Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavenly Sword

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 12, 2007

Nariko, an outcast in her clan, wields the cursed Heavenly Sword in order to defeat the evil King Bohan.

Was this underrated, or overrated?

• 52 results
    kilzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kilzombie

Hello, I was just looking around, and I decided to ask this question to anyone who played this game.
    Do you think this game was good/great/bad? And why? Do you think it deserved the ratings it got, or did it deserve more/less?
    I personally loved this game. Even though it was very short, story and gameplay were top-notch.

ButtonSmasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ButtonSmasher

I don't think either Its about right. Its a good game but as everyone says it's short.  I thought it was a great game, and as i bought it preowned great value.

eych

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By eych

Going though the game the second time in the Hell difficulty right now.

It's a fantastic game!

If you would try to collect all 3 glyphs in each section of each chapter (which is really fun anyway) then the game would last you around 20-25 hours, which is a decent time.

solidphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By solidphoenix

I don't think it was either really. Most of the reviews seemed to get it right, but the scores were all across the board.

Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Ross

The only complaint I heard about this game was that it was short.  However If that is the only thing people complain about that just means that it is so good that they want more.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By shadows_kill
    Ross said:
    "The only complaint I heard about this game was that it was short.  However If that is the only thing people complain about that just means that it is so good that they want more."
    this. why would people complain that its to short unless the game was really good?
    Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kratos81

I thought it was a good game just over shadowed by the huge games released around the same time.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By get2sammyb

I'm considering picking this up second hand but I rarely hear anyone mention it really. Is it one of those unnoticed classics or is it just not very good?

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By zitosilva

I think neither. It was appreciated the way it should've been. It has some great production value, but it's too short and the combat isn't really very well developed.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By crunchUK

it is, like a lot of ps3 things, "all show and no substance"

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hexpane

Neither, it is an amazing looking game that is essentially a button masher that requires precise timing.  I really wish this was an action RPG instead of a button masher, but seems like everyone wants to make God of War clones these days.  5 hours of button mashing is more than enough. 

Imagine how great this could have been as a 20 hour Champions of Norrath type game w/ these graphics

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By get2sammyb
    crunchUK said:
    "it is, like a lot of ps3 things, "all show and no substance""
    You played it then? There was me thinking you just kept rehashing phrases like this in PS3 threads to wind people up.

Thanks for the responses guys, I'mma check out the demo on the PSN and see how cheap I can get it for.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crunchUK
    get2sammyb said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "it is, like a lot of ps3 things, "all show and no substance""
    You played it then? There was me thinking you just kept rehashing phrases like this in PS3 threads to wind people up.

Thanks for the responses guys, I'mma check out the demo on the PSN and see how cheap I can get it for."
    yeah i played it, once you get over the oooh loads of enemies there really isn't much to the game at all...

which as i said is applicable to a lot of ps3 related stuff as well
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hexpane
    crunchUK said:

"
    Like Valk Chron?  Stop trolling.  "A lot of PS3 related stuff" is a meaningless attack.
    DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By DJ_Lae

Overrated. Jerky framerate, simplistic combat, short length, godawful shooting segments, yuck.

Though I found out after returning my rental that you could turn off the six-axis controls for the shooting portions, which would probably have made them bearable and less Satan's feces.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jayge_

Interesting story, fun combat, mediocre shooting segments, one of the more unique games you'll have played on the system should you pick it up. I liked it a lot. I don't have a PS3 though, I played it through in about 3-4 sittings when I stayed with my buddy for a week two summers ago.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By crunchUK
    Hexpane said:
    "crunchUK said:

"
    Like Valk Chron?  Stop trolling.  "A lot of PS3 related stuff" is a meaningless attack."
    like resistance "OMG 40 playerz FTW RITE WOW 1 MEELION ENEMIES ON SCREEN FTW!"............ resistance is mediocre. gt5p "ooh look at the pretty cars" it's a demo. and one that's less advanced than forza 2. blu ray "wow teh hi tec"............ rather useless, i hope you enjoy installs and disk management. like sixaxis "wow ps3 has motion sensing" ............. it works worse than the wiimote and is hardly ever implemented decently. like "teh cell". longer developement times ftw?

should i go on?
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Milkman
    crunchUK said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "crunchUK said:

"
    Like Valk Chron?  Stop trolling.  "A lot of PS3 related stuff" is a meaningless attack."
    like resistance "OMG 40 playerz FTW RITE WOW 1 MEELION ENEMIES ON SCREEN FTW!"............ resistance is mediocre. gt5p "ooh look at the pretty cars" it's a demo. and one that's less advanced than forza 2. blu ray "wow teh hi tec"............ rather useless, i hope you enjoy installs and disk management. like sixaxis "wow ps3 has motion sensing" ............. it works worse than the wiimote and is hardly ever implemented decently. like "teh cell". longer developement times ftw?

should i go on?"
    You're an idiot.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By crunchUK
    Milkman said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "crunchUK said:

"

should i go on?"
    You're an idiot."
    sigh sony fanboys get sloppier by the minute
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hexpane
    crunchUK said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "crunchUK said:

"

should i go on?"
    umm wtf does forza 2 have to do w/ your trolling?
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By crunchUK
    Hexpane said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "crunchUK said:

"

should i go on?"
    umm wtf does forza 2 have to do w/ your trolling?"
    gt5p can't touch it

gotta love the sony denial in this thread
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jayge_
    crunchUK said:
    " gt5p can't touch it

gotta love the sony denial in this thread"
    Shouldn't you be playing Halo or something?

Nothing to see here folks, just an intellectually below-average British teenager with nothing better to do than attempt to troll the console he isn't a fanboy of.

inb4hesays"yousuckathaloJayge"
    Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bulldog19892

Both, and neither at the same time.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By get2sammyb
    crunchUK said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "crunchUK said:

"

should i go on?"
    Shame on you for being a fellow Briton.

Haha. At least I agree with him on the Sixaxis. Everything else I'll ignore.

I just played the demo: hmmm I see what people mean by "jerky". It looks like a good button basher but it's gonna have to be a real bargain to tempt me. 4 hour length and a wee bit dated: probably worth £7 or less then right?

Happy shopping for moi!
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TwoOneFive

yea i thought it was a good game, graphics were great too, and the voice acting was outstanding. 

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hexpane
    crunchUK said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "crunchUK said:

"

should i go on?"
    gt5p can't touch it

GT5p is not a game, its a demo.  the fact that you are comparing an overpriced demo to a full game shows how phailed forza 2 is.  And I hated GTp in all it's over priced demo-ness.  Go ahead back to the 360 boards talking about how innovative your XBOXMiis are
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By crunchUK
    Hexpane said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "crunchUK said:

"

should i go on?"
    gt5p can't touch it

GT5p is not a game, its a demo.  the fact that you are comparing an overpriced demo to a full game shows how phailed forza 2 is.  And I hated GTp in all it's over priced demo-ness.  Go ahead back to the 360 boards talking about how innovative your XBOXMiis are"

my point exactly?

i love how nobody seems to have any real answer.
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zitosilva
    Jayge said:
    "Interesting story, fun combat, mediocre shooting segments, one of the more unique games you'll have played on the system should you pick it up. I liked it a lot. I don't have a PS3 though, I played it through in about 3-4 sittings when I stayed with my buddy for a week two summers ago."
    Oh, I had forgot about those parts. You really didn't like the controlling the arrows with the sixaxis? I thought it was one of the best things in the game.

And I forgot to mention before that I think Nariko is a great character. One of the few female characters in a game which don't seem stereotyped by the male point of view.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Jeffsekai

overrated

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pause422

I never really heard a big praise for the game to begin with as if people were saying it to be something amazing in the first place, but I thought it was an ok action game, just nothing really special.

Also, nice attempts at trolling, yet failing. Come up with something more intelligent than shit you would hear a 6 year old say that has microsoft's cock down its throat everyday , and maybe you'll be successful one of these days.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By crunchUK
    pause422 said:
    "I never really heard a big praise for the game to begin with as if people were saying it to be something amazing in the first place, but I thought it was an ok action game, just nothing really special.

Also, nice attempts at trolling, yet failing. Come up with something more intelligent than shit you would hear a 6 year old say that has microsoft's cock down its throat everyday , and maybe you'll be successful one of these days."
    irony at it's finest XD
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Contro

It was facked, but it had some really great production values and assets.

Avatar image for deactivated-589b97df1f8d4
    deactivated-589b97df1f8d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A very top-notch game, short but great. Ive had it since it launched, good buy.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Overated, for such a short and gimmicky game, ninja theory doesn't even deserve it's 80% score, should be more like 75%. I enjoyed the game though, has a decent character design, cutscenes and a gimmicky no jump button, button mashing three styles switch up gameplay that is equilvent to a college degree in video game entry level design. More style than substance, I don't give a good score based on cutscenes and good acting. Also the game was choppy at certain parts. I say it looks underated, but for a ninja theory game, it's slightly overated due to the acting and cutscenes.

Honestly they shouldn't make the next devil may cry game either.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By buzz_killington

The story and the cutscene stuff were really well done, but the rest of the game was a pretty decent brawler.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I don't know, people don't even ever mention it. I don't blame them. it's a decent PS3 launch game with some good production values. Too bad the story and characters were not any good nor was the combat system.

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38  Edited By Tackchevy

HOW DOES THIS THREAD STILL LIVE

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PillClinton

@Tackchevy: People digging way toodeep in old forums.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By laserbolts

Overrrated an absolute piece of garbage.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By VisariLoyalist

@PillClinton said:

@Tackchevy: People digging way toodeep in old forums.

well see what happens that people don't realize is if you visit a game page and go to the forums you end up innocently finding super old threads and assuming they're still active ( am I contributing to this problem-yes)

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#42  Edited By Yummylee

Random necro but... yeah, Heavenly Sword was mostly just a technical show-piece. I bought it for about a fiver and felt content. Even when I played it in I think 2010, it still looked impressive so it definitely done its job graphically speaking. But the game itself is ridiculously short, and the gameplay was standard fare for the genre. It done what it needed to, but I feel for the people who bought it brand new when it was released.

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Alkaiser
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By Winternet

I remember a lot of talking about the hair. That's all I remember, to be honestly. Overrated.

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By Lemegeton

severely under-rated in my opinion. Ninja theory IMO are a very under-rated developer. Enslaved was fantastic IMO

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mordukai

@Phobos: Fuck sake...Talk about a necro bump.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#48  Edited By benspyda

The motion capture and acting was amazing. The gameplay was janky.

I much prefer Enslaved to this, I really enjoyed Enslaved but not so much Heavenly Sword.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#49  Edited By GunstarRed

This is old...

Got it free with my console, didn't it get a bunch of 7's? If that was the case it was spot on. Its got a ton of personality and an interesting combat system wrapped up uninteresting combat. I finished it in an afternoon. Kai is one of the best characters in a video game ever, so I guess it has that.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Masha2932

The game had some great ideas but the implementation was poor. The game was really short as well. Check it out if you can find it for cheap. It was a launch period game so you have to take that into consideration since the game might not look as good and it might have some issues.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.