Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hearthstone

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

A Free-to-Play collectible card game by Blizzard Entertainment set in the Warcraft universe.

Which kind of tournament would you cool participating in? (select all that apply)

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Poll Which kind of tournament would you cool participating in? (select all that apply) (17 votes)

Hit It and Quit It 65%
    Arena Style 65%
    Limited Card Pool (No Legendary or Epics) 24%
    Limited Card Pool (Class cards and Commons only) 24%

Whats good everyone?

I feel like I kind of dropped the ball on this, but is anyone interested in participating in another community tournament? I think I've recovered enough from the last one that would feel comfortable running it. It was right around the time the finals of the last tournament (featuring an EPIC finals between myself and @starvinggamer which you can watch here) that I found out my wife and I were expecting our first child - so I've been pretty out of the loop with Hearthstone while taking care of all that. GvG has gotten me back in the swing of things, and feel I learned a ton running that last one. I'm pretty confident this one won't run over a month longer than anticipated.

I got a ton of great feedback after the last tournament. We ran using the conventional King of the Hill format which was being used in most high level tournaments at the time. It was using an unrestricted pool of cards. It wasn't a great way to build our little community with newer players, and felt like some participants were discouraged from the get go.

For this tournament, lets get weird.

By chiming in, you're not committing to anything, but am using the numbers we get back to gauge general interest in this thing. Here is a quick blurb about each of the choices, please let me know if you have any questions.

Hit it and Quit It- Awful name, but there were some grumblings last tournament about decks being locked. I get it, deck slots are valuable and if you want to disenchant cards for better cards, being locked out of touching your collection sucked. I can do a quick YT video if anyone needs, but the premise is you create a new deck, select your class, and click "done". The game creates your deck for you. You cannot modify it. You may get the dumbest deck with an awful curve, but you're not tied to it and create a new deck at the start of every round.

Arena Style - You're all familiar with arena, yes? You're given the choice of three cards and pick one. With an arena style tournament, you go to create a deck, select your class, but click "suggest a card" and choose one of the three options you're given. Repeat 29 times and that's your deck. These decks also would only be good for one round, so your cards aren't locked and and you're not taking up a deck slot.

Limited Card Pool (no legendary/epics) - By far the most common suggestion last tournament, but this entails removing all epics and legendary cards from the pool of available cards.

Limited Card Pool (just commons/class cards) - Taking the above notion a step further, we'd limit the pool to common cards and class cards.

If you have any other awesome ideas, I'd love to hear them.

I want to add something that cropped up last time to take into consideration before you vote. I don't care about in game BM. It's harmless fun. Last tournament I received multiple reports about from multiple participants about others behaving like pretentious assholes through BNet chat. There is no place for that, and I'm not apologizing for others actions anymore. If I get multiple reports again this time, I'm just yanking you from the brackets, no questions asked. If you don't think you not be horrible, please don't vote. That's all, thank you!

• 
    SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I don't find it particularly fun to copy decks off the internet, but I recognize I'll also get crushed by anyone who does. I think either of the first two options should make things more even, and they sound like some goofy fun.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By StarvingGamer

I dunno, both hit it and arena will still favor players with a more diverse card pool. On the other hand, the only thing a limited card-pool does is shift the metagame, not make it more diverse. Out of everything I'd probably prefer arena. It allows for a certain degree of ownership while preventing more knowledgeable players from exploiting powerful synergies.

EDIT: Oh also thanks for all your hard work last time and congrats! Kids are awesome!

EDIT2: Also to answer the actual question I'd be cool to participate in anything and lose horribly to all these newfangled goblins and gnomes.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Since polls are completely busted, I voted for Limited - Class & Commons.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ares42

Hmm, I'd say the best option would be just no legendaries. The difference between good decks with epics or not isn't that big, and you'll do by banning epics is make the diversity of good decks very narrow. And on the other side, if you ban rares and up you'll quickly get into a situation where all the games end up being very, well.. basic.

Although I guess in the end the best choice will come down to what sorta card collections the players has. Should probably try to go with something "average" of what everyone who wants to participate has.

averagegreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By averagegreg

Hit it and Quit it and Arena Style would probably be the most fun, though I'd be fine with anything.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I chose Arena.

When you say "commons/class cards", I assume "class cards" means the starting class cards you receive as part of leveling up? Because technically Al'Akir or Archmage Antonidas are also class cards.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By C0V3RT

It's a tricky balance. I love constructed, but feel like if you strip out legendary and epic cards, you're going to see a whole lot of everyone playing the same. If you go all commons and class cards, everyone will play zoo and face hunter. The arena style or hit-it-and-forget it drafts could still favor players with the larger sets, but it's not assured.

For comparison sake, I did one of each drafts for comparison. The first was my arena draft, the second being my HIFI draft. I got a number of legendary cards in both. I don't know if that's repeatable, but here's what I got.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

wlleiotl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as each round is at least best of 3, if not 5, I'm in for anything.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if I probably could not join since I'm in germany and for some reason Blizzard has that dumb region lock in place ... I would probably choose "Limited Pool - no legendary/epics" ... the first two seem too random to me and the last one too restrictive.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@c0v3rt: I like how your second Warlock deck has a single Mechwarper, and literally no other Mechs. That's the sort of dumb format I can get behind.

Also, the deck pictures you posted are a great example of the inconsistency of the image compression. Your longer pics are compressed into fuzzy garbage, while the shorter pics look like they're 1:1 with whatever image you originally had saved to your desktop, because their file size was probably within the limit of the uploader. It's irritating that whenever I post a picture it's a guessing game whether it's within the uploader's limits, or whether it's going to make it onto the site as fuzzy garbage.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By C0V3RT

@bisonhero: I think I bought all of like 3 GvG packs total, so in all fairness I don't have a huge spread of cards to choose from. That 2/3 value for 2 though...

And yes, when I say class cards I mean the ones you unlock as you for each class as you level up. Soulfire (which was an awful awful card to nerf) would be a class card, Flame Imp would not.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@c0v3rt: Yeah, I really have no idea where the Soulfire nerf came from. I mean, I guess it gets used by just about every Warlock deck, but like, whatever, I don't feel like it costing 1 mana more has really changed the flow of many of the games I've played against Warlock decks. Maybe their metrics say Warlock's win rate is like 0.1% lower now, but those decks have so many other tools at their disposal that I don't see what the point was of nerfing that one card.

Compare that to Starving Buzzard, Leeroy Jenkins, and Gadgetzan Auctioneer, where entire gameplans pretty much hinged on drawing that, and that card being cheap enough that you can also afford to play other cards the same turn as it. So nerfing them actually affected something.

So while we're nerfing common removal spells, let's make Frostbolt cost 3? Or hey, Eviscerate can cost 3 now? Because why the fuck not, apparently.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: The nerf was because of Dark Bomb. One of my staple decks has been a demon rush deck for a long time, and the addition of Dark Bomb just makes the rushdown even crazier. The amount of cheap damage you can put out with Dark Bomb, Soulfire, Power Overwhelming and some sort of charge creature is just ridicolous, and delaying it by one turn actually makes quite a difference.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: Ah, so it was a preemptive nerf? Because that balance patch happened before GvG packs were even available for purchase.

Was Gadgetzan Auctioneer a premptive nerf to prevent people from hoarding Spare Parts in their hand, then playing a bunch of them the same turn they play the Auctioneer? HOW DEEP DOES THIS GO?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Well, I don't have any official source or anything, but there's a reason why Shadow Bolt is minion only. And ye, I would assume the Gadgetzan is a similar situation. There's not really any point in targetting the current meta when you're already introducing a ton of cards that will change things up anyways.

novadth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm not very good at HS but I'd totally be down for participating in a hit it and quit it style tournament

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, fun fact, I didn't forget about this. However as I mentioned in my original post, my wife and I were expecting our first child. Shortly after I made the original thread, after a crazy set of events that snowballed, we had our kid early January some 13 weeks early. 100% of my free time has me in the NICU, so I can't really run this (it seemed to have a tepid response at best anyway) but if someone else wants to run with this, go for it. In the meanwhile, the mobile version of the game is one of the few things I can play in his hospital room. If anyone ever wants to dick around and break the monotony of ladder, hit me up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.