, it paled in comparasion to the third, it was drawn out, filled with needless cameos, almost entirely filler up until the fourth chapter..  and worst of all, it had terrible gameplay.  But that's not the point, the point is, I don't feel the need to bash the game at every given oppertunity, yet those who don't like Halo do.I think you've stated your opinion very clearly at this point, I see no need to try and push it any further. "
    I wasn't really pushing the point any further, I was just trying to come to an understanding with Manatassi..thats all
    . Obviously on this forum i am in the minority, but that doesnt make me any more wrong than you.
    I also have never written about Halo ever, before this conversation, so i hardly bash it at every opportunity. I had an opinion on what i believe to be a highly overrated series and i gave it, if albeit clumsily, and you just took the opportunity to do exactly what i did to the Halo series in regards to MGS4 while saying not to..which is rather hypocritical.
    I didnt base my statement around hype alone, Halo is a social phenomenon. This alone guarantees it being played in millions of households around the world and has no bearing on how good the game actually is. Just as Harry Potter is a social phenomenon..millions buy them and love them, but they are not particularly well written and Rowlings characterisation and plotting have a lot to be desired...yet they sell.
    However, as you say, I have made my point clear and I will stop now from trying to explain myself further.
    I appreciate the civility throughout though.

@Manatassi; I'm glad we agree to disagree..I hope ODST and Reach work out well for you. I'll stick to my SMT games though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.