Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

HD Collection

Concept »

HD collections are multiple games in a franchise that have been remastered to comform to HD standards and then put on a single disc.

What is your opinion on HD collections?

bobcat1794

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bobcat1794

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cloudenvy

I think HD collections are pretty rad!

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Questionable

D. Its a great opportunity for those who missed games or no longer have the platform to play the originals

I do not understand the logic behind C considering the HD collections are just copy paste jobs without changing the game in any way. hell even spelling mistakes go unchanged!

Avatar image for blastprocessing
    BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By BlastProcessing

I can't complain, being given the chance to re-visit some loved classics, or catching up on some at a fair price is totally OK...as long as they're not botched like the Silent Hill one.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Vextroid

When they are done right, they are pretty awesome (like MGS HD) but also raises the question, why not make something new. With the Jak and Daxter/Sly Cooper why not make a new awesome Jax and Daxter or Sly Cooper (Sly 4 is comming yes, that is pretty cool).

The obvious answer is that its quick and cheap, but I'd rather something new.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By falserelic

I want this game to be added to ps2 classics or a HD version. Overall I enjoy HD remakes even though I already had a huge collection of ps2 games.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

@Questionable said:

D. Its a great opportunity for those who missed games or no longer have the platform to play the originals

I do not understand the logic behind C considering the HD collections are just copy paste jobs without changing the game in any way. hell even spelling mistakes go unchanged!

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By JoeyRavn

I don't have anything against them. Though I've never bought one (I've been toying with the idea of getting the Metal Gear Solid one for 360), I can see how useful they can be for someone who never had the opportuny to experience those games when they were originally released.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wheelone said:

C tampering with shit just ruins classics, like Star Wars

If you want the game as it should be, get it unaltered through virtual console or own the original copy.

But they're not like Star Wars. Nothing about the game has been changed except the resolution. George Lucas ruined Star Wars by adding terrible CG to the classics, changing scenes, adding scenes etc. A game like ICO can't be ruined by up-resing it to look good on an HD TV, as well as adding features like interviews, concept art, and trailers that couldn't be seen before because of hardware or disk space restrictions.

They also give people the opportunity to play a game they missed. I never played Shadow of the Colossus on my PS2, but since it's in that HD collection I'm able to play it on my new console and I don't have to go find my PS2 which is probably sitting somewhere in my mess of a basement, then track down an original copy of the game, only to hook it up and have it look like shit because I don't have component cables.

rolanthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rolanthas

Love 'em really. I'm nothing but grateful for having HD SoTC - ICO in my possession without wrestling with PCSX2, and I'm really looking forward to have Okami on my PS3 ( the last reason I still had my PS2 hooked up ).

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By tourgen

I like the idea in theory. It would be nice to play the original, un-edited version as a main menu option though. Some games really shouldn't be messed with. Generally I like the HD collections that come with new and cool stuff like commentary or alternate versions, screen filters, and other extras.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FritzDude

Some are bad, costs too much and has not been taken care of properly under development. And some are good that could make me want to play a game I never played before, or a game that was just plagued with issues and got fixed in the HD collection years after. I guess it makes me neutral, but no options here on this poll really stuck out to me. I don't "love them", I don't "hate them", but I don't think they are unnecessary either.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13  Edited By zyn

They're nice for people who missed those games.

That1BlackGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By That1BlackGuy

I don't inherently have an issue with HD Collections as long as they don't tamper with the game(s) that it takes away what originally made it enjoyable. I like my older games to stay in the past.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kgb0515

I would say they are ridiculous for someone who already owns an original copy of the game, but then again I own a copy of Battlefield Bad Company 2 for 3 systems.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I don't hate them, but none of them have interested me. If I care about the game, chances are I already have it.

I'd rather see more HD remakes like Halo Anniversary, where they really put some effort into it. Not just upscaled PS2 games.

bobcat1794

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bobcat1794

@Questionable said:

Perfect example for this was the Silent Hill HD Collection, that was edited and alot of fans flipped a banana.

bobcat1794

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bobcat1794

I feel that I have to put my opinion in. The reason I love them is because of what alot of you are saying. I never had my own ps2 when I was younger so its an excellent chance to go back and be able to have that opportunity to play them through with some awesome added features, mainly trophy support. And sorry to people who none of the choices apply, i cant edit the questions now so I'm stuck with what I chose.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sooty

dumb idea for PS2 games for me as I can emulate them on my PC and they will look better (usually) than PS3 port jobs. I could easily pick up a HD collection game for 75% less second hand for the original system.

wastedcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wastedcolumbo

I can also emulate most of them better on my PC but with stuff like the ICO/Shadow of the Colossus collection and Okami HD I am so fucking grateful that these games are brought to a wider audience. If only up-resing PS1 games was as easy, it's a real shame that Suikoden 2 HD will never be released...

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MideonNViscera

Depends on the game. If it's a game I really loved then it's ok. Everything else is a waste of time haha

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Love em, but I wish they would do more, less popular ones. e.g. Xenosaga, SMT DDS and Nocture, Onimusha, etc.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MetalGearSunny

They're good when done well.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Hunter5024

I think it's pretty awesome not to have to track down scratched up used discs at specialty stores for a system that I never keep hooked up.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#25  Edited By elyk247

It's good for some games like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, because ICO costs a shit ton now.

But for Jak and Ratchet, I don't know. They seem like a bit too much.

serpentenema

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By serpentenema

@falserelic said:

I want this game to be added to ps2 classics or a HD version. Overall I enjoy HD remakes even though I already had a huge collection of ps2 games.

I want this on the ps2 classics on psn, if namco is too lazy to hd remake this game. This was one of my favorite games of the last gen, and it is a shame that nobody played it.

But, I am a fan of HD remakes for the most part, like the metal gear collection, because I never had the chance to pick up mgs on the ps2 and Ico was too hard to find on ps2 without having to pay crazy amounts of money for it.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nottle

@bobcat1794 said:

@Questionable said:

Perfect example for this was the Silent Hill HD Collection, that was edited and alot of fans flipped a banana.

There are very specific reasons why Silent Hill was messed up. Weren't they given an unfinished version of the game code, also wasn't there some issue to the rights with the voice acting? Most HD collections don't have that kind of trouble.

@wheelone said:

@Skyfire543: well that's your opinion.

personally, I found what Nintendo did to Ocarina of Time absurd & takes the charm away from the original.

See, I wouldn't call that a simple HD rerelease, thats a remake. There are whole new art assets also other small changes like the quick switch iron boots. There is more too it than simply putting it in a higher resolution and fixing frame rate.

We need to have a name for this that isn't remake. To me remake implies your getting a lot extra. We don't call Pulp Fiction getting released on Blue Ray a remake because it isn't. There is a difference between the God of War HD collection and the Final Fantasy Tactics PSP release, the PSP game has so much new stuff, its a remake.

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dazzhardy

Some are great, some are utterly terrible and Konami should be embarrassed the discs even got pressed. Which is funny, because I really like the MGS HD Collection, but the Silent Hill HD Collection is in every single way worse than the originals.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#29  Edited By c_rakestraw

@Nottle said:

We need to have a name for this that isn't remake.

I've always referred to the HD re-releases as remasters. Gets the point across pretty well, I think.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
    chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I am in full support of HD collections...despite never having bought one myself

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
    chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@Skyfire543 said:

@wheelone said:

If you want the game as it should be, get it unaltered through virtual console or own the original copy.

But they're not like Star Wars. Nothing about the game has been changed except the resolution. George Lucas ruined Star Wars by adding terrible CG to the classics, changing scenes, adding scenes etc. A game like ICO can't be ruined by up-resing it to look good on an HD TV, as well as adding features like interviews, concept art, and trailers that couldn't be seen before because of hardware or disk space restrictions.

They also give people the opportunity to play a game they missed. I never played Shadow of the Colossus on my PS2, but since it's in that HD collection I'm able to play it on my new console and I don't have to go find my PS2 which is probably sitting somewhere in my mess of a basement, then track down an original copy of the game, only to hook it up and have it look like shit because I don't have component cables.

I totally agree with what you are saying duder. The game itself is (usually) intact and unchanged except for the graphics. I never played Shadow of the Colossus and now I have that chance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

As long as they are priced correctly, I think they're great! I never would have gotten into the God of War franchise without the HD collection, and I look forward to playing the Okami HD collection and the Ico and Shadow Of The Colusses collection when I can afford it.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By Dalai

Don't like them for three reasons.

1. I prefer them as they were originally intended, warts and all.
    2. I'd rather have those developers making new games instead of remaking old ones.
    3. Often the games are just a money grab. For example, Ocarina of Time 3D sells for $40 even though the Virtual Console version on the Wii is $10.
    Sless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Sless

I love them because I am a sucker for buying and replaying games I already own and have beaten.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GreggD

The Resident Evil HD ports of Code Veronica and 4 are awesome, plus they added a full 1000 gamerscore to each game. It's actually my first time playing Code Veronica. Basically, as long as the game is ported well, and they add achievements, I'm fine with it. Now I just wish Capcom would re-release REmake for PS3 and 360. Anyone who thinks they can't has never seen it running in HD on Dolphin. And yes, I know it's in 4:3, but just slap a border on it like any number of XBLA games.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By QuistisTrepe

Just a money grab, nothing more. According to Konami, it's not even necessary for them to function correctly.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

Since individual games don't really get the sort of shelf life that you get with pretty much every other form of entertainment media, HD collections are probably the best way of making that content available in a way that supports the developer and publisher. However, how well they're received really depends on how they're done... the Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell collections were a complete shitshow, but on the other hand Beyond Good & Evil and Metal Gear Solid made the jump rather nicely.

The audience for this stuff also tends to fall into two camps: there's the people who want the original art assets and those who require a visual overhaul. Since I don't think there's anything wrong with either of those opinions, the best approach is what was done with Halo Anniversary and Monkey Island: giving guys the best of both worlds and the ability to switch between them easily.

In short, I like HD collections as long as they're done right and the developer treats the game with the same respect it deserves. After all, why should we think it's worth bothering with if they don't?

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By dichemstys

I think they're pretty good. I'm playing the Prince of Persia one now and I forgot how much I like them, especially The Two Thrones.

And the Metal Gear one was awesome!

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By emprpngn

I like how the Halo:CE Anniversary was handled. You had the option of playing the original or remastered version, and could switch between them during gameplay. All HD re-releases should allow that, I think.

I think they should be done for the sake of preserving games. If you can keep bringing stuff along to newer generations of hardware and making it look a little nicer along the way, then great.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#40  Edited By WightnNerdy

If they're done right they can be awesome, such as the ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection. But I also tried playing the Prince of Persia Trilogy and man, they did a terrible job at porting those games over. Terrible ports. I mean, if you're going to bother with an HD Collection, put some time into it.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GoofyGoober

I love them, gives me and other folks a chance to play classic games without trying to either pay an arm and a leg for them or finding the console to play them on. Plus being updated in HD with trophies don't hurt one bit.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BestUsernameEver

I vote B, but without the unnecessary part, I think they serve a purpose for a certain group, not me though.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Draxyle

They're nice, fairly harmless cash grabs that aren't necessarily hurting the consumer. They don't take up too much development time either, unless you're Square Enix. I appreciate their existence, some of those old PS2 titles are hard to look at on the big screen.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hippie_genocide

I think they're great but my one gripe is that they should be more like the "Criterion Collection" for their respective games. A real collector's piece. You know, concept art, developer interviews, etc.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By korolev

They're awesome, provided that they are done properly. I have quite a few games I'd like to see get the HD treatment (Final Fantasy X being the big one, and that looks like it's coming true soon). We're getting to the stage where games that are 6 years old still hold up more than decently.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Dark

They work out find and a majority of the collections don't feel like a stupid price, I am talking about the MGS collections and DMC collections. I also liked the Halo CE even if the HDafying of it looks a bit hokey at times.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#47  Edited By Sooperspy

HD collections are great! Especially the ones that Sony has been producing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
    deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some HD collections are great and some not so great. And since I own the original versions of almost every game that has got the HD collection treatment i'm never interested in them personally.

But I'm glad that most of these HD collections came out! There are some amazing games that people may have overlooked in the past, or never had the chance to play. The younger gamer's this generation may never have heard of the Prince of Persia Trilogy or Metal Gear! And now they can jump in and experience those amazing games without having to dig up last generations consoles or wasting big bucks on possibly rare games.

I believe HD Collections are good for anyone who may have missed some amazing last generation games, But unnecessary for anyone who has already lived through them once and still has they're original copies.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mordukai

@wheelone said:

That's where I have to disagree with you. When handled right an HD collection could be an excellent opportunity for a gamer who was either too young at the time or just missed that particular game when it first came out, to delve into the origin of the game and see where it started. It gives those gamers a very easy way to go out and enjoy all those classic games that so many others enjoyed back in the day. They don't have to go out and buy the console it needs to be played on and then hope the store has a copy, and most times it does't in which case the internet is the only way they'll find it and god knows how much they'l have to pay for it.

SO far most of the HD collections that came were handleed with respect, aside of the few ones. Most of the HD collections coming out from Sony have been pretty solid.

As far as the "play it in it's unaltered state" then again it's has to be taken on a case by case basis. Most of the HD collection I played have remained unaltered save for add-on of better AA and smoother frame rate. In this day and age where most gamers have HD tv's at their disposal then it's not that bad having to see a PS2 era game looking nice. I'll admit that the HD versions for Halo CE and Silent Hill were an atrocity but I won't go condemning all of them because of a few rotten apples.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like em, but seriously we need a Timesplitters HD collection. Like, now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.