Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo

Franchise »

The franchise that defined the Xbox, Halo contains some of the most popular games ever released. The Halo FPS titles are revered for their excellent gamepad control and high-quality online multiplayer. The franchise now contains novels, soda tie-ins, an RTS spin-off, toys, and more.

Halo: Combat Evolved HD Remake Wishlist

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By calidan777

With all the rumors surrounding a supposed 10th Anniversary Halo: Combat Evolved HD Remake, I thought it would be fun to create a list of things I would like to see, and maybe a few that I wouldn't. So without further ado, here we go:

1. Brand New Graphics Engine Don't get me wrong, even to this day Halo: CE is still a beautiful game to look at, but if I'm going to buy it again I want a complete overhaul. The first rumor that pointed to the game running on the Reach engine is the optimal situation for me. Having it be the first Halo game not developed by Bungie is bad enough, having a new engine made by someone else seems even worse. I say use the Reach engine because it was made for Halo, it looks beautiful, and it's already there waiting to be used.
    2. Achievements Considering that it would be an Xbox360 game, this goes without saying, but I would like them to be unique. Halo: CE was filled with Easter Eggs that players could find if they were determined enough. I say that would make for some great achievements. Legendary runs, co-op Legendary runs, stealing the Banshee and skipping the last half of Assault on the Control Room (or getting the Banshee in the part of AotCR right after you get the tank, but before you go underground, that part's pretty tricky), shooting Captain Keyes, or killing Zuka 'Zamamee in the elevator on The Maw would all make for cool achievements.
    3. Online Co-op This is a must, in this day and age having co-op that isn't online just doesn't cut it. It doesn't have to be more than 2 players, although if it ran on the Reach engine everything would already be there to do up to 4. Either way, I want co-op and I want it online, make it happen Microsoft.
    4. Theater Mode We don't need all the modes from Halo: Reach like FireFight and Forge to be in Halo: CE, but I would love to have the Theater Mode. Saving films of awesome games is a mode worthy of any game.
    5. Online Multiplayer It has to have this. No excuses, online multiplayer had better be in any remake of Halo: CE. That's the one thing that the original didn't have and that's the main thing that those of us that still love Halo: CE want to see. No online multiplayer, no buy.
    6. Halo PC Additions Halo PC was really the definitive version of Halo: CE as it featured everything the Xbox original did, but it also had online multiplayer, higher res graphics, the Banshee, Flame Thrower, Fuel Rod Cannon, a new Rocket 'Hog in multiplayer, and 6 new multiplayer maps. I would love to see all of these things in a Halo: CE remake, especially the maps. The 6 Halo PC maps were some of my favorites, especially Timberland and Infinty.
    7. Continuation of the Single Player Campaign Now I know that this one is a long shot but it would still be awesome. The 3rd Halo novel titled, "First Strike", picked up directly where Halo: CE left off and told the story that took place between Halo: CE and Halo 2. There was some great stuff happening including the Master Chief returning to a glassed Reach and finding members of his Spartan team still alive, as well as introducing us to the SMG and the Battle Rifle. There is also a huge fight on a Covenant docking station that includes Brutes, all things that were introduced in Halo 2. Like I said, I know it's a long shot, but this would be so friggin' awesome if they did something like this.

Things I don't want to see

1. New Guns I don't want to see anyone trying to inject weapons from later Halo games into Halo: CE, it just wouldn't work. If they added some new single player missions after the main story then great, add newer guns, but don't try to shoehorn them into the original storyline, it just wouldn't work. Same goes for vehicles.
    2. New Controls One of the things that makes Halo: CE so great are the controls. Halo: CE's controls had a very ..... organic feel to them, and they still feel great to this day. So please, whoever (if ever?) is making this, don't fix what ain't broke.
    3. New Music/ Voice Actors Now I know the gut reaction is to say that they would never do this, but still, anyone involved in remaking the original Halo should be warned that 50% of what made Halo: CE great was the Music and voice acting (in my opinion).
    4. Alterations to the Original Storyline Again, seems like a no-brainer, but we all know how people love to put their mark on things. So here's to hoping they don't screw up the single player campaign by adding or changing things.

Well that's all I got for now, let me know what y'all would like to see or not see in a Halo: CE remake.

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By calidan777

With all the rumors surrounding a supposed 10th Anniversary Halo: Combat Evolved HD Remake, I thought it would be fun to create a list of things I would like to see, and maybe a few that I wouldn't. So without further ado, here we go:

1. Brand New Graphics Engine Don't get me wrong, even to this day Halo: CE is still a beautiful game to look at, but if I'm going to buy it again I want a complete overhaul. The first rumor that pointed to the game running on the Reach engine is the optimal situation for me. Having it be the first Halo game not developed by Bungie is bad enough, having a new engine made by someone else seems even worse. I say use the Reach engine because it was made for Halo, it looks beautiful, and it's already there waiting to be used.
    2. Achievements Considering that it would be an Xbox360 game, this goes without saying, but I would like them to be unique. Halo: CE was filled with Easter Eggs that players could find if they were determined enough. I say that would make for some great achievements. Legendary runs, co-op Legendary runs, stealing the Banshee and skipping the last half of Assault on the Control Room (or getting the Banshee in the part of AotCR right after you get the tank, but before you go underground, that part's pretty tricky), shooting Captain Keyes, or killing Zuka 'Zamamee in the elevator on The Maw would all make for cool achievements.
    3. Online Co-op This is a must, in this day and age having co-op that isn't online just doesn't cut it. It doesn't have to be more than 2 players, although if it ran on the Reach engine everything would already be there to do up to 4. Either way, I want co-op and I want it online, make it happen Microsoft.
    4. Theater Mode We don't need all the modes from Halo: Reach like FireFight and Forge to be in Halo: CE, but I would love to have the Theater Mode. Saving films of awesome games is a mode worthy of any game.
    5. Online Multiplayer It has to have this. No excuses, online multiplayer had better be in any remake of Halo: CE. That's the one thing that the original didn't have and that's the main thing that those of us that still love Halo: CE want to see. No online multiplayer, no buy.
    6. Halo PC Additions Halo PC was really the definitive version of Halo: CE as it featured everything the Xbox original did, but it also had online multiplayer, higher res graphics, the Banshee, Flame Thrower, Fuel Rod Cannon, a new Rocket 'Hog in multiplayer, and 6 new multiplayer maps. I would love to see all of these things in a Halo: CE remake, especially the maps. The 6 Halo PC maps were some of my favorites, especially Timberland and Infinty.
    7. Continuation of the Single Player Campaign Now I know that this one is a long shot but it would still be awesome. The 3rd Halo novel titled, "First Strike", picked up directly where Halo: CE left off and told the story that took place between Halo: CE and Halo 2. There was some great stuff happening including the Master Chief returning to a glassed Reach and finding members of his Spartan team still alive, as well as introducing us to the SMG and the Battle Rifle. There is also a huge fight on a Covenant docking station that includes Brutes, all things that were introduced in Halo 2. Like I said, I know it's a long shot, but this would be so friggin' awesome if they did something like this.

Things I don't want to see

1. New Guns I don't want to see anyone trying to inject weapons from later Halo games into Halo: CE, it just wouldn't work. If they added some new single player missions after the main story then great, add newer guns, but don't try to shoehorn them into the original storyline, it just wouldn't work. Same goes for vehicles.
    2. New Controls One of the things that makes Halo: CE so great are the controls. Halo: CE's controls had a very ..... organic feel to them, and they still feel great to this day. So please, whoever (if ever?) is making this, don't fix what ain't broke.
    3. New Music/ Voice Actors Now I know the gut reaction is to say that they would never do this, but still, anyone involved in remaking the original Halo should be warned that 50% of what made Halo: CE great was the Music and voice acting (in my opinion).
    4. Alterations to the Original Storyline Again, seems like a no-brainer, but we all know how people love to put their mark on things. So here's to hoping they don't screw up the single player campaign by adding or changing things.

Well that's all I got for now, let me know what y'all would like to see or not see in a Halo: CE remake.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By samfo

Im not sure online multi is such a no brainer. It will segregate the Halo Reach user base.    And I actually think news guns could be okay, or at least some of the guns from reach would make sense.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

2. Is gonna happen cause they are gonna re release it. Any way they slice it xbox games are required to have achivments. 

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By nintendoeats

Soooo...you want Halo: Reach with different guns and substantially worse level design?

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By blueduck

All Halo books after the first two were total shit and by that I mean they were the equivalent of a standard video game book. When they remake Halo I don't want anything from any other Halo game making an appearance and reminding me what happened to the series.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By toowalrus

Absolutely, I agree with just about every point. Can't wait.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Afroman269

Ya I really would like to see that running on the Reach engine. Also I don't see why you would want multiplayer. Is it just for the old weapons and maps? I just want to play the single player again but with the better engine. If I want multiplayer, I'll go to Reach.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

You know what I think would awesome. If the Halo: CE remake was an add-on for Halo Reach instead of a full game. Since Reach's credits play during the opening of Halo 1 they could have the game just keep going. That would be so cool. 
    Also they should call this remake, "Halo: Combat More Evolved."

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By gamb1t

I wish this horrible franchise would die.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I pretty much agree with you with a few exceptions. I think the biggest point where my opinion differs from yours is that I do not want to see 343 attempt a continuation of the Combat Evolved campaign. If they want to do the original Halo justice then they'll leave the gameplay and story almost exactly as it was, just because they could continue the story from where Combat Evolved ended doesn't mean they should. Bungie did a fine job on all of that and there's no real reason to go messing with it. I wouldn't mind new controls, while I think it's very important that there's an option to use the original Combat Evolved control scheme I thought the variety of control schemes the later games offered were a great addition for those who could play better with different control layouts. I also wouldn't be opposed to them redoing some of the voices but only if they could get the original voice cast to do them.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

If it has online multiplayer it could and probably should be like what they did with ODST.
    ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By ez123

Those sound nice, even the ones you don't want are alright with me. I'll just add that I wish for Hang Em High to be excluded.  

@FiestaUnicorn said:

" If it has online multiplayer it could and probably should be like what they did with ODST. "
    I'd be alright with that and it makes sense.  Those maps would take over Reach online.
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By calidan777
    @SamFo:  That's true, but you could also argue that Halo 3 is segregating Reach's user base, or vice-versa. And I thought about the Reach guns since it's a sequel but I think I'd still rather have CE be just the way I remember it.
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By calidan777
    @nintendoeats:  Yes and no. I do want the Halo: CE guns, but I disagree about the level design. I actually love CE's level design, even the repetitous parts

@blueduck: That is your opinion, my opinion is that all of the Halo novels are fantastic.

@TooWalrus: Thanks!

@Afroman269: Well I really like the simplicity of CE's multiplayer. I love Reach, but there are things about it's multiplayer that really piss me off. I also was really into the homebrew scene on the original Xbox and had some really fantastic user-made Halo: CE maps that I used to play with my friends all the time. Not to mention all the lan parties.

@wasteguru: I agree 100%. Everything you said would be awesome.

@Gamer_152: Yeah, you make a great point. I guess when I was writing that I was thinking in the context of Bungie making it, but that wouldn't be the case and therefore I'm inclined to agree with you. When I was talking about the controls I was actually talking about how they "felt" and not the actual button layouts. And I agree on the voices, but if they couldn't get the original cast I would be 100% against it.

@FiestaUnicorn: You mean like having a second disc that has the Halo: Reach multiplayer on it? Or are you talking about how they handled Firefight and have it not include matchmaking?

@ez123: What?!?! No Hang 'em High?? That would be a crime!! lol, seriously though I can't believe you don't like Hang 'em High, lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.