Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Harmonix Music Systems

Company »

Harmonix Music Systems are the creative developers behind many music / rhythm games. They were founded on March 1, 1995 in Cambridge Massachusetts by Alex Rigopulos and Eran Egozy. They were acquired by Epic Games in November 2021.

Harmonix announces their next game, DropMix

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By cloudymusic

Harmonix has posted a blog post announcing their next game, entitled DropMix, which seems like a slight departure from their more traditional video games. It's a physical card-based game that also communicates with a phone app, which will be used to emit music as well as keep score. The basic idea is that you lay down cards (which represent songs) to create custom song mixes on the fly versus another human player. At the same time, the core gameplay involves playing cards in an attempt to reach a count of 21, though, so who knows how that will actually mesh with the idea of making music mixes. They're partnering with Hasbro to manufacture the actual physical board, which I imagine will have Bluetooth in it to talk to your phone.

No Caption Provided

It's an interesting idea, and card-based video game hybrids are certainly popular these days in certain areas, as Drew can attest to after his recent trip to Japan. The song selection seems decent, and they say they're planning for at least 300 cards to be available, so there would be lots of room for variety, at least. However, I'm uncertain about the notion of having to lug around a big(-ish) plastic thing to be able to actually play this game, and doubly so if the game really does only feature head-to-head play like the blog post seems to suggest, with no single-player option. On top of that, between the board and the cards, what's the actual cost of this thing going to end up being? Do they expect people to buy booster packs to get more cards? What will those cost?

It's not due out until September, so at least we'll be able to learn more about it in the coming months.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well it's definitely a departure and I am happy they are taking a risk. I hope it works out. Will be very interested to see what the actual gameplay is like.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

It looks and sounds interesting so depending on the price I might give it a whirl. I have a lot of musically inclined friends that would also probably be into this and play with me.

On a happy note I am glad to see that they are taking this risk. A couple years ago it seemed like Harmonix was in dire financial straits so I hope this means they are in a better place where they can take on these types of projects.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Well that's something. I like the tabletop gaming idea. The big questions are obviously how the game will actually play from a mechanics standpoint, and how well the music mixes. It'd be a shame if the gameplay was fun but the music didn't mix well most of the time.

Also curious if the mixing if the music plays any part in it. Does the musical aspect have any impact on the gameplay? Does the game necessitate the music?

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

This seems real crazy, like to the point where it feels like it would never have made it to this stage of development without it actually being really good so I guess I'm excited for this!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

What.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That is fucking bizarre. I'm into it.

I like Harmonix's current "experimental" phase, and I hope it works out for them. Music VR got a tepid response, but I thought it was cool as hell.

saispag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is going to bomb so hard. Depending on how hard they lean into this, this could be the last thing they do

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saispag said:

This is going to bomb so hard. Depending on how hard they lean into this, this could be the last thing they do

what would you suggest they do, make another rock band? we know that tactic won't work out for them. it's risky but i'm happy they're trying something new.

saispag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saispag said:

what would you suggest they do, make another rock band? we know that tactic won't work out for them. it's risky but i'm happy they're trying something new.

No but it just looks bad. The time of buying plastic crap to play music appears to be over with RB and GH both doing so bad. I can't see this really appealing to video gamers or card/board gamers, and its not really mobile enough to play on the go. The tracklist so far is awful as well, the same stuff they've been peddling in every game they've ever made, just dull. Harmonix used to be good but times have changed and this is just bad

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Childish Gambino is on there. Holy shit. Being a fan for so long I often forget that he blew up pretty big.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Seems like a real bad idea to put out such a niche idea as a physical product.

Immediately thinking of that card game with the Playstation eye where little characters popped off the cards.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.