Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Harvest Moon: Sunshine Islands

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Feb 21, 2008

A farming/dating/cooking/fishing/mining simulator where you have to collect stones to create new islands

New Harvest Moon game announced for DS

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By AgentJ

Natsume has released information on a brand new entry in the Harvest Moon series, titled "Harvest Moon: Sunshine Islands", to be sold within the next few months. The twist to this entry in the long-running franchise is the new goal: you are trying to restore the sunshine islands through harvesting. The game first came out in Japan back in February of last year. An appearance at E3 is likely.

There is also a new Wii entry, subtitled "Animal Paradise".
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By oldschool

I am a sucker for Harvest Moon.  I just keep buying them, as was illustrated by getting Island of Happiness for my daughter's 14th birthday - she loved it by the way.

I am just going to keep buying them as they have yet to disappoint me.
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Endogene
    @oldschool: What does she think about how the weather influences the growth of plants? It ruined that game for me and since this will be a sequel i am pretty pessimistic.

For those who don't know in harvest moon crops traditionally take a set number of days of watering to grow however in Island of Happiness the weather has an extreme influence on crops, cloudy weather would slow it down, sunny weather would speed it up but could burn the plants if you give them to much water and since the weather can not be manipulated you never know when your crops will be fully grown and ready for harvest which is extremely annoying if you are "power farming" the game scheduling purchases ahead of time.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By oldschool
    Endogene said:
    @oldschool: What does she think about how the weather influences the growth of plants? It ruined that game for me ... [more]
    She hasn't mentioned it (it is 1.30 am, so I won't wake her to ask).

That sounds like A Wonderful Life on the GameCube, from memory anyway.  Isn't it a way of breaking up what would otherwise be a non-changing repetitive process?  Sounds like a good way of breaking up the challenge.  However, you know more about it than me - damn those 2 save slots  :-(  I never get to play it.
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Endogene
    @oldschool: Wonderfull life is one of the few Harvest Moon games that i did not play so I can't really compare the two systems but in Island of Happiness it only annoyed me. There is no real indication when a crop has two much water so a lot ended up burnt in the sun and bad weather made most crops a pain to grow, there were some turnips for example that took me over 10 days to grow. It is also quite annoying in the start of the game when you need to buy equipments from the peddlers that only comes a certain day because you never know if your crops will be fully grown when he comes, bad weather could make it so you can't ship the crops before he comes and thus not buy the equipment (that would improve your productivity) you were aiming for and will have to wait another week for the peddler to return. The game also has a system which i remember being in one of the N64 or GBA games were people would leave the island if you did not talk to them enough which would be a huge pain if someone important would leave.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oldschool
    Endogene said:
    @oldschool: Wonderfull life is one of the few Harvest Moon games that i did not play so I can't really ... [more]
    Not disagreeing with you, but a lot of that sounds kind of challenging rather than destructive.  The crops one is different though.  In the GC game, you could tell by looking at the crops that they needed water and if you stood next to them and hot the A button, it would tell you that it needed watering.
    Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Axersia

Ugh... how come these games continue to sell? I got burnt out on HM long ago. The original for the SNES and Friends of Mineral Town for GBA (which is really just a 2D remake of Back to Nature/HM64 but better because it doesn't have that crappy isometric camera angle) are all you really need IMO.

Well, except for maybe the Rune Factory series... I haven't gotten into those yet and have been wanting to.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oldschool
    Axersia said:
    Ugh... how come these games continue to sell? I got burnt out on HM long ago. The original for the ... [more]
    I am not burnt out yet  :-)  Well, not on Harvest Moon anyway.

My 16 year old daughter just commented that Island of Happiness is the hardest game yet.  She said 6 times harder to be precise  :-)  She is still playing it though.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Meowayne
    oldschool said:
    I am a sucker for Harvest Moon. I just keep buying them, as was illustrated by getting Island of Happiness ... [more]
    I hope you get Little King's Story, then. That game needs to sell, dude.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool
    Meowayne said:
    oldschool said: I am a sucker for Harvest Moon. I just keep buying them, as was illustrated by getting Island ... [more]
    Just try and stop me  :-)

Sadly, it will only sell in small amounts and before some troll comes on and abuses the Wii over it, it wouldn't sell any better on the PS3 or 360 - it is quite niche.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Meowayne

I don't now. There's a big "Buy Little King's Story" campaign going on over in the gamespot forums, for example. :)
     I don't hold my breath, but slowly the name is getting known.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    Meowayne said:
    I don't now. There's a big "Buy Little King's Story" campaign going on over in the gamespot forums, for example. ... [more]
    I don't think it will help.  Sadly, games like this will be loved by the few who take a chance.

Did you see Dawn of Discovery on my "DS game releases for June" thread?
    Are you going to buy that?

Silly me - of course you are  :-)

We will probably be the 2 people in the world that played that as well :-)
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Meowayne

The first Anno game on the DS sold 30 000 copies in Europe. That's not outstanding, but it's solid for such a title. It seems to have been enough to warrant a DS/Wii sequel. One that must've been expensive, from the looks and sounds of it.

No, I don't worry too much about Little King's Story. And not about Harvest Moon, for that matter. But Dawn of Discovery (Wii) must be advertised more. This title flopping would be unnecessary indeed.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldschool
    Meowayne said:
    The first Anno game on the DS sold 30 000 copies in Europe. That's not outstanding, but it's solid for ... [more]
    Agreed.

I'll do my bit and talk it up after I get it.  It won't be fake talk either - hopefully.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.