Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hatred

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jun 01, 2015

A controversial, dual-joystick shooter from Polish developer, Destructive Creations.

Bought Hatred today! Is it for you?

• 103 results
    Rasdaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Rasdaan

I enjoy Hatred. I'll be honest though, there really isn't that much to it. Its a fun twin stick like shooter, and feels a lot like a modern postal, and every level you have objectives as to where you should go to shoot up next. Police will show up, and you will fight them. And that's about it.

Its not the kind of game I would sit down for a long period of time. But its the kind of game you will pick up time from time and have a fun little session for about an half hour or so.

For 20 bucks, I would probably wait for a sale. 20 bucks could get you Ori and the Blind Forest. ;o

Have you tried Hatred? Do you plan on getting it soon? How was your experience?

Discuss.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I simply don't have any interest in this game.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please consider what kind of messages you're supporting when you give media like this your money.

Rasdaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spoonman671: fair enough! I can easily see why someone wouldn't be interested in that game.

I always enjoyed those mindless shooters though.

Rasdaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rasdaan

@artelinarose: ? I don't think i'm supporting any kind of messages other than video games are fun.

I sincerely hope nobody is so daft to shoot up their neighborhood just because this game does that.

PrimalHorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PrimalHorse

I keep finding the postal comparisons overreaching, it reminds me more of loaded, which was hilarious, dumb and ultra violent with an undead pirate cowboy, Hatred just seems kinda poor. The idea that supporting some sort of message that has been attributed to the game, with no semblance of what this supposed message is by buying it as well seems gross and judgemental. We lived through a world with manunt, we will survive.

Loading Video...

Also great terrible nighties music.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

Nope

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Comparing something to Postal might as well be comparing to a piece of shit, in my eyes.
    So yeah. Not for me.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The footage I've seen has totally made me lose interest. It seems slow paced for this kind of game, I think its trying to scratch the same itch as Hotline Miami but it doesn't compare...

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surprised that it is apparently a decent game. But I still don't like the vibe it is giving me, so I can't imagine that I will ever play it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. I'm not a big fan of twin-stick shooters in general and, watching the Gamespot video with Danny/Andy, I think this one looks exceptionally boring.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#12  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I'll probably pick it up on a discount or something. Seems somewhat interesting, but not so sure it's worth the full price. Certainly seems like a more competent game than the first Postal was, and I did like the Loaded/Re-Loaded games, and many similar games from the late 90's.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Seikenfreak

No thanks.

Edit: Actually, to be a little more constructive, I'll say that it seems like an impressive game from a technical point of view. The find the environment destruction and physics to be quite impressive. It's unfortunate that it's wasted on this game though.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The aesthetic and tone of this game are pretty much diametrically opposed to things I like. Never was into the strange mall-metal "I hate everything" Slipknot facade, or edgy and super grim storytelling. Plus I rarely find hyperrealistic violence fun, be it this game or CoD. I'm more into fantasy and space alien violence. Also I've heard it's kind of a shitty game, and there are plenty of stupendous twin-stick shooters out there to play.

The other red flag for me is how the developers courted the controversy around the game and exploited the anger of people concerned about mass shootings with their game and it's marketing. They're welcome to do whatever they want, of course, but it doesn't make me any more interested in supporting them. The fact that the game seems to be a stinker makes it that much easier to ignore them.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like edgy juvenile trash, and boring to boot.

So no.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Why would anyone get it? The actual game doesn't look that great, there are a lot better dual-joystick shooters out there. Then there's the story/tone of the game... I'm not into being a sadist. I'd also rather not support seemingly shitty developers.

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, I dunno. Might wait for a sale. I watched a short clip of some gameplay and thought it had some interesting ideas, but I've never really been into those kinds of games.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I think the uproar over the morality of it all is really stupid. That being said, it looks incredibly rote. It's a twin-stick shooter in which the only objective is to the kill things, absolutely nothing interesting about that. The writing is good for a laugh, though. Have you heard some of the shit that comes out of Not-Peter-Steele's mouth? My god, it is the most fucking hilariously bad dialogue I've heard in years, and it's being completely un-ironic, to boot.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TB's WTF is.. was more than enough to know the game isn't worth my time.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game is currently #2 on the best selling games list on Steam. I find that kind of interesting. I think there is a large crowd of people that wanted to support it after the whole debacle with the game being taken off of Steam Greenlight.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It really does look like a bad parody of Postal 1 and has the exact same problem as Postal 1 you play two levels of it and it becomes a boring slog, looks nice though and the physics seem neat but beyond that just seems like such an "eh" experience.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't want to cut myself on the all the edge

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is a twin stick shooter that didn't bring anything new to the table. I kind of wish they've worked harder on this game.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe on sale, I remember enjoying postal around the late 90s. but again that was 18 fucking years ago and I don't think that have expanded that much on the format from what I hear.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think people are overreacting when it comes to this game... there's really nothing here to get so offended over. I think the security cam deal looks pretty cool aesthetically, and other than that there isn't anything remarkable about it. It seems perfectly functional if a bit monotonous. I'm kinda with Danny, the AO rating is a mystery to me.

There have been plenty of more graphic as well as more crappy games coming out recently. The marketing for this may have been kinda dumb, but to me it's still nowhere near as dumb as buying in to that and getting upset over it. Again, especially considering all the games that seemingly got a free pass for what's arguably worse than what this game is doing. In the end, the game is a game is a game. We've been over this.

Bottom line: please ignore this title if you want, but can we please drop the hypocritical bandwagon outrage?

That said, I've got too many great games in my backlog to see myself playing this any time soon, if ever.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game is currently #2 on the best selling games list on Steam. I find that kind of interesting. I think there is a large crowd of people that wanted to support it after the whole debacle with the game being taken off of Steam Greenlight.

I mean, it's the only new game of some notoriety coming out today (Lego World came out in early access, but that's early access). So how popular it is after a few days will probably be a good way to judge the popularity of the game.

As for the question in the OP, nah, I'm good. The game looks boring.

NoodleUnit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please consider what kind of messages you're supporting when you give media like this your money.

I'm supporting freedom of expression. If you don't like it, you have the freedom to not play it.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Bleh. Edgy dialogue, dull colors, bad music... You can do so much better in the genre space it inhabits.

Also, a lot of the zoomed in execution stuff looks really similar to the Godfather 2. Anyone remember that game?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did and I support it.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By artelinarose

@noodleunit said:
    @artelinarose said:

I'm supporting freedom of expression. If you don't like it, you have the freedom to not play it.

The only thing falling back on "freedom of expression" really says is that it's a concession admitting that it's awful, just that it's not literally illegal to say it

there's a lot of support of freedom of expression in video games when the dev is a literal nazi who makes a game about white terrorism, but girls in fifa????? NO

grtkbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played it, but I was bored to death by TotalBiscuit's video on it. It would have been unremarkable had the media not made a big fuss about nothing.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artelinarose said:
    @noodleunit said:
    @artelinarose said:

The only thing falling back on "freedom of expression" really says is that it's a concession admitting that it's awful, just that it's not literally illegal to say it

there's a lot of support of freedom of expression in video games when the dev is a literal nazi who makes a game about white terrorism, but girls in fifa????? NO

As far as I know the Nazi allegations were proven false and damn right insulting for people whose families were seriously affected by it. But hey, lets just throw crazy allegations around again.

Also if you support Hatreds right to exist you are automatically against the inclusion of girls in fifa? that makes perfect sense.

strange how I support both though..

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By mike

@tothenines: The Nazi allegations absolutely were proven false. The guy's t-shirt had the logo of a WWII-era Polish resistance group on it, ironically a group that was fighting the Nazis. The developer who was wearing the shirt explained this over six months ago.

But hey, the damage was done, because here we are still talking about the developers of Hatred being Nazis. That accusation was completely baseless and false and only really ever took hold on Tumblr. The worst part is, the original Tumblr blog where many of these rumors started never actually cited a single source, and the one source it did cite (The t-shirt) was obviously wrong.

This game isn't for me and I think it's kind of gross, but labeling one or all of the developers as "nazis" based on no real evidence whatsoever is irresponsible and wrong.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By kindgineer

@noodleunit said:
    @artelinarose said:

Sadly, no such argument can really be made in an industry that constantly backs the ideas that sex and violence are the same thing, or that you can't prove piracy is harmful because you can't prove the person would've ever bought the game in the first place. It's easier for people to support 'movements' or 'ideals' that require very little legwork, and gives a little ego-boost in the end. "I'm supporting freedom of speech/expression by supporting this." Sounds nice, doesn't it? Why would you want to squelch another person's freedom of speech/expression?

I won't go as far to say Hatred will change the world, or condemn our children to a darker future, but this constant barrage of accusations that someone is defiling another's freedom by exercising their own is obnoxious. Obviously I'm talking about other instances in this case, but hiding behind such charged ideals as someones "freedom" to do something seems slimy. That's what politicians do in order to quiet their opposition. It removes any sensible argument that could have been had from the equation, and it disarms the other individual without proving anything.

I mean, let's face it. You passively displayed your belief out there in a non-aggressive manner. You were met by someone telling you to just be quiet.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@omnomnivore: Nobody is telling anyone to be quiet. What are you even talking about.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#37 FinalDasa  Moderator

I don't want to give anything much attention when they're trying so very hard to only get attention. If this were a quality game that just so happened decided on a piss poor PR strategy using offensive materials them perhaps I'd look into it. But from all I've heard this is a poor game, in poor taste, hoping to take my money by being "offensive" and crass.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I feel like all discussion of Hatred devolves into "This game is trash and shouldn't exist" or "The developers are nazis because the internet told me so once"

One of these is not true, the other is a matter of opinion.

Interestingly this game is pretty mild compared to other games like it, but like all political agendas that spawn around video games we're going to have the crazies screaming this down until they feel satisfied they've screamed enough and then everyone will move on to screaming about something else they did no research on and decided was evil because they were told it was.

I may buy this eventually (when I have time to play it) and probably write about it. This doesn't seem any different than a myriad of other games where you play crazy people killing others. In the 90s, actually, this would've just been considered generic, and no one would care about it.

That's the modern day media for ya, though. Incite unnecessary reactions by people and kids who do as they're told and then watch as a bunch of people regurgitate it like it's legitimate fact.

I should add, of course, that on top of the media frenzy this games publicity certainly didn't help anything either. I mean in a way they did the same thing any PR campaign would, only the first few hours of this you kill innocent people who don't fight back whereas others don't really focus on that but have that too. *shrug*

cLoudForest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

@tothenines: The Nazi allegations absolutely were proven false. The guy's t-shirt had the logo of a WWII-era Polish resistance group on it, ironically a group that was fighting the Nazis. The developer who was wearing the shirt explained this over six months ago.

The t-shirt had the words zołnierze wyklęci on it which refers to the "Cursed Soldiers", an underground resistance brigade that fought against the Communists after the start of the occupation and into the 1950s. They didn't fight the Nazis and weren't formed until after the end of WW2 when the Polish resistance that had fought against the Nazis had already disbanded.

The Nazi allegations were also linked to the head of the studio liking and following the Facebook page of a far-right, anti-Islamic Polish organisation. The developer denied that he was affiliated with said organisation and argued that following the organisation on Facebook didn't constitute support for their ideas. He also said that he didn't watch TV and got most of his news through things that got pasted to his Facebook wall.

The game doesn't interest me in the slightest, so no I probably won't play it.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno if it's for me, maybe you can stream some so I can check it out.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i would only play this on the grounds that i always assume i'm actually playing as nathan explosion.

BullyDemise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: Or Tommy Wiseau.

And no, I don't see myself spending $20 on this game. Especially when Lego Worlds' early access client just got released into the wild.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@mb said:

The t-shirt had the words zołnierze wyklęci on it which refers to the "Cursed Soldiers", an underground resistance brigade that fought against the Communists after the start of the occupation and into the 1950s. They didn't fight the Nazis and weren't formed until after the end of WW2 when the Polish resistance that had fought against the Nazis had already disbanded.

Well that's at least the third explanation I have heard for the t-shirt, but the important thing here is that none of those explanations are that the guy wearing it is in any way a "nazi."

DT9k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game seems really fucking stupid, but not in a self-aware way that I can get behind.

cLoudForest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cLoudForest

@mb Of course, but then I don't see anyone in this thread making the specific connection "that guy wore that t-shirt therefore he's a nazi". It may have been the other story I mentioned that they were referring to, which I offer no comment on either way since it's up to others to interpret that how they want. It's irrelevant as far as my decision to play the game or not goes but I guess it may factor into other people's decision not to.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Even without the grimdark murder fantasy vibe the game gives off, I don't think I can get behind a $20 okay dual stick shooter that's also kind of slow. Not seeing what it adds to the genre aside from being controversial by design.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

The finishers being hyper-realistic made me cringe, and any game that gives me any kind of strong reaction like that is noteworthy. The emotion they have the NPCs convey is very well done.

I watched gamespot play it and it looked fun... for a bit. The car ramming through the house into the party was hilarious lol I don't get worked up over the whole innocent being shot up in video games because we do that in just about every other video game, but man is the character just not very likable (obviously).

TL;DR - The game looks technically impressive and as if it's only fun for a short time. Not worth $20.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, I'm not an angsty teen anymore. But whatever, there has to be someone out there selling things to angsty "hate everything" teens at all times. This is just another one of those edgy products.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game thrived on the free attention it got, and sites like Polygon really should have seen this coming. It's not exactly the first time this sort of thing has happened. Not getting this game myself, but I am glad that it is now freely available to purchase for those who want it (except Australia and Germany, but that's a different discussion altogether). There is almost literally nothing in this game that has not been already been done in other games, which may probably explain some of the mediocre scores. Killing civilians? Postal, GTA, Carmaggedon (a new version of which came out on Steam recently. Where's the controversy around that?), Saint's Row, CoD MW2 had that one scene, Manhunt had more grisly executions, the list goes on.

And yes, GTA does encourage you to kill civilians as in 5 there are those side-missions with Trevor.

I'm pretty tired of this Neo-Nazi label being slung around. I realise that it makes it way easier to discredit the developers (because, after all, who would side with Nazis?), but its not productive to actual discussion on why you think this game should not be purchased.

Edit: Might as well make my position a bit more clear. I firmly believe that by disallowing sales of Hatred it would have been censorship.

figurehead00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By figurehead00

This is a no thanks for me. From the videos I've watched the tone is so laughably angsty teenager it could be parody, but it's not. The developers seem like a group of adults with the same level of maturity as a 16 year old me listening to Slipknot and thinking I was "hardcore" and "deep". Now as an adult is just seems embarrassing.

That said I can admit the black and white ascetic with the flashes of color does look nice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.