Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hamburger

Object » linked to 362 games

A hamburger is a hunk of ground beef served between two pieces of bun-configured bread. Hamburgers are often served with a variety of toppings and condiments. It is named for the region in which it was invented, not for the kind of meat (as is often mistakenly suggested).

Boiling a burger

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Vodun

Was at a local festival today and discovered something I must try when I make my own burgers next time. I ate at a chilean stall who made amongst other things, burgers. And I noticed they boiled the patties before grilling them. It was one of the tastiest fricken burgers I've ever eaten and there was a real nice taste and juiciness from it being boiled.

I'm definitely trying this and wanted to share this, at least to me, ludicrous concept of boiling your burgers.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Subjugation

@Vodun said:

ludicrous concept of boiling your burgers.

I'm curious to hear how this turns out. I've never seen a burger boiled before. Sounds pretty odd to be honest, although I'm sure there was some reason behind it.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ThePaleKing

Wouldn't the patty fall apart during the boiling? 

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vodun

@ThePaleKing: It seems not, considering how it tasted it also seemed to keep the juices in better than a straight fry/grill as well.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By swoxx

I shall have your head, sir! For suggesting such a dishonorable preparation of the holy hamburger!

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By alternate

hmm, I don't see how you stop the water leeching out all the taste of the meat.  Maybe they just added a ton of MSG to the water and that is why you are so high on it :D

GeneralDAS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By GeneralDAS

Ughh, just not a good idea. Boiling a burger a certain way may keep it "moist", but the juiciness is going to come the from water, not the meat itself. There is also a high chance the burger will get overcooked, or just fall apart in the water. The reason pan frying, grilling, etc is a time tested method is because you are either preserving flavor, or creating it, by either cooking it in its own juices, or adding smokiness from the grill. And obviously you are utilizing the Maillard reaction in the process (browning). I'm glad to hear they at least sear it off after boiling instead of just serving it right out of of the water. But chances are they don't dry off the meat before searing it, meaning a longer browning time, which also means a dryer burger.

I remember I tried a steamed burger once, since it was a popular specialty at this diner nearby. Dry, overcooked, and no flavor.

But whatever man, do what you please.

Oh, if you want a related pop culture quote, listen to Chef's rant in Apocalypse Now regarding Navy prime rib.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Vexxan

Boiling a hamburger sounds so wrong.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Boiled burgers? What's next, mashed potatoes?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.