Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo

Franchise »

The franchise that defined the Xbox, Halo contains some of the most popular games ever released. The Halo FPS titles are revered for their excellent gamepad control and high-quality online multiplayer. The franchise now contains novels, soda tie-ins, an RTS spin-off, toys, and more.

Ridley Scott Is producing new Halo "Movie."

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Untitled Feature Length 'Halo' Project to be Produced by Ridley Scott? | http://t.co/QZ1iRnM1Xphttp://t.co/uUzFT2MrTE via @scifiedcom

— Production Weekly (@prodweek) January 12, 2014
    No Caption Provided

SciFied: Untitled Feature Length 'Halo' Project to be Produced by Ridley Scott?

Since that particular tweet, Production Weekly's twitter has not clarified if they really meant the Halo TV series that Steven Spielberg was doing. Which wouldn't make sense really, because Spielberg is producing that, and so Scott and Spielberg can't both produce the same Halo thing, and so.. Hm.

Ridley Scott's last couple of big movies include Prometheus, Robin Hood, and of course Aliens and such, etc. Prometheus 2 still seems to be in the works, so math considered, this Halo movie would then come out after Prometheus 2, somewhere past 2015. Or you know, whatever. And then an upcoming Blade Runner thing.

Those tweets also mention that a Paul Scheurig is writing the Halo movie, who apparently wrote FOX's Prison Break show, and some Adrien Brody/Forest Whitaker vehicle. :/

Considering that Halo 5 is still absolutely still coming out somewhere near the end of 2014, a nice epilogue or DLC pack thing would be nice to keep the Halo'ness going into 2015, alongside this movie and such. Or like, Spartan Ops?.

And you know, all things considered, I would much rather a movie that was made by Scott, all bad-ass and Prometheusy, than whatever Peter Jackson/Neil Blompkamp were doing. Hobbit, District 9, Elysium?. Mm, Prometheus is really fucking "bad-ass", comparatively.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

You mean Halo 5 is still coming out right? Because if not dude they made Halo 4, and it wasn't bad.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilsbane: Yea, alright. Thanks. Go get yourself a gold sticker, because those are pretty good. :D

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

We've been yanked around about potential Halo movie for goddamn ever now. Does anyone at this point care?

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

Uh....

Elysium was kind of the best Halo movie ever made. Prometheus... yeah. Not so much.

As far as news of Ridley Scott going near Halo; why the hell not? It's not my favourite franchise. If he wants to ruin it by all means.

I personally really liked Prometheus.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jsnyder82: All of Prometheus' issues were outside of Ridley Scott's purview. Atmospherically, tonally, that film's direction was on point. Its unfortunate script did it no favors.

Put a writer on the project who can handle both world-building and interpersonal throughlines of tension (like Alex Garland, who penned the original Blomkamp script) and suddenly things get interesting.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really think Ridley Scott could nail the look of Halo. To be honest though I'm getting real sick of reading about the halo move. I'll get excited when I read that they've actually starting shooting. Until then it's all just talk and likely to fall through like all the other attempts to make a Halo movie.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Elysium was alright, it was nothing spectacular though. It was no District 9.

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LucidDreams117

Hmmmmm. I could get behind this. But like everything else Halo movie related, I'll just chalk it up to pure rumour for now. It actually makes me happy that Microsoft is such a hard ass about this movie. Do it when it's done right. Cause video game movies have rarely been good. Any one actually excited for Need for Speed?

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baillie: My main problem with the film was how extremely on-the-nose it was with its politics. District 9 wasn't exactly subtle either, but Elysium...man, biggest dissapointment of 2013 for me.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blu3v3nom07 said:

Uh....

Elysium was kind of the best Halo movie ever made. Prometheus... yeah. Not so much.

As far as news of Ridley Scott going near Halo; why the hell not? It's not my favourite franchise. If he wants to ruin it by all means.

How are Prometheus and a Halo move even related?

I'm one of the people who loved the movie so I guess we won't see eye to eye.

And Ridley Scott... I guess he ruins a lot of stuff? I think he's one of the best directors of all time and he has great range. I wouldn't be surprised if his Halo movie would be great. But who knows if that even happens.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Isn't he one of those Spielberg type dudes who has a producer credit on a whole bunch of stuff that he probably didn't have that much to do with?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@hunter5024 said:

Isn't he one of those Spielberg type dudes who has a producer credit on a whole bunch of stuff that he probably didn't have that much to do with?

Yes basically. He produces a lot of TV shows and movies. I don't know how much he's involved in them all, but yeah.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Producing being the key word.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jsnyder82: Hey! I kinda enjoyed it too. But it was a massive disappointing coming from the Director of Alien, Gladiator, Blade Runner etc..

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since no one's out and out saying it, I guess I will:

Prometheus was a terrible movie, and you're all funky for liking it.

Alright, with that out of the way, let's talk about the Halo movie... It's not happening.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads said:

@oldirtybearon said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

Uh....

And Ridley Scott... I guess he ruins a lot of stuff? I think he's one of the best directors of all time and he has great range. I wouldn't be surprised if his Halo movie would be great. But who knows if that even happens.

Ridley Scott has a fantastic artistic eye and can make a man pooping look good. His blind spot is story and script choice. Prometheus was the biggest example of that considering they took a decent-to-good Alien script and turned it into, well, Prometheus.

It looked amazing; Prometheus I mean. I don't think anyone would deny that. However Prometheus is the perfect example of when style overtakes substance. It's a box of nothing wrapped up in fantastic visuals. Like a hollow chocolate bunny. Considering Scott's history I'm not sure he'd have the awareness or even understand what's appealing about Halo and its lore. My guess is he'd do what he did to Alien Prequel; look at the script, decide that's not what he wanted to do, throw it out, and get Damon Lindelof to write a much shittier version and call it, I don't know, The Great Journey.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RazielCuts

We've been yanked around about potential Halo movie for goddamn ever now. Does anyone at this point care?

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Deranged

@amyggen said:

@baillie: My main problem with the film was how extremely on-the-nose it was with its politics. District 9 wasn't exactly subtle either, but Elysium...man, biggest dissapointment of 2013 for me.

Elysium was a pretty sweet movie but fuck, that shaky cam absolutely RUINED every action sequence in the film. Blomkamp is terrible with those pieces.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@bigjeffrey:

Oh, THAT's what a glint-suppressing honeycomb looks like.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Sounds cool. It'll probably come out after every other video game movie in the works for the past decade.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blu3v3nom07: I love Ridley Scott, he's made some of the greatest movies ever but dude if you think Prometheus was better then District 9 you are cuh-razy!

@artisanbreads said:

@oldirtybearon said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

Uh....

Ridley Scott has a fantastic artistic eye and can make a man pooping look good. His blind spot is story and script choice. Prometheus was the biggest example of that considering they took a decent-to-good Alien script and turned it into, well, Prometheus.

It looked amazing; Prometheus I mean. I don't think anyone would deny that. However Prometheus is the perfect example of when style overtakes substance. It's a box of nothing wrapped up in fantastic visuals. Like a hollow chocolate bunny. Considering Scott's history I'm not sure he'd have the awareness or even understand what's appealing about Halo and its lore. My guess is he'd do what he did to Alien Prequel; look at the script, decide that's not what he wanted to do, throw it out, and get Damon Lindelof to write a much shittier version and call it, I don't know, The Great Journey.

That is a pretty great summation. Gorgeous movie but not much else going for it.

I'd be up for seeing what he'd do with Halo though, I think even with his misses he's still a hell of a film maker and I'd rather have him on it then some hack. Still disappointed we didn't get a Blomkamp Halo though that would have been really cool.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

This is interesting but worrying. Though I'm always worried about the future of Halo I guess. And rating a movie because you consider it to be more "badass" than another producers' work doesn't fill me with faith.

Prometheus was entertaining and nice looking but also a horribly flawed and shallow movie. I guess something similar could be said about Elysium but I think it was a better movie.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bigjeffrey

Untitled Feature Length 'Halo' Project to be Produced by Ridley Scott? | http://t.co/QZ1iRnM1Xphttp://t.co/uUzFT2MrTE via @scifiedcom

— Production Weekly (@prodweek) January 12, 2014
    No Caption Provided

SciFied: Untitled Feature Length 'Halo' Project to be Produced by Ridley Scott?

Since that particular tweet, Production Weekly's twitter has not clarified if they really meant the Halo TV series that Steven Spielberg was doing. Which wouldn't make sense really, because Spielberg is producing that, and so Scott and Spielberg can't both produce the same Halo thing, and so.. Hm.

Ridley Scott's last couple of big movies include Prometheus, Robin Hood, and of course Aliens and such, etc. Prometheus 2 still seems to be in the works, so math considered, this Halo movie would then come out after Prometheus 2, somewhere past 2015. Or you know, whatever. And then an upcoming Blade Runner thing.

Those tweets also mention that a Paul Scheurig is writing the Halo movie, who apparently wrote FOX's Prison Break show, and some Adrien Brody/Forest Whitaker vehicle. :/

Considering that Halo 5 is still absolutely still coming out somewhere near the end of 2014, a nice epilogue or DLC pack thing would be nice to keep the Halo'ness going into 2015, alongside this movie and such. Or like, Spartan Ops?.

And you know, all things considered, I would much rather a movie that was made by Scott, all bad-ass and Prometheusy, than whatever Peter Jackson/Neil Blompkamp were doing. Hobbit, District 9, Elysium?. Mm, Prometheus is really fucking "bad-ass", comparatively.

TURNED OUT TO BE TRUE!!!

The feature will be released later this year and will be executive produced by Scott and Scott Free TV President David Zucker. Sergio Mimica-Gezzan (Battlestar Galactica, Heroes) will direct the feature.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/03/ridley-scott-and-microsoft-team-for-halo-digital-feature

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By crithon

man, I feel like I'm time traveling..... wasn't Ridley Scott one of the rumored directors involved of Halo movie back in 2004? I just recalled even DelToro talked about redesigning the suit was an influence behind Hellboy 2's Johann Krauss.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.