Heavy Metal Machines (HMM) is a Car Battle MOBA developed by Hoplon Infotainment, a brazilian developer based in Florianópolis, Brazil.
The game was launched on September 19, 2018, and before that it was opened for Early Access since January 31st, 2017. HMM is free-to-play and can be downloaded on Steam.
The game design was inspired on classic titles, such as Rock'n'Roll Racing and Twisted Metal, besides its references to the traditional MOBA genre.
Despite the MOBA genre that the game can be labeled, it doesn't follow the traditional mechanics from other titles of this genre. There are no minions, no towers, no lanes. Unlike other MOBAs, HMM is super-fast paced from the beginning!
There are three different functions in the game: Interceptor, Transporter and Support.
- Interceptor: They are the main damage dealers of the game, specialized in preventing enemies from taking the bomb to the final goal. Some of them are focused on damage, and some others have best crowd control.
- Transporter: The experts to carry the bomb from the center of the arena to the enemy base. Usually their resistance or speed are higher than other characters.
- Support: These are the "healers" of the game. They can repair the machines and help transporters and interceptors to survive and take the bomb to the final objective.
Currently, the game has four different arenas available:
- Metal God: It's the arena considered the most competitive in the game. It is also used as the official stage for HMM's championships.
Temple of Sacrifice: This arena has a totally different layout and hazards, such as Lava, Acid and a Shredder (so don't get too close to it), and a different strategy is also needed to achieve success. Matches on this arena are usually longer than other arenas due to its size.
Cursed Necropolis: This is a very short arena, and also has different hazards, including an almost insta-kill acid and treadmills. This arena can only be played in custom matches.
- Legacy - Temple of Sacrifice: This is the first version of the arena, and it can only be played in custom matches.
The Metal Pass is a system in which players have access to rewards by completing several missions that are released on weekly basis. These rewards are all renewed on every season, which lasts for approximately 75 days. Every season has a different theme, and the rewards are directly related with it.
The system has two different paths of rewards: Free and Premium. The Premium version can be purchased with Cash, the virtual currency of the game, and it costs 1.300 Cash ($9,99). If Premium is activated, players will get more missions and progress faster, and of course, Premium rewards are way more cool looking than free rewards.